Posts: 105
Threads: 15
Joined: Sep 2012
Finally ready to shoot my Grendel and zero my scope. I was shooting factory Hornday 123 A-max. I a have a Syrac adjustable gas block so I needed to adjust that too. I fired one round until the bolt would lock back. Once it did that I opened it a half turn more. During this progression I noticed the case mouths started to get dented or bent when they were ejected. Is this normal for the Grendel?
Also I was using an Alexander Arms 10 round magazine. I noticed the follower wouldn't always catch the bolt stop and push up to lock the bolt back. Compared to another magazine AR-Stoner that I have the AA mag has more play in the follower forward and backwards. If the follower is pushed forward in the mag the bolt stop won't be caught and the bolt closes. I think its a bad magazine. I have 2 more AR-Stoner mags to compare to, but haven't fired them in the gun yet.
Posts: 244
Threads: 20
Joined: Feb 2012
Not sure on the mag, it looks like a bad mag to me, I've had no problems with the AR Stoner mags. The bent cases can be caused by slight under gas assuming your upper has a shell deflector.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Posts: 2,737
Threads: 44
Joined: Aug 2013
You can do what many others have, and stick some velcro (fuzzy half) to the deflector. A search for ejector spring tuning will show you another option, as well, but this method demands your careful attention and the potential need for a spare ejector/takedown detent spring.
If you are still slightly under gassed, it can result in your failure to lock back, as well. Opening the gas block a bit more just might clear that up.
Posts: 105
Threads: 15
Joined: Sep 2012
I thought I would be over gassed if I was getting dented necks.
You can dial down the gas some, but I wouldn't recommend it, especially in Iowa, where the temp shift covers a wide range throughout the year. I have never been bothered by dented mouths, as they resize the same.
How does she shoot?
Posts: 240
Threads: 31
Joined: Jan 2013
place a piece of Velcro on the brass deflector, that will solve it, I had the same issue once upon a time.
Posts: 156
Threads: 7
Joined: Jan 2014
Outlaw, I had a bolt catch that was to short nosed. Can you compare yours to another unit?
"When you have to shoot... Shoot! Don't talk." Tuco Benedicto Pacifico Juan Maria Ramirez a.k.a. "The Rat".
Posts: 105
Threads: 15
Joined: Sep 2012
04-08-2014, 04:46 AM
(This post was last modified: 04-08-2014, 04:49 AM by outlaw45.)
I didn't know if that was normal for dented mouths or not. I'll try a little more gas but otherwise if should be ok to run.
I'll compare the bolt catch to another. I also replaced the follower with another and it looks better. Have yet try it.
Posts: 105
Threads: 15
Joined: Sep 2012
Second time out with the with the Grendel. Shooting factory Hornday 123 A-max I shot this 5 shot group, the last one I pulled cause I was getting excited it was so good.
Still working with the adjustable gas block.
Posts: 328
Threads: 3
Joined: Jan 2012
"the last one I pulled cause I was getting excited it was so good."
I know the feeling. love it.
Posts: 369
Threads: 53
Joined: Mar 2012
Dam!!!! that's my tee fine.
Hey I'm not a complete idiot I have parts missing. Though some times I wonder.
Grendellizing predators as of the fall of 2012.
Small bullets that go really fast, make me giggle...........