Received my Ruger American Predator today
#41
A couple of possible reasons the RAP comes with the flimsy stock,is to make it lightweight for hunters and to keep the price down.Depending on what you intend to do with the rifle,a chassis system might be a must.
Reply
#42
I just got a Ruger predator and 6.5 Grendel.The only thing I did so far was put a Gamma 65 break on it. I am waiting on an MDT chassis system free Ruger short action AR mag. MDT said that it won’t be here until Wednesday. my buddy came by after I got off work today and twisted my arm to take the Ruger predator to the range and try it out.I pt a Vortex Viper HS 6-24 x 50 on it.And I laser sighted it.
First shot was on paper third shot was in the bull’s-eye. this predator is as accurate as my buddy’s Predaor I shot last week. only problem the bolt is really tight. he was telling me it’s going to take a little while to loosen it up. I hate the stock. hopefully the MDT will make us more comfortable to shoot.
Reply
#43
Sounds like that's gonna be a nice setup!

Curious what the total weight difference is between your current setup and the MDT setup you're gonna have? I have the Magpul Hunter stock but it tips the scales at over 11lbs (rifle, stock, optics, etc), trying to cut that weight down and been thinking the MDT might be the solution without going back to the factory stock.
Reply
#44
TNhuntsman Wrote:Sounds like that's gonna be a nice setup!

Curious what the total weight difference is between your current setup and the MDT setup you're gonna have? I have the Magpul Hunter stock but it tips the scales at over 11lbs (rifle, stock, optics, etc), trying to cut that weight down and been thinking the MDT might be the solution without going back to the factory stock.

With the vortex Viper HS 6-24 x 50 my rig weighs 8 pounds as it sits right now.
MDT chassis system weighs 2 pounds when you add a carbine tube and stock it weighs around 4lbs. I?m thinking total weight will be somewhere around 10 pounds when I put the MDT chassis sys on.
I like the extra weight because I?m going to shoot up to 600 yards.In the future I may also get a rock Creek custom pre fit barrel 24 inches in length heavy contour and that will probably add 2 lbs pounds
Reply
#45
Under 10 lbs wouldn't be bad, I'm thinking of taking my RAP on a antelope hunt next year so looking to trim some weight so I can stalk the open range easier, over 10 lbs and I will just stick with my 18" Grendel AR which weighs 9.5 lbs.

Shooting from a bench the chassis with a little weight is probably nice, looking forward to some pics.
Reply
#46
TNhuntsman Wrote:Under 10 lbs wouldn't be bad, I'm thinking of taking my RAP on a antelope hunt next year so looking to trim some weight so I can stalk the open range easier, over 10 lbs and I will just stick with my 18" Grendel AR which weighs 9.5 lbs.

Shooting from a bench the chassis with a little weight is probably nice, looking forward to some pics.
On Wednesday I am receiving my MDT chassis sys. I can let you know exactly what it weighs. Or you can ask greyfox. He already installed his.
Reply
#47
That would be great if you could, I think I remember reading that Greyfox sent his back to Ruger to have them check to see if they could fix his feed issues.
Reply
#48
Was not aware of that. Anyway I got you covered. I will let you know once I get it set up.
Reply
#49
I've still got the chassis, buffer tube and Magpul CTR stock on it, I will weigh it once I get back from some meetings.
Sent the rifle back in with its factory stock.
"Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"
Reply
#50
TNhuntsman Wrote:Sounds like that's gonna be a nice setup!

Curious what the total weight difference is between your current setup and the MDT setup you're gonna have? I have the Magpul Hunter stock but it tips the scales at over 11lbs (rifle, stock, optics, etc), trying to cut that weight down and been thinking the MDT might be the solution without going back to the factory stock.

TNhuntsman Wrote:Under 10 lbs wouldn't be bad, I'm thinking of taking my RAP on a antelope hunt next year so looking to trim some weight so I can stalk the open range easier, over 10 lbs and I will just stick with my 18" Grendel AR which weighs 9.5 lbs.

Shooting from a bench the chassis with a little weight is probably nice, looking forward to some pics.


My CZ 527 Grendel American “Sporter”, with a 3-9x40 AO scope, has a total weight of 7 lbs 13.8 oz. Cool With a 24” barrel!
Reply
#51
Weight of my Mdt lss-xl gen 2/AR mag chassis for the ruger American predator grendel, with buffer tube, Magpul Ctr carbine buttstock and Magpul grip, 3 lb 1 oz.
"Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"
Reply
#52
My Ruger predator 6.5 Grendel weighs 5lbs 2 oz .Barreled action only.Stock removed.
Reply
#53
IIRC when I had it together it was about 9 lb, maybe 9 lb-1 oz. that was with 30 mm scope and rings.
"Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"
Reply
#54
As it sits,[ATTACH=CONFIG]15307[/ATTACH]in the pic.10.8 lbs
I like it heavy because I’m using it for target shooting. If I were going to use it for hunting I would’ve left it alone with the factory stock.


Attached Files Thumbnail(s)
   
Reply
#55
FLshooter Wrote:As it sits,[ATTACH=CONFIG]15307[/ATTACH]in the pic.10.8 lbs
I like it heavy because I’m using it for target shooting. If I were going to use it for hunting I would’ve left it alone with the factory stock.

Looks good! any feeding issues using ar mags?

Guess I'll stick with my magpul stock for now as I'm just over 11lbs including bipod, not much savings in weight to go to the MDT, thanks for weighing it.
Reply
#56
TNhuntsman Wrote:Looks good! any feeding issues using ar mags?

Guess I'll stick with my magpul stock for now as I'm just over 11lbs including bipod, not much savings in weight to go to the MDT, thanks for weighing it.
The C mag that comes with it is horrible.No jamming but didn?t feed rds smoothly.I switched over to ASC mags and I?m happy. I?ve only had it out twice.Once before I got the MDT stock and today.I?m using 123g Hornaday ELDM. Feeds well no problems.
So far I have close to 100 rounds through it. It?s getting broke in.I had three rounds in a five rd group touching. Appears to be very accurate.I?m gonna start doing some load development soon. And then I?ll start worrying about group sizes.
Reply
#57
What are you using for scope?
Reply
#58
FLshooter Wrote:The C mag that comes with it is horrible.No jamming but didn?t feed rds smoothly.I switched over to ASC mags and I?m happy. I?ve only had it out twice.Once before I got the MDT stock and today.I?m using 123g Hornaday ELDM. Feeds well no problems.
So far I have close to 100 rounds through it. It?s getting broke in.I had three rounds in a five rd group touching. Appears to be very accurate.I?m gonna start doing some load development soon. And then I?ll start worrying about group sizes.

Do the mags rock back and forth in the MDT chassis like they do in the factory stock?

I’m surprised the C mag doesn’t feed as well as the ACS. The ACS has much higher front lip than the C mag, that was seemingly causing issues in my gas guns. Interesting.

Edited: DNS had the same issue and even made a video about it.

https://youtu.be/0Axr5m1Daxc
Reply
#59
Harpoon1 Wrote:Do the mags rock back and forth in the MDT chassis like they do in the factory stock?

I’m surprised the C mag doesn’t feed as well as the ACS. The ACS has much higher front lip than the C mag, that was seemingly causing issues in my gas guns. Interesting.

Edited: DNS had the same issue and even made a video about it.

https://youtu.be/0Axr5m1Daxc
Yes the magazines still rock forward a bit. I have had no jams with either magazine. It’s just that I’ve noticed that with the c mag the rounds do not chamber smoothly. At first I thought that the bolt on the RAP needed to be broken in a bit to loosen up. But my buddy assured me it was the magazine. And he was right. As soon as I switched to ASC mags the round chambered smooth as glass.
Reply
#60
FLshooter Wrote:Yes the magazines still rock forward a bit. I have had no jams with either magazine. It?s just that I?ve noticed that with the c mag the rounds do not chamber smoothly. At first I thought that the bolt on the RAP needed to be broken in a bit to loosen up. But my buddy assured me it was the magazine. And he was right. As soon as I switched to ASC mags the round chambered smooth as glass.


I have both in 10 round and they both perform identical after I dropped the front edge of the ASC mag to match the C Prod that was not catching the mouth of the brass just like DNS was showing in his vid of the ASC. I eventually chamfered the inside edge of both of them with a file for piece of mind of not catching the brass mouth.

Both were very "stiff" chambering at first and needed pretty snappy operation of the Predator's bolt to get the rounds stripped and chambered. Now it is much smoother just over time with usage.
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)