Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Mouflon Ram Hunt
#21
Mouflon have a white saddle patch and a shorter coat; your looks like a hybrid of some sort.
Mouflon:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]14292[/ATTACH]


Attached Files Thumbnail(s)
   
Reply
#22
Jimla Wrote:Welcome to the big island, let me know if you ever come back. I have seen many very large herds 40+ near the road but never tried to hunt.

Thank you. I usually make a trip to Big Island and Kauai every year to hunt with my island Ohana. During my trips, I've seen Goats close to the road but not Mouflons. Mahalo
Reply
#23
mbogo Wrote:Mouflon have a white saddle patch and a shorter coat; your looks like a hybrid of some sort.
Mouflon:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]14292[/ATTACH]
Mbogo, there are five subspecies of Mouflon. Armenian, European, Cyprus, Laristan and Esfahan. Not all look like the one in the picture in your post. I do enjoy hunting them.
Reply
#24
I'm aware of that.
European mouflon is above.

Armenian mouflon:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]14293[/ATTACH]
Cyprian mouflon:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]14294[/ATTACH]

Isfahan mouflon:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]14295[/ATTACH]

Laristan mouflon:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]14296[/ATTACH]

None look like the one in the OP.


Attached Files Thumbnail(s)
               
Reply
#25
May not be 100% Mouflon Sheep, here in hawaii we have Mouflon-feral hybrid sheep, a mix of Mouflon and domestic sheep that escaped in the late1800s during a major lava flow that completely covered and wipe out very large sheep farm.The Mouflon came to the island in the 1950s. The sheep I see by the road are Mouflon-feral hybrid sheep, heavy on domestic sheep. The Ram photo above is very heavy on the Mouflon, but could have a touch of domestic sheep that change color. Pure Mouflon live higher on the volcanos and feral sheep live lower, in between they mix.

https://dlnr.hawaii.gov/recreation/hunting/mammal/
Reply
#26
Djgrendel Wrote:Excellent!!

Thank you. I was very proud to get him.
Reply
#27
Jimla Wrote:May not be 100% Mouflon Sheep, here in hawaii we have Mouflon-feral hybrid sheep, a mix of Mouflon and domestic sheep that escaped in the late1800s during a major lava flow that completely covered and wipe out very large sheep farm.The Mouflon came to the island in the 1950s. The sheep I see by the road are Mouflon-feral hybrid sheep, heavy on domestic sheep. The Ram photo above is very heavy on the Mouflon, but could have a touch of domestic sheep that change color. Pure Mouflon live higher on the volcanos and feral sheep live lower, in between they mix.

https://dlnr.hawaii.gov/recreation/hunting/mammal/

Maholo my brother. If it's a Mouflon with a touch of domestic, so be it. I'm still very proud of this Big Island Ram and having a shoulder mount made. It's at the Taxidermist now.

[Image: 47929541866_10b085618d_b.jpg]
Reply
#28
I'd be proud of that sheep too. Pure or partial Mouflon, it's a nice animal. Any idea how much it weighed? Post some photos of the mount when you get it back.
Reply
#29
Squid Wrote:Maholo my brother. If it's a Mouflon with a touch of domestic, so be it. I'm still very proud of this Big Island Ram and having a shoulder mount made. It's at the Taxidermist now.

[Image: 47929541866_10b085618d_b.jpg]

I would be proud of that Mouflon, best one I have seen it deserves to be mounted. I was just sharing the Hawaii history with others, explaining why a Mouflon could be missing the white spot that another person commented earlier about being a hybrid, in my book it is a Mouflon not "a hybrid", they look much different.
Reply
#30
Michael-95037 Wrote:I'd be proud of that sheep too. Pure or partial Mouflon, it's a nice animal. Any idea how much it weighed? Post some photos of the mount when you get it back.

Thanks. I didn't get a chance to weight him. When I get the shoulder mount back I will definitely post pictures.
Reply
#31
Awesome
Story!!
Reply
#32
Ya made me look for a old pic!! I found it too! Wink My first Mouflon Ram. Circa 1993 Right after building my 6.5/06. 1909 Argentine ?98 Mauser action. 120 Ballistic tip 3250 fps. Est 3K impact vel. Thru and thru penetration.

[Image: EEF3C95D-BD87-4046-936A-8007337EA165_zpsrotwdnpl.jpeg]

Shot was about 300 yards on a preserve. (Not wild sheep) I have it mounted and its beautiful almost two full curls and almost all grey. It was iver 10yrs old.

Great memories!

CW
Reply
#33
Congrats on a fine Ram and great hunt. Memories and pride in the game an hunt are what make animals trophies to me.
Reply
#34
Hell of an animal , congratulations
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)