Posts: 3
Threads: 2
Joined: Jun 2019
im looking at buying a maxim cqb brace for a 6.5 grendel pistol build , there are several buffer options , regular and silent captured spring and weight choices , kinda leaning toward the captured spring one but its about 100.00 more than regular buffer and spring and didnt know if its worth the extra cost , and which weight the grendel needs , need advice and opinions
Posts: 1,787
Threads: 49
Joined: Feb 2016
Both of my short barrel grendels have jpscs h2. I also shoot suppressed and have adjustable gas blocks.
Posts: 990
Threads: 14
Joined: Sep 2014
I’m running H3 with a heavy buffer spring made for a 458 SOCOM. Also running an adjustable gasblock. This gun is only shot suppressed, and I wanted to keep from beating the rifle to pieces and try to minimize ejection port noise. Runs like a top with 123 grain pills.
Member since 2011, data lost in last hack attack
Posts: 27
Threads: 5
Joined: Sep 2018
I have a Ballistic Advantage 12.5, runs good with a standard carbine buffer and spring. I have 500 or so on it, zero issues. Ejection is about 3:30, recoil feels about the same as my 16" mid with carbine buffer and spring.
Posts: 384
Threads: 25
Joined: Jan 2017
Am thinking about going the opposite direction with my AA 11" build. Going to try a LW carrier and reduced buffer/spring while turning my AGB down to use just enough gas to cycle properly. If it works, as expected, should not only cause less wear and tear but also reduce recoil and weight.
"Wild flower, growin' thru the cracks in the street" - Problem Child by Little Big Town
Posts: 3
Threads: 2
Joined: Jun 2019
thank you all for your advice in what works , i've made my decision , gonna get one on order , thanks
Posts: 155
Threads: 9
Joined: Aug 2018
H3 for sure. Make sure its a stubby. Joe bob outfitters or primary arms.
MS
Posts: 155
Threads: 9
Joined: Aug 2018
Posts: 162
Threads: 3
Joined: Jan 2019
41bear Wrote:Am thinking about going the opposite direction with my AA 11" build. Going to try a LW carrier and reduced buffer/spring while turning my AGB down to use just enough gas to cycle properly. If it works, as expected, should not only cause less wear and tear but also reduce recoil and weight.
Hi Bear,
Id really like to hear how this turns out, and what carrier, buffer, and spring you use. What range of bullet weights do you plan to use with this build?
Posts: 162
Threads: 2
Joined: May 2017
After quite a few builds the H2 is the overall favorite in numerous cartridges for a pistol build. However... We just finished my son's AR pistol in 300 BLK and it far preferred the lowly carbine buffer over an H1 or H2 buffer. So my suggestion is to start with an inexpensive carbine buffer and test from there. I do not run a suppressor so can't comment on that from personal experience.
Posts: 1,918
Threads: 79
Joined: Oct 2016
My 12.7 runs great with a standard carbine weight buffer. I would do your research and ensure the gas port is properly sized. Grendel runs great in my GB faxon with no special parts, no AGB, no special spring.
Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.
Posts: 384
Threads: 25
Joined: Jan 2017
Growler Wrote:Hi Bear,
I’d really like to hear how this turns out, and what carrier, buffer, and spring you use. What range of bullet weights do you plan to use with this build?
My build, so far, the AA 11" barrel, ARP lw linear comp and bolt, Aero upper, WOJTEK weaponry Adj GB, RBT light weight bolt and reduced power buffer spring. Am going with carbine buffer to start with to see how it runs. The upper is complete save for the bolt, spring, and bcg small parts. My plan is to use bullets in the 85 to 105 range plus I want to try out the Nosler 129 gr. LR.
Not sure when I'll be able to test, health reasons, but hopefully by November because I really want to hunt with it this year. At 78 time is short.
Plan to post results once weapon is shot.
"Wild flower, growin' thru the cracks in the street" - Problem Child by Little Big Town
Posts: 625
Threads: 34
Joined: Nov 2018
Just to add for posterity.
I have the 12.5" inch PSA nitride upper with adjustable gas block turned way down.
Muzzle brake is the M11 Severe-Duty .264 cal, big blast.
Spikes Tactical T3 Heavy Tungsten Carbine Buffer 5.5 oz.
If I use midrange loads with an 85 grain bullet, recoil is zero and there is a noticeable two part action with the bolt going back, then forward. Still locks back though. I may have a slightly stronger spring.
Full power loads work normal.
Posts: 8,507
Threads: 241
Joined: Sep 2014
I used the standard tiny buffer with the Maxim PDW brace kit, along with the short, stiff spring that comes with it.
Works great on 12" Grendel pistols in conjunction with the Bootleg Adjustable Gas bolt carrier.
NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO
CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor
6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:
www.AR15buildbox.com
|