Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Post Load Data Alliant Power Pro 2000-MR with 120gr Projectiles
#21
I think Hornady's data for the 120-123 gr pills is probably somewhat conservative, since it is limited by the 120 gr GMX being included in the mix. That monometal bullet has a longer bearing surface than the others, thus generating higher pressures. However, it is the only published data for CFE that I'm aware of. If there's other pressure tested data out there, I'd like to see it.
Reply
#22
Another difference is Hornady 9th addition manual for the 6.5 Grendel is a 14.5” barrel that is pin and welded to 16”. I think the 10th edition Hornady uses an 18” AR-15 barrel but I don’t own that manual. Speer and Sierra use a universal receiver with 24” test barrel for obtaining their data. Speer nor Sierra list their pressures for maximum charges, I’m curious if their data actually test lower than 50,000 PSI. Western powders list the pressure for each powder bullet combination and use a 20” 6.5 Grendel barrel.

All these differences in manuals makes it difficult to predict how each individual barrel will perform with data listed in loading manuals. After testing reloads in my AR-15 6.5 Grendels I’ve observed trends but I test each new powder and bullet by loading low and gradually working up. With the high ballistic coefficient of .264/6.5 bullets I rarely load maximum charges especially with ball powders that are sensitive to high temperatures.
Reply
#23
Ended up 175 FPS below Speers velocity numbers (18” vs 24”Wink.

Temp: 65 degrees , 57% humidity , wind 10-15 mph from 5 o’clock
Powder: Power Pro 2000-MR

Started at 29.2 grains : 2250/2251/2278/2273 FPS

[ATTACH=CONFIG]11148[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]11166[/ATTACH]

29.7 grains : 2320/2288/2309/2298/2306 FPS

[ATTACH=CONFIG]11149[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]11167[/ATTACH]

30.2 grains : 2360/2346/2345/2342/2345 FPS

[ATTACH=CONFIG]11150[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]11168[/ATTACH]

30.7 grains : 2392/2382/2382/2395/2371 FPS

[ATTACH=CONFIG]11151[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]11169[/ATTACH]

31.4 grains : 2441/2435/2452/2437/2436

[ATTACH=CONFIG]11152[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]11170[/ATTACH]

I like that it put 4 in one hole at 31.4 grains and so I’ll probably load at this level
and monitor for temp sensitivity over the next 12 months

Brass looks fine


Attached Files Thumbnail(s)
                       
               
Reply
#24
VASCAR2 Wrote:Another difference is Hornady 9th addition manual for the 6.5 Grendel is a 14.5” barrel that is pin and welded to 16”. I think the 10th edition Hornady uses an 18” AR-15 barrel but I don’t own that manual. Speer and Sierra use a universal receiver with 24” test barrel for obtaining their data. Speer nor Sierra list their pressures for maximum charges, I’m curious if their data actually test lower than 50,000 PSI. Western powders list the pressure for each powder bullet combination and use a 20” 6.5 Grendel barrel.

All these differences in manuals makes it difficult to predict how each individual barrel will perform with data listed in loading manuals. After testing reloads in my AR-15 6.5 Grendels I’ve observed trends but I test each new powder and bullet by loading low and gradually working up. With the high ballistic coefficient of .264/6.5 bullets I rarely load maximum charges especially with ball powders that are sensitive to high temperatures.

Wasn't that the Hornady 8 that's 14.5 pinned to 16? My 9th edition says it's an 18" barrel for Grendel... but you're right in the differences betw all the mfr books. Add to that any differences in rifle frictions as well...
"Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"
Reply
#25
Your probably right on it being the 8th edition manual grayfox. I’ve got older Hornady and Speer manuals from the early 80’s and I can’t ever remember their edition numbers.
Reply
#26
I didn't get anywhere close to the speed or groupings of the Sierra Pro Hunters with this Prvi Partisan hollow point boat tail.

These are disappointing first results because the bullet was loaded long and is sleeker than the aforementioned Sierra bullet.

Quite strange.... BUT that's why we share. Speaking of sharing, get your loads posted it can surely help me with where to go next on the Prvi....

Weather: 51 degrees / 61% humidity / wind 10-15 mph from the 5 o'clock position - 100 yards

18" barrel / 3x fired Hornady brass / CCI 450 primers / Power Pro 2000-MR powder / COAL: 2.2855"

These fit in an AR Stoner magazine and fed from the magazine just fine

30.5 grains: 2300/2316/2301/2334/2331 FPS

[ATTACH=CONFIG]11234[/ATTACH]

30.8 grains: 2324/2353/2341/2348/2364 FPS

[ATTACH=CONFIG]11235[/ATTACH]

31.2 grains: 2381/2398/2389/2425/2392

[ATTACH=CONFIG]11236[/ATTACH]

31.5 grains: 2424/2428/2414/2418/2423 FPS

[ATTACH=CONFIG]11237[/ATTACH]

I'd like to try this out one more time but using somebodies COAL (base to tip) that is known to be accurate for them.

I shot a group of 3 of the Sierra Pro Hunters right after these Prvi(s) and they went into .740" so it definitely wasn't the shooter or the gun with respect to the large groups above.


Attached Files Thumbnail(s)
               
Reply
#27
The privies could also be a harder surface than the sierra's... bearing surface differences; lots of variables, but doesn't seem like the prv's are your bullet to choose.
"Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"
Reply
#28
No direct experience, but I'd expect Sierra to make a better (more consistent and more accurate) bullet than PRVI.

I'm guessing the ProHunter has a longer bearing surface than the PRVI and since it's loaded shorter, then you should have a smaller case capacity. Both of these should result in higher pressure and therefore more velocity.
Reply
#29
Drilled a few pigs last night with the 120 grain Sierra Pro Hunter handloads

195 yards - 175lb boar , dropped but had to administer a put down shot as we approached.

75 yards - 2 120 lb boars , dropped on the spot and my fellow hunter administered Quality Assurance shots immediately after

All in all the bullet disabled the pigs quite nicely , no tracking needed , a video will be added to DoubleNaughtSpy’s thread in the hunting forum
Reply
#30
More recovered bullet stats for the 125 grain Sierra Pro Hunter: its been effective even though the cup and core are separating.

Video of the hunt is in Double Naught Spys "9 hogs down" thread in the hunting section

Sierra Pro Hunter - handloads (my ammo):

[Image: jEQGZkQ.jpg]
[Image: jlycBjE.jpg]
[Image: rBbmSlJ.jpg]
[Image: pudsZ0q.jpg]
Reply
#31
The Sierra 6.5/264 Pro Hunter product number #1720 are 120 grains BC .356, still a good accurate bullet at shorter range.
Reply
#32
Yup I got the weight wrong
Reply
#33
Power Pro 2000 MR has had a reputation for higher velocities than other powders in.308, and 5.56 with heavier bullets, and that has been my exp. also.
I am getting ready this week to be testing the Speer Gold dot 120's with this powder, I will post results when I have some.

Speed without accuracy isn't going to cut it though.

Next is going to be Power Pro Varmint under the 120 GD's
Reply
#34
HuntTXhogs Wrote:I’ll admit, I’ve stepped away from the 6.5 Grendel a few times over the last 5 years never really delving into the scene that extends beyond posted powders and speeds.

I’m not devoted or bought in for that level of immersion but I acknowledge that a good sum of the community here has done the due diligence to find recipes that make 2590-2620 out of a 24” barrel a reality.

That said, I’m looking at two reloading sources Speer and Sierra and out of 28 listed loads , 2 are described as being able to hit the mark.

So from that perspective I feel as though the venture to see what one of these powders will do with a couple different 120 grain bullets has informational value and possible hunting applications.

I feel somewhat safer in following a book being that I am a casual Grendel user...


Hunt tx hogs: This year I developed a 97 gr absolute hammer load with pp varmint for my 16 in ruger BOLT carbine that shoots 5 shot 3/4 inch groups at 3020 fps. Had it up to 3080 before I found extractor marks and ran ladders from 31 grains. In a 22 inch gun it would travel over 3100 fps making the Grendel a magnum capable of killing at 6 to 700 yds. The 85 hammer i shot the year before right at 3k without pushing it. These bullets are devastating to big game and i urge you to check out my posts on the 97 hammer on the hammer forum is it has all the terminal results, I will never shoot a hog or any other with anything game but hammers ever again.

I'm working up a 2800 to 2900 fps load for my gas gun (20 inch bbl) Be safe shoot flat!!
Reply
#35
Glad to see that I am not alone in finding that Sierra pro hunters are the most accurate in your gun(so far). Bummer that all the work with the Privi ended up for naught. Been there chasing accurate loads with some bullets/powder. Double check the Privi bullet diameter. I have heard some of their bullets don’t spec out at proper diameter and are undersized
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)