Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Parts Starting to Disappear
#21
A lot of people think that they will save a ton of cash by rolling their own and LR makes a great point to those with that mentality.

I won't lie... I bought everything to reload for .308 based on that thought and rapidly came to the same conclusion LR1955 is alluding to. Black Hills Match 175s shot as good or better out of my then current LR rig than any handload I could build up and the cost difference wasn't that great so my ROI was low... and I sold everything.

When I got into the 6.5s I bought it all again just because I COULD make a better load than was available for my Desert Tech SRS in 6.5x47 Lapua. Yep, my ROI is still low - but now I really just enjoy loading and use it for my "quiet time." I just finished my build and the Hornady 123 SST rounds are shooting very well so no plans to load for it. But the bonus I now have is that should I decide to load for the Grendel; I have everything for it.
Reply
#22
Thank god I've already got all my parts for my 308 build 🙌
Joshua 1:9
Reply
#23
I basically bought the following two years ago and have not found the need to sell anything yet:

Press - $150 (RCBS)
Dies - $32 (Hornady)
Powder measure - $66 (Hornady)
Powder trickler - $12 (Hornady)
Elec powder scale - $120 (RCBS)
Case trimmer - $72 (Little Crow)
Tumbler - $90 (RCBS)
Media separator - $37 (RCBS)

Total - $579 (current prices at MidwayUSA)

Add another $100 for misc stuff and you can reload whatever you want. It costs me about 45 cents a round for Grendel and 55-60 cents a piece for 243 and 308. My son and I shoot at least 200 rounds of each a month. If I average around a 50% savings that saves me at least $250 a month. It doesn't take long to make back your investment.

If I only fired 50 rounds a month, it wouldn't be worth my time.

I do keep a good stock of powder, primers, bullets and brass. I remember trying to find those items last time.....
Reply
#24
Clays23 Wrote:Thank god I've already got all my parts for my 308 build 🙌

What's your parts list for your .308 build?
NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)