Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Parts Starting to Disappear
#1
Hey guys, just a friendly reminder to all of you with projects in the works...

Parts are disappearing from retailers and distributors at a very rapid pace. RSR Distributing in Dallas/Fort Worth is out of lowers and the 338 DPMS Oracle rifles they had in stock last night are already gone.

Snatch up the lowers, parts kits and bolts you need ASAP.
Reply
#2
I have been seeing that as well
Reply
#3
And don't forget reloading supplies!
Reply
#4
yep hillary clinton just dropped the stars and stripes and hoisted the black flag---
Reply
#5
Both Hillary and Obama are calling for the assault weapons ban to be brought back and even Fox News is jumping on the anti-AR15 bandwagon calling it "common sense". It doesn't look good....
Reply
#6
A few people need to be reminded:

First they came for my AR, then they came for your Glock.

High capacity magazines, reference New York and California.
Reply
#7
They will only get mine from my dead cold hands.
Reply
#8
I just ordered a spare bolt and a couple of extractors, just in case they become unavailable at the moment I happen to need one. I've resisted the urge to buy more uppers/lowers etc, and think I will lay in a few more kegs of powder and primers when I can.
Reply
#9
The latest terror attack in Orlando resulted in my ordering the parts for an upper build a little sooner than I had planned. I knew the anti-gun push would come within hours and it did. I have a feeling bad times are on the way again.
Reply
#10
Ordering things for the group buy, luckily I have/had some parts already and what I have ordered I ordered two of. Was thinking about selling an upper/rifle but after what happened this past weekend might just have to keep it as a collect piece. Stuff is flying off the shelves as folks are buying what ever they can.
Reply
#11
As of Friday morning both bolts from Alexander and the 4 & 17 rd mags are all 3-4 weeks out. Just a friendly note.
Reply
#12
RicosRevenge Wrote:Snatch up the lowers, parts kits and bolts you need ASAP.

Rather self fulfilling advice/panic.

It equates to "hurry and buy this stuff because people are hurrying to buy this stuff!"

Threads like this are not doing anyone favors.
Reply
#13
the real panic has not started yet cause hillary ain't in office yet--

this is just the tremors before the big one---
Reply
#14
Maplebacon Wrote:..It equates to "hurry and buy this stuff because people are hurrying to buy this stuff!"
I hear you!

My first exposure to that phenomenon was in 1970 when I desperately needed grease pencils -- we used them to record events during air strikes by writing on the window for reference at the end of the event or mission.

Our operations were remote from our home base and I could get to there only once a month or so. All of us stocked up as soon as we saw supplies on the shelves because it might be months before the the shelves would be restocked and have anything the next time I was at the base The net result was some of us had more than we could use and some of us had none depending on luck and timing.

I saw it happen later in the states in more than one institutional store room.

We have all seen it happen with guns, ammunition and compnents when gun control zealots are in charge of national affairs.

So, while I agree that rushing to buy early may not be fair to others, enough folks will do it anyway that about the only real option is buy early and heavily if one wants to have reasonably secure stocks.
shootersnotes.com

"To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
-- Author Unknown

"If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished!" -- Milton Berle
Reply
#15
some reasons the panic is not off with a bang this time are--

there has been so many panics before that most folks are well stocked up--

and

the obama economy is so bad that people no longer have the cash to spend on a panic buy-- like they did in the past.

i think that folks overbought the last few times too-- lol

there was sort of an AR glut before the panic too--

my advise would be -- just buy what you need and slowly stock up on deals before HRC goes in-- it ain't time to panic "yet"-
Reply
#16
Maplebacon Wrote:Rather self fulfilling advice/panic.

It equates to "hurry and buy this stuff because people are hurrying to buy this stuff!"

Threads like this are not doing anyone favors.

Actually, it simply equates to giving a friendly heads up to people in a community (this forum) who have builds working and could possibly end up not being able to finish on the timeline or budget that they had previously set based on a personal observation. Sooo... if this thread reminded ONE person in this community to grab an item they needed which is now on back-order or worse; then it served the purpose.
Reply
#17
Coincidentally, I've been thinking to stock up on reloading materials these past several weeks. My dilemma is that I haven't done any reloading at all. When I read about others' experiences with reloading, and subsequent accuracy, I get the impression that same brass, powder, etc., can be highly aligned with the barrel, and maybe more.

So, my question is for those experienced with this 'what would you do'? Would you stock up on supplies and powders, and hope that you've basically got it right? Or is that too close to buying a pig in a poke? No telling what's in store come November, but the anti-gun grabbers seem to have the edge. If the Clinton Crook gets in office, there's probably hell to pay for gun owners. And that's why I'm thinking to take the reload route.

I've read several articles on reloading (ie, http://www.shootingtimes.com/reloading/h...del-shine/), related to propellants, brass, bullets, etc., so there's a slew of information out there. But that hardly makes me an expert.

I'm interested mostly in target shooting, 300 yards +, and with an eye on the economics.

Any ideas on whether it makes sense to stock up on reloading supplies would be a appreciated.
Reply
#18
TomSawyerNW Wrote:Coincidentally, I've been thinking to stock up on reloading materials these past several weeks. My dilemma is that I haven't done any reloading at all. When I read about others' experiences with reloading, and subsequent accuracy, I get the impression that same brass, powder, etc., can be highly aligned with the barrel, and maybe more.

So, my question is for those experienced with this 'what would you do'? Would you stock up on supplies and powders, and hope that you've basically got it right? Or is that too close to buying a pig in a poke? No telling what's in store come November, but the anti-gun grabbers seem to have the edge. If the Clinton Crook gets in office, there's probably hell to pay for gun owners. And that's why I'm thinking to take the reload route.

I've read several articles on reloading (ie, http://www.shootingtimes.com/reloading/h...del-shine/), related to propellants, brass, bullets, etc., so there's a slew of information out there. But that hardly makes me an expert.

I'm interested mostly in target shooting, 300 yards +, and with an eye on the economics.

Any ideas on whether it makes sense to stock up on reloading supplies would be a appreciated.

TS:

"brass, powder, etc., can be highly aligned with the barrel, and maybe more."

I guess Shooting Times did what most gun rags do, make it seem like you will blow up your rifle and the surrounding 100 miles unless you get accepted into some secret society of handloaders who 'know the truth'.

There are numerous threads on the Grendel Reloading forum that are pretty explicit about the most popular powders, primers, brass, and bullets being shot by Grendel shooters today. Same with equipment.

And it doesn't take a real long time to learn how to hand load. And it is not a science. More a boring task that lets a shooter produce ammo at about 30% less than buying it, providing you buy your components in bulk.

The initial outlay will be extremely expensive. Your gear will run you in the neighborhood of $1500.00 or so. Buying powder, bullets, primers, and brass in bulk will be another couple thousand.

Sure, you can buy cheap presses, measures, etc but you will be trying to sell them within a year. And buying powder, primers, and bullets at your local gun shop will cost almost as much if not more than buying the loaded ammo in bulk from an on line ammo seller.

I think your break even point may be if you intend on shooting more than about 200 rounds a month. Then if you want to spend a rather large sum of money as an initial outlay on gear and bulk components.

LR55
Reply
#19
Thanks, LR55. I think you make a very good case to stick with my current factory rounds. I didn't do enough due diligence to know the investment would be in that range. I have had pretty good luck with PPU ammo, so I think I'll stock up on that, and if ever find enough time to shoot 200/month, I'll look harder into self-loading. Thanks, again.
Reply
#20
TomSawyerNW Wrote:Thanks, LR55. I think you make a very good case to stick with my current factory rounds. I didn't do enough due diligence to know the investment would be in that range. I have had pretty good luck with PPU ammo, so I think I'll stock up on that, and if ever find enough time to shoot 200/month, I'll look harder into self-loading. Thanks, again.

TS:

Normally the first question we ask a guy who wants to start hand loading is 'how many rounds a week / month will you shoot'. I was probably a bit low by giving the number as 200 rounds a month. I think somewhere around 500 a month of rifle ammo may be more appropriate. And if you bought 32 pounds of powder, 10K primers, and about 5K bullets at a pop to get bulk prices without going over DOT shipping fees, it would still probably take you three years before you broke even on your initial equipment investment. Someone on the handloading forum figured this out about a month ago.

Do remember that you can always sell your once fired brass. Once or twice a month someone who buys their ammo sells the brass on the Grendel Buy and Sell forum.

LR55
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)