Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
(Cheaped out) BCA 20"
#61
Crracer712 Wrote:You've posted this on any form that would listen. Most would have simple done a minor alteration, fit it and be done with it.

My 24" Grendel is still functioning flawless, shoots great! I'm contemplating a 20" Grendel, or even an 18"


My thinking as I read your post. It would have been a simple fix here. Long time Airgun Smith, lol, I have a large background of methods. Some call it Junkyard? It's not!
So far I am happy with my cheap out deal. Not really concerned at this point with the barrel. The barrel has shown me it will shoot. With all the changes from the start one can not expect the gun to be as many want. Changes make a difference as you go to your accuracy till you bond with the gun.
I play hard and make changes. Main thing right now is making the gun fit me!
The barrel is an easy replacement. Costly yes but not out of the question. I like underdogs! Making what others can not shoot has been me. High dollar beside a cheap out and shoots with the high dollar has always been my thing. But I like good guns as well.
Airgun world can be much more costly than powder burners if one really gets into it.
I mentioned $2000 for a pcp? Crazy but I have had at least 6 at one time. That's not including scopes, compressor and all the other that go with that hobby.
This is another out for and old man. I still build spring guns and PCP guns. Plus I tinker with PB'S guns.
Just glad to share as I have with my AG hobby. Don't do as I do and expect the same results. Lol
It's all fun and when the fun stops so does the hobby. Not my 1st rodeo.
Hope BCA corrected your issue. If my barrel does not impress me I'm not wasting time and shipping with BCA. I'LL CHAULK it up and move on.
Now to build a lower for my extra sig .223/5.56 upper.
Reply
#62
Time to brake the lead sled out and move out to the 100 yards mark. Snow yesterday and cold temps today. Took a brake today. I got 2 AG' I got to finish for customers. Full day tommorow.
Reply
#63
Not that I was not warned but I have been out of the Grendel playing due to a blem in the chamber of the BCA barrel. I've held off on the report while testing the waters of BCA's warranty. I have to say it was painless. Contacting them was no problem. Quick action was taken on their part to work the problem. A quick return label was created the same day I replied back with them with pictures showing what I found on the last good cleaning.
BCA worked with me great on the return and replacement. I elected a full credit and though hard on another route? I elected to continue with another BCA UPPER BUT WENT WITH THE 24" 416R UPPER.
I talked with them on the replacement with a full QC going over on the replacement and had it noted prior to shipping to go over all the barrel from inside out. As we all know they claim a full going over of the new product and my issue could have been overlooked. I say could have, it was. As to the accuracy of the 1st upper I still think the barrel was coming around. Id made so many changes on the set up making the gun fit me that after the last round of shooting all seemed good on accuracy.
I rolled the dice 1 more time. I still look at this as a cheap learning curve on the grendel. I'm out nothing but the difference in the 20" vs the 24" which was little. I did pay shipping again but received the 1st shipping refunded. Now just time and the ammo I shot. I got the opportunity to test out the compensator. Or the blaster! LOL I still may revisit that again later. With all the barrels available I can always rebarrel what I have if needed.
I'm not into this gun as many on name brand, 1000 yard accuracy and HIGH DOLLAR goods. I am making this a work in progress on a budget.
As to BCA, I have to give it to them on their warranty and customer service. For what they sell these uppers for price wise and if you luck out and get a good one it's all good. Plus one can get a full refund and go elsewhere and try your luck where the odds are better. There is always going to be a lemon in any brand or product. Trust me I know over the many years of Hobby's. I've had my share of them and this is just another trip down the road.
So here you have it. I said I would tell all my experience. I'm not bashing anyone and again I Knew what I was getting into at the beginning.
THANKS ALL!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]13598[/ATTACH]


Attached Files Thumbnail(s)
   
Reply
#64
Upper arrived early morning!
Gave it the full going over. Got to say this one is nice.
Fit the lower tight. All the barrel from 1 end to the other without a bore scope but with magnifying glass and light was fine.
The thing came out of the gate shooting with no scope adj still at the 40 yard mark on paper and grouping. High winds and 68 today.
I started off with some buffer weight changing and it did not take long to see that the gun did not need and weight changes. Carbine buffer did all it was meant to do vs the heavier.
A slow shoot and clean break in with the Fusions. Last 10 you could almost cover with a quarter. Had 2 back up shooter errors. No where near most on the forum standards. The wind had me moving and a new upper. It can only get better from here. 20 down the barrel and I'm done for the day.
The replacement was fast and painless. SO far the adventure has taking a turn for the good on a cheap out start.
Glad I did get the 24" 416R now. The length and weigh is not bad. Fully dressed the 20" was heavy. That extra barrel weight may have helped balance the gun out.
For the bench I did get a 10 shot mag. Hangs out of the mag well about an inch.
Very LARGE day and ending it with a big smile!
[Image: 4724.jpg]
Reply
#65
Sshhhhhh!

My experence has been fine, but I'm building with some of their parts. I got the BCA 7.62X39 bolt head, side charge carrier and a side charge upper for $119.00 and a 16" SS heavy barrel chambered in 7.62X39. With my barrel nut w/hand guard...attached my new Night Shot digital NV scope and my lower for a 100yd hog hunting gun.

Already had it to the range and shot it out to 200yds. I was super impressed with the rig. I ran it with oil that came on it...no failures at all!

Here is a 200 yard target I shot with my 20" two weeks ago. We had a 90 degree gusty wind 12 to 18 mph! The high shot was walking it in...remember this was shot at 200yds.


Attached Files Thumbnail(s)
   
Reply
#66
I would claim that target. I changed out scope yesterday and raise the scope with tactical weaver rings to My Hawke Airmax. PB rated, nice glass and reticle. The Pentalux IS A MUCH BETTER SCOPE but it has a black dot MOA RETICLE. Paper punching the dot is rather large. The Hawke is a descend scope so to my Cheaped out go around I want to give it a try. I'm waiting to buy a SWFA 12X MAYBE?
Reply
#67
FANGGHOSTWOLF Wrote:I would claim that target. I changed out scope yesterday and raise the scope with tactical weaver rings to My Hawke Airmax. PB rated, nice glass and reticle. The Pentalux IS A MUCH BETTER SCOPE but it has a black dot MOA RETICLE. Paper punching the dot is rather large. The Hawke is a descend scope so to my Cheaped out go around I want to give it a try. I'm waiting to buy a SWFA 12X MAYBE?

From what I have read SWFA is a kill route to go for the money. 12X though will limit you to only long range hunting. If you are just shooting paper then no problem, but if you have to find and track a moving animal in your scope at 100 yards or less...it's going to be tricky with 12X.
Reply
#68
I shoot everything on 10x as it is. 25 yards and out to 100 yards. 12x is not going to be that much different for me. Or at least I do not think.
The only thing on the SWFA is the 42mm objective. I prefer 50mm 30 mm tube. 44mm is ok.
I've been trying some 10x fixed power on the AIRGUNS and so far I have no issues at 25 yards, but that is not just in paper. 50-100 yards kills have been made.

Might just have to deal with the HiLux Pentalux center dot. Same scope is on my old 06 and hunting wise I have no issue with the dot.
On my bolt gun I run the HiLux M1200 ART 6-24X50MM 30MM tube with the adjustable 1 peice mount. No issues 50 yards out. Love the camputer technical part. It does not have the dot. HiLux makes a good scope.

But we will see how the HAWKE does for now.
Reply
#69
Weather has held me back on testing. This CHEAPED OUT deal has ran the bill up with items. lol
NON essential items but I'M getting all that I want to balance this gun out to fit me. Ammo is on the shelve.
With all your help and others, I am moving forward. This is not a hurry up GET UR DONE thing. I'm already the underdog in this game. Defeat is just a thing. I'm not worried about the 2nd BCA upper replacement. so far with what little testing I am way ahead?
A great project playing as I can for now. I am now better schooled on the 6.5 now. That's not saying much? Still got a ways to go!
I'm still thinking of the 6.5 grendel in a bolt gun? But the AR platform is here for now.

I am throwing to many changes to my original plan on this adventure. But the gun has to fit the shooter. Cheaped out or not. IT's an expensive run regardless. BUILD THE WALL!Cool

THANKS!


Attached Files Thumbnail(s)
   
Reply
#70
After a long time of jacked up weather I was able to do some shooting.
I've made many changes since the break in shooting. Scope change and scope heigth. Fixed stock and much more.
In my book my Tomato stake BCA 24" barreled upper is a shooter. I'm still at the 45 yard bench mark but I can stack at least 4 out of 5 shots on top or beside the poi. Much of any thing else is the Gunner. Had to get back in tune with the Larue trigger change. Old Senior citizen moment.
On the scope change I did not remove the flash hidder to bore sight. I used the old school upper vised and sighted the scope through the bore. LOL.
Well the poi was 6" high but dead center. I walked the poi down to 2" high at 45 yards. Why 45 yards? Thats just where I have my bench set up for my other gun hobby. Plus when I set up my backstop I moved it over 2ft. That jacked me up in my 100 yard plus shooting due to my 40 ft sea can and my shop. I closed my shooting window to like threading a needle. No room for a non sighted in gun. Got to move the thing when it warms up. 30 sand bags and double cut in half cross ties with a 3/8" steel angled behind All that framed out with angle steel . It will catch everything I got to shoot. I've got more ties for adding wings on it. In
The break in was 25 shots. Now after today another 20 rounds and this time the Hornity Blacks. The gun seemed to like them well. I had a dang good 4 shot group going and the last shot I doped the scope wrong a bit high.
No need showing the shot sheet at 45 yards. Believe it or not. The 100 yard next step I'll post good or bad.
I got what so far is looking like a keeper BCA barrel. I was worried about the fixed stock and the buffer? The gun shot flawless with the 10 shot mag.
Added to the build was the amme safety, Bad Ass bolt release, tension take down pin. Choate fixed stock with my SPA adj butt and kick easy butt pad. I did install a full lower rail and side rail with removable sling swivel.
Next that is on a wise list is the 12x SWAF scope. Oh yes the barrel is now the 24" SS heavy after a replacement upper.
Thanks all!
Reply
#71
If it's ok, I'd like to pile on to the Cheaped-out discussion Smile

OP, I bought the same deal you did, and so far, I've been happy with it. I only wanted something for plinking, and tearing apart and learning about the rifle. Been a blast so far.

BCA 20" 4150 Black Nitride Full upper assembly
PSA Magpul lower build kit
ASC 10 round magazines

Took it out over the weekend with some Wolf 100gr steel ammo, and had some fun getting used to the gun. I need to learn alot about sighting it in. It was cold and rainy in PA, but I got about 30 rounds through it, and the groupings seemed pretty good to me.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13740[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]13741[/ATTACH]


Attached Files Thumbnail(s)
       
Reply
#72
I shot some Wolf out of the 4150 18" and was not really happy with the groups. The Fusions short fair out of it. But with the chamber having a build up that damage the casing I sent it back and elected the 24" ss. The replacement process was painless and fast. This replacement came out of the box shooting some decent groups for a new barrel. It has gotten better on my 2nd time shooting but as I mentioned I made many changes. The main change was getting the gun to fit me and the trigger upgrade. Im happy with what I have at least till I stretch out the distance. This guns does like the Hornady Blacks.
I do see a 300 Blackout down the road for my extra upper? Maybe not but sure on the wish list.LOL I am no PRO here on this forum and just post on the results I am getting. Nothing I do is for advice on the 6.5 Grendel or any PB. I'M a learner, be it good advice or bad decisions on my part I bear the liability. Cheaping out still is not cheap in my current Money world. Even a blind squirrel can find and acorn!
Thanks ALL!!
Reply
#73
Coming to this thread (and the forum) a bit late for this but I just received the exact same BCA upper that you (OP) first received. Have to see how it shoots...did you bore-scope it? Just wondering how you ID'd the blemish in the chamber (what I should keep my eyes open for...)?
Reply
#74
Never went as far as bore scoping the barrel. I did a good visual under light and a simply magnifying glass. I did visual the bore but again not under the bore scope.
My problem was easy to see on the first cleaning. There was a ring of debris in the throat shoulder area.
Indication on the first shot was indicated on the brass as a sandpaper look that left the impression of the debris.
The indication was rough and looked like possible a bad reamer or some machining metal left in the chamber and then run thru the heat process. The indication was of a hardened state. I considered removing the indication but it was a no brainer just to sent it back. Also noted was a possibility of some of the indication as the bullet would make the jump at the first of the riflings. Also the brass had scratched marks running with the throat of the brass. That indication may have been the ramps.
THE crown was a fair machined surface. Being I have face and crowning tooling I am picky on crowns. I did not bother with the crown after arriving at a miss in the chamber. The gun shot just fair but I never made it past 45-50 yard getting it on paper. Fair at 45 is not great.
The replacement came out the gate showing grouping and after break in the barrel is doing as it should as long as I do my part, this is still at my 45-50 yard mark. Moving out to the 100 yard mark hopefully this week. Depending on the results at 100 yards, if pleased I'll move it out to 200 yards. Again I am no AR15 Expert!
The replacement still needed a cushion on the shell deflector to stop the mouth neck dinging. This is a fixed stock with the rifle buffer and spring and a rifle length gas block. Non adj block for now. The replacement has no indications on the brass that are not normal IMO. Crown looks very good on this one. I know if I bore sight the bore I'll find some areas that will not appeal to me. As long as it groups at 100 - 300 yards I'll be happy. Everything past that will be in me the gunner.

As mention on another thread and u think I mentioned it here but with the slim mlok forarm pay close attention to any add ons. The attachment bolts may be too long and either contact or be too close to the barrel or block. I had to work my attachment lengths on both uppers. That can cause an issue on any gun.
Thanks!
Reply
#75
Pics:
[Image: IMG-20190121-124014826-2.jpg]

[Image: IMG-20190121-123813519.jpg]
Look close at the end of the throat. It appears as a gray area in the picture but was a rust color. I may not have explained this area as it should but it's there. Thanks
Reply
#76
[ATTACH=CONFIG]13753[/ATTACH]

get 4 of them for $16

I also use a brass catcher bag to help keep my reloading brass out of the dirt and mud.


Attached Files Thumbnail(s)
   
Reply
#77
Where did you find those?

I found them. Thanks! It's a band-aid but it should work for now. Later I may try the spring mod mention on the forum.
Reply
#78
FANGGHOSTWOLF Wrote:Never went as far as bore scoping the barrel. I did a good visual under light and a simply magnifying glass. I did visual the bore but again not under the bore scope.
My problem was easy to see on the first cleaning. There was a ring of debris in the throat shoulder area.
Indication on the first shot was indicated on the brass as a sandpaper look that left the impression of the debris.
The indication was rough and looked like possible a bad reamer or some machining metal left in the chamber and then run thru the heat process. The indication was of a hardened state. I considered removing the indication but it was a no brainer just to sent it back. Also noted was a possibility of some of the indication as the bullet would make the jump at the first of the riflings. Also the brass had scratched marks running with the throat of the brass. That indication may have been the ramps.
THE crown was a fair machined surface. Being I have face and crowning tooling I am picky on crowns. I did not bother with the crown after arriving at a miss in the chamber. The gun shot just fair but I never made it past 45-50 yard getting it on paper. Fair at 45 is not great.
The replacement came out the gate showing grouping and after break in the barrel is doing as it should as long as I do my part, this is still at my 45-50 yard mark. Moving out to the 100 yard mark hopefully this week. Depending on the results at 100 yards, if pleased I'll move it out to 200 yards. Again I am no AR15 Expert!
The replacement still needed a cushion on the shell deflector to stop the mouth neck dinging. This is a fixed stock with the rifle buffer and spring and a rifle length gas block. Non adj block for now. The replacement has no indications on the brass that are not normal IMO. Crown looks very good on this one. I know if I bore sight the bore I'll find some areas that will not appeal to me. As long as it groups at 100 - 300 yards I'll be happy. Everything past that will be in me the gunner.

As mention on another thread and u think I mentioned it here but with the slim mlok forarm pay close attention to any add ons. The attachment bolts may be too long and either contact or be too close to the barrel or block. I had to work my attachment lengths on both uppers. That can cause an issue on any gun.
Thanks!
This was my issue late last year and AGAIN last week!!

I determined it was the fault of a crap forend/handguard. I threw on another one and now I am afforded buku room all around the GB. I now need to go shoot again, surprising it shot very nice groups with the first contact. IMHO its because it was good/steady up pressure. This last time, it was actually buzzing or bouncing off with each shot. VERY bad for accuracy!!

As soon as we have "Ice Out" Ill be back to the range. My buddy took a REAL bad fall last week on the range. He broke his ankle and lower leg!!! He is home in miserable pain... We gonna stay away till mud season. Its gonna be tough but like cold turkey for both of us. We are on that range 2-4 times a week and EVERY weekend. Some times BOTH Sat and Sunday!

I just bought a new scope for one rifle, swapped old scope to another and that scope to a third!! BANG just like that I have four guns to site in!! Its a disease, I got it bad, Terminal case and I LOVE IT!! Rolleyes

CW
Reply
#79
DISEASE IT IS!
Ordered the SWAF 12X 42MM scope last night for my Grendel? Now again more money on glass than the upper once again. Friday delivery so no more shooting till then.
I do have another gun to re sight in after robbing it's scope for another gun. Thus gendel build has 3 guns all jacked up swapping goods from them to the Grendel.
Reply
#80
Well I'll add to the BCA thread as my inaugural post on the forum. I tried a BCA complete 24" upper from Primary Arms in 6.5 Gren. at the very start of the year. God bless Primary Arms! They took back the upper after 30+ days of trying everything I could to try to get it to shoot somewhat accurately! 4 to 5 MOA bench-rested sand-bagged at 100 yards was the best I could get out of it! It also didn't feed well regardless of the mags I used including Elanders.
I cleaned and inspected BEFORE firing! The feed ramps looked like the teeth of a 15 year + meth junkie. The BCG was loaded with shavings. I did a standard barrel break in, didn't use steel cased anything and put no heat on the barrel for the first 40+ rounds. I polished what was left of the ramps and tried Fusions, AA's, Hornaday Black and the customs. I don't like to knock suppliers or manufacturers but the BCA upper I received was complete functional junk. (Looked really pretty)!
They took it back and refunded my money since the item I ordered was no longer available. I looked elsewhere and I did reward Primary Arms for their great customer service with some other parts. You can obviously get a shooter from a BCA barrel but going back to the very beginning of this thread, it is a roll of the dice and the house usually wins. You do get what you pay for!
IMO.....If you want inexpensive and a better chance of a shooter, look at PSA first. I'm all for cheap builds but it has to be both reliable and accurate.
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)