Posts: 682
Threads: 56
Joined: Dec 2016
I would really like to hear about accuracy with Wolf Steel and handloads from this barrel......
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. ― George Orwell
Posts: 57
Threads: 7
Joined: Dec 2016
Posts: 1,230
Threads: 6
Joined: Jun 2016
mdewitt71 Wrote:I would really like to hear about accuracy with Wolf Steel and handloads from this barrel......
I just gave my brother an early run Sabre Defence XR15 with this barrel on it, and it is a carbine length gas system and shoots about MOA with 123gr AMAX 100 yds, would probably shoot better with a better scope.
Posts: 70
Threads: 13
Joined: Dec 2016
howl Wrote:Finally got the notice mine shipped. Guess I better order that Anderson BCG so I can use that case of Wolf ammo I have coming.
I think these are type 2 barrels and need the Alexander Arms or other type 2 bolt? Anderson is type 1 if I recall...
Posts: 236
Threads: 14
Joined: Nov 2015
Anderson's site shows them as Type 2 with 8620 for the carrier 9310 for the bolt. Seems about right for a blaster. Won't hurt to verify verbally before ordering, though, right?
Posts: 236
Threads: 14
Joined: Nov 2015
Posts: 70
Threads: 13
Joined: Dec 2016
howl Wrote:FYI: http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showthrea...post131568
So, does that indicate that the barrels offered by Numrich are those that are not desirable and may have issues?
Posts: 236
Threads: 14
Joined: Nov 2015
I just offered it to go along with other information in the thread. It's just pertinent data. Use your own judgement.
More data: I got mine in today. It looks like it was tossed in box with a bunch of other ones and hauled around in the back of a truck for several months. I'd overlook all that for the price and purpose, but the threads were damaged. I don't think I should have to buy a die and chase threads on a barrel. I will call Numrich and see what they have to say before deciding to return or not.
I have purchased from Numrich in the past and got parts that looked like they just came out of the bin at the original factory. That is not what I got today.
Posts: 236
Threads: 14
Joined: Nov 2015
Alright. I talked to Numrich. The trouble with the one I got is the threads were banged flat in a spot. Also the flat cut the gas block would butt against was dinged such that I'd have to remove metal to get the block to seat flush. I'm ignoring the loss of finish and few small rust spots. I can return for hand-picked or refund. If you want hand-picked to begin with, that is a special order and you ask for a quote. I got better things to do than play hot potato with barrels.
I am not criticizing or offering guidance; just relaying information.
Posts: 1,230
Threads: 6
Joined: Jun 2016
Dpr64 Wrote:So, does that indicate that the barrels offered by Numrich are those that are not desirable and may have issues?
I received my barrel from Nurich this afternoon and was able to get it put into an upper. The barrel headspaced with PTG 6.5 Grendel go/nogo guages with a .136 bolt. The chamber is very tight.
there was no problem with loading factory 123 AMAX and they extracted fine. Sabre Defence made barrels with two different reamer profiles, and the barrel I received had the proper profile.
It is stamped CMV 1:7.5 twist CL. It is a carbine length gas tube. No problems in the assembly and muzzle break threads had no issues. The chrome in the barrel looks even, but did not scope the bore.
I did not have a muzzle crush washer left, so did not get a chance to shoot it this afternoon, had to go meet a buddy to pig hunt this evening, and we got in a sounder that is now 4 less than it was.
Posts: 57
Threads: 7
Joined: Dec 2016
howl Wrote:Alright. I talked to Numrich. The trouble with the one I got is the threads were banged flat in a spot. Also the flat cut the gas block would butt against was dinged such that I'd have to remove metal to get the block to seat flush. I'm ignoring the loss of finish and few small rust spots.
This certainly has me curious... Mine arrives Monday
Posts: 70
Threads: 13
Joined: Dec 2016
How do you think this will work as a wolf ammo beater gun? Something to keep in the farm truck to plink with?
Posts: 316
Threads: 10
Joined: Jul 2014
Should be a great match with wolf steel case.
Posts: 57
Threads: 7
Joined: Dec 2016
Mine arrived today... Have not shot it yet but learned the hard way that it is 9/16 threads at the muzzle. I don't have any muzzle devices to fit but plan to test it prior to ordering a brake or thread protector.
Overall in great shape... Looking forward to see how it groups.
*weight is 27oz FYI
Posts: 1,716
Threads: 42
Joined: Aug 2011
Nicaburns Wrote:*weight is 27oz FYI
Which is identical to the AA lightweight 16" barrel.
Paul Peloquin
Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?
Posts: 236
Threads: 14
Joined: Nov 2015
Nicaburns Wrote:This certainly has me curious... Mine arrives Monday
It was probably just my bad luck.
Posts: 57
Threads: 7
Joined: Dec 2016
01-18-2017, 09:29 PM
(This post was last modified: 02-07-2017, 01:43 PM by Nicaburns.)
howl Wrote:It was probably just my bad luck.
I fired a few rounds through mine but it was quite gusty... Looked like it has potential but the ELD was a 1.5" spread... (Not encouraged by the ELD thus far!)
Posts: 60
Threads: 10
Joined: Oct 2015
I have one coming. Can anyone tell me what size gas block it takes? I'd assume .930, but figured I'd ask before ordering stuff.
Thanks.
Posts: 57
Threads: 7
Joined: Dec 2016
tommag Wrote:I have one coming. Can anyone tell me what size gas block it takes? I'd assume .930, but figured I'd ask before ordering stuff.
Thanks.
It is .750
Posts: 60
Threads: 10
Joined: Oct 2015