11-08-2012, 11:14 PM
This year my hunting party and I drew our second choice for deer in a unit that is very tough to scratch a buck out of unless you get some weather. It’s one of the only units that never fills on the first draw as everyone knows it’s a bitch to hunt. Opening morning I chose to sit and wait in the hope that someone would get the deer moving and sure enough another hunter bumped two bucks right into my lap so my season was over by mid-morning. The rest of my party spent a total of 22 man days in the same unit and saw a grand total of one three point the entire time… which they never got a shot at. I’m not an advocate of taking risky shots or launching any “Hail Mary’s” at big game but in some of the Oregon hunting units you had better be able to take advantage of an opportunity as they can be few and far between.
