08-19-2012, 11:35 AM
I have a good friend that lives in Thomasville, his name is David Poole. Any chance you know him? He raises quail for the plantations around there and Llewellin Setters, which is how I know him, I also own Llewellin setters.
The dates for the Rice Plantation shoot are up in the air as we are trying to coordinate with three state associations. I'm the President of the Florida State Association and know the precise date that would be better for everyone, it's just that those hard headed Alabama and Georgia guys can't yet see clearly
Optics are allowed in High Power matches but must compete in a separate class. However, so far no one has beat the metallic sights. This year at the Nationals David Tubb, and eleven time national champ shot optics and came in 7th over all. For this type of competition, optics are a disadvantage. That is hard to believe and most people don't until they learn to use iron sights properly, which takes time and effort. Just yesterday testing out some loads in my match rifle I shot a ten shot .486" group at 100 yards with metallic sights.
The national match course of fire (also called across the course) is 10 rounds standing at 200 yards in 10 minutes, 10 yards sitting at 20 yards in 60 seconds with a mag change, 10 rounds prone at 300 yards in 70 seconds with a mag change, and 20 rounds prone at 600 yards in 20 minutes. A sling is used for support in all but the standing position. It is fired with service rifle, which now means AR15A2 or match rifle.
There is also F-class which is much more leisurely run match and is fired all prone from a bipod or rest, the open class is much like bench rest except fired prone.
Across the Course is all about building solid positions and F-Class is all about equipment and loading techniques. They are much different games.
The action stuff is well, I don't want to disparage any fellow competitiors, but people I know who have shot both don't consider the action games to really require that you know how to shoot a rifle. One of the top shot TV show guys who specialized in action shooting wanted to try his hand at across the course and shot with my junior team (i'm their coach) to come in last place.
I shot IPSC back when it was pistols only and did quite well at it but that kind of shooting just doesn't appeal to me any longer so maybe I'm not at good one to advocate for this type of competition.
It sounds to me you might enjoy F-Class.
Bob
The dates for the Rice Plantation shoot are up in the air as we are trying to coordinate with three state associations. I'm the President of the Florida State Association and know the precise date that would be better for everyone, it's just that those hard headed Alabama and Georgia guys can't yet see clearly

Optics are allowed in High Power matches but must compete in a separate class. However, so far no one has beat the metallic sights. This year at the Nationals David Tubb, and eleven time national champ shot optics and came in 7th over all. For this type of competition, optics are a disadvantage. That is hard to believe and most people don't until they learn to use iron sights properly, which takes time and effort. Just yesterday testing out some loads in my match rifle I shot a ten shot .486" group at 100 yards with metallic sights.
The national match course of fire (also called across the course) is 10 rounds standing at 200 yards in 10 minutes, 10 yards sitting at 20 yards in 60 seconds with a mag change, 10 rounds prone at 300 yards in 70 seconds with a mag change, and 20 rounds prone at 600 yards in 20 minutes. A sling is used for support in all but the standing position. It is fired with service rifle, which now means AR15A2 or match rifle.
There is also F-class which is much more leisurely run match and is fired all prone from a bipod or rest, the open class is much like bench rest except fired prone.
Across the Course is all about building solid positions and F-Class is all about equipment and loading techniques. They are much different games.
The action stuff is well, I don't want to disparage any fellow competitiors, but people I know who have shot both don't consider the action games to really require that you know how to shoot a rifle. One of the top shot TV show guys who specialized in action shooting wanted to try his hand at across the course and shot with my junior team (i'm their coach) to come in last place.
I shot IPSC back when it was pistols only and did quite well at it but that kind of shooting just doesn't appeal to me any longer so maybe I'm not at good one to advocate for this type of competition.
It sounds to me you might enjoy F-Class.
Bob
