SCJim Wrote:single shots per load are good enough to get a rough idea for velocity and pressure signs and I suppose to get a rough idea for the curve. But even for rough load development I prefer 3 minimum or 5 shots per increment depending on component availability.
On that graph in post 84 I would be loading 10 or 15 rounds @ 50.6, assuming that 2975 - 3000 FPS would be sufficient velocity to get the job done and exhibited tight grouping to use as a second check. Then if the load behaved adjust seating depth in or out to refine the grouping and possibly experiment with different flavors of primer also if needed and possible. I love those big flat spots where you can vary the load by a couple of tenths of a gn and still be in the node. You can load to the middle and shoot from 20F to 95F with little or no charge adjustment needed
+1
If Im trying a new powder, case, primer combo, I usually just do a 10 round ladder test to see if theyll work together and find some likely areas to investigate. If Im already familiar, with accuracy nodes around 3% of charge weight apart, then usually 5-6, 3 shots groups can isolate what Im looking for!
The 10 round ladder is only a starting point, not the end result!
Satterlee has refined his technique even more, heres the latest version I can find!
https://youtu.be/WSSaiX7akaQ

