grendelnubi Wrote:No one said lower velocity was expected, that is a very poor assumption.
So Klem, this is what you are basing your stance on..... Because DT experienced lower velocities at a higher charge weight the test in incorrect? We should all just give up load development based on that conclusion.
Please verify, have you ever, ever developed a load with an extreme spread of ZERO? I seriously doubt it, way too many variables involved. Therefore based your stance regarding the principles of chemistry every developed load with a extreme spread of 1 or greater is also incorrect.
Nubi,
I never stated or even implied we should give up load development. Obviously an exaggeration designed to discredit. Let's keep this objective shall we.
As I said, I am basing my 'stance' on common sense chemistry. Specifically the principle that more powder = greater, or even equal velocity - [U]but never less velocity[/U]. And if Dt's test is valid then it also has to be reliable. In scientific terms that means every time he repeats the test he gets the same results. Even better, if the rest of us can replicate his test we should get the same or at least similar results. Until we can do this then given these are unusual results we are entitled to doubt its validity.
By validity I mean does his test accurately reflect what he is trying to do? In other words, is what he is doing accurately assessing the relationship between powder and velocity? intuitively I am calling out the test's validity. Something is not right. Something is confounding the common sense premise of more powder = more velocity, so I am confident it is not an accurate test. The obvious way forward is to repeat the test, keeping everything the same, and go from there.
As far as basic principles are concerned we can test that too; is there anyone reading this that has reliably proven that adding more powder gives less velocity? By this I mean consistently, and not a one-off [unexplained] situation. You get to a specific load and know for sure that adding more powder is going to give a lower velocity?

