05-27-2020, 03:07 AM
jmkhenka Wrote:You are welcome to sweden, where every gun store has atleast 10 boxes in 6.5 and .30..
Oryx is probably the most used bullet in sweden. Alaska might be more common, but mostly because hunters here is cheap and they probably have the same box since 1960.
there is a nice alternative, Woodleigh 80A or 80B. I shot the 80B (roundnose) in my grendel with a V0 of around 2150-2200.
...
Hello across the pond. If what you say us true, you might see a few Americans make a ballistic pilgrimage to the land of Norma in the near future :-) After my test, I too am a believer in the Oryx. That was just perfect textbook performance, and yet still at such a modest velocity. The accuracy is nothing to turn your nose up at either. There may be others that will perform in the same manner, but for me, for now, it is setting the benchmark to compare to.
Good to know of your experience with the 140gr NP.
I have been looking at those Woodleighs for awhile too. That 80B looks like my kind of bullet! I went to Woodleigh website and its listed as "new" in the table. How new is it? Any idea what the minimum velocity threshold is for performance? Anyone you you know have a tale to tell of their experience with either the 80b or the Oryx?
I am VERY intrigued by Woodleighs Hydrostatically Stabilized lineup! Large blunt frontal area to "core through" incidental trajectory intercepts and to leave good bleeding ENTRANCE wounds and a cavitation face for hydrodynamics in the straight line wound channel, high SD (for a mono') to facilitate the axial stability, enough driving bands to work but w/o the pressures often created by mono's, and at the same time a core diameter that is essentially a bore rider - again to mitigate pressures often seen in mono's and facilitate bore alignment/accuracy... yeah, in my book, they're onto something there!
I actually had a chat with the owner of Lehigh Defense about them making something of that very nature some time ago! Being able to see the vision but not having the depth of ballistic knowledge that I do now I didn't do a very good job of making the pitch I guess.
I'd really like to know more about the 80b and I also will give the Woodleigh HS a serious looking into.
Thank you for sharing your insights on those.

