03-01-2020, 10:42 PM
A5BLASTER Wrote:A fmj would likely land you in jail, most states don't allow them for hunting and I'm sure a warden would find some reason too get you for useing it for defense from a attacking bear/bobcat/lion/wolf.
If you're killing game in self defense I would assume it's not in season. FMJs would the least of your problems. If it is in season (and you have a tag) you should be carrying an appropriate weapon because you're hunting it. BTW we hunt bobcats with .22WMR and 17WSM. They only weigh 35-40lb max and a Grendel with a soft point would ruin the hide. If I was going to use one of my Grendels to hunt bobcats or coyotes- I would prefer an FMJ (legal for those species in Michigan). And I know several guys in Alaska who hunt wolves with ARs. (5.56mm ARs) A Grendel with an expanding bullet would make a fine wolf or mt. lion rifle. The only thing where you need to think about "special" ammo choices in a Grendel for self defense is bear and maybe moose. And now we're back to trying to break bones and penetrate.
JM $0.02
John

