Barrel break in and copper fouling
#14
I gave up on break in also. If you have a Grendel that copper fouls any appreciable amount, that sucker is too rough for break in to help IMO.

The best thing I ever bought for bore cleaning, is the Lyman bore cam. For $200, I no longer guess how my cleaning is working. And I've changed quite a few things from what I used to think was working. Carbon is a much bigger problem than copper in Grendel sized, low speed rounds. Especially with suppressed ar's, and certain powders like 8208. I got some tips from another shooter on another forum, and I no longer screw around with soaking, brushing, soaking, patching, on and on and on. I run 3 soaked patches with Boretech carbon remover, brush the loose stuff, patch it dry and inspect with the bore cam. If hard carbon exists in the throat, and or first few inches of barrel, I go to a brush covered in JB Bore Bright (the red stuff). I don't count strokes, but in a couple minutes you're done. Patch it out and inspect. Coat with oil if you're storing it for a while.

Another thing for those barrels with truly rough barrels. I got an R-15, 30 RAR, and that bore was definitely the ugliest bore I've ever scoped. It shot ok, but fouled pretty badly. I somewhat reluctantly tried the Tubb fire-lap system, used all 50 bullets exactly like the instructions said, and it made a HUGE difference in that barrel. It no longer fouls, looks a lot better, and shoots very well. I really really like that round, I wish they would have supported it and came out with a family of rounds based off of it.
Reply


Messages In This Thread
Barrel break in and copper fouling - by gofastman - 10-25-2019, 02:22 PM
Barrel break in and copper fouling - by mdram - 10-25-2019, 02:47 PM
Barrel break in and copper fouling - by A5BLASTER - 10-25-2019, 05:35 PM
Barrel break in and copper fouling - by CJW - 10-25-2019, 07:13 PM
Barrel break in and copper fouling - by Lemonaid - 10-25-2019, 07:47 PM
Barrel break in and copper fouling - by rabiddawg - 10-25-2019, 11:09 PM
Barrel break in and copper fouling - by Klem - 10-25-2019, 11:47 PM
Barrel break in and copper fouling - by FLshooter - 10-26-2019, 08:32 PM
Barrel break in and copper fouling - by Klem - 10-27-2019, 12:37 AM
Barrel break in and copper fouling - by Klem - 10-27-2019, 02:38 AM
Barrel break in and copper fouling - by 204 AR - 10-27-2019, 04:04 AM
Barrel break in and copper fouling - by Growler - 11-01-2019, 01:14 AM
Barrel break in and copper fouling - by gofastman - 11-01-2019, 05:32 PM

Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)