Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Does a muzzle brake really make a difference?
#15
Get one with a rifle length gas system, and add the brake. the extra wt (over a 16") plus a good brake will mitigate lots of recoil and rifle gas is smoother/easier than mid or carbine. Not all brakes work to the same level, some are good and some are, well, just extra metal at the end of the barrel. I use MB's on all of my rifles, I hunt with electronic muffs anyway so any blast is a non-issue for me.
Look into the VG6 gamma 6.5 caliber muzzle brake, armorally.com has them for about $50. Best one IMO unless you go to the $125-200 range, lots of recoil mitigation. then get a 5/8-24 jam nut and some blue locktite, you can install and time yourself easy peasy.
If you get a threaded barrel your only cost is the MB, nut and locktite. Having a GS thread it for you (5/8-24) will probly run you 100 bucks.

You can also get a soft rubber pad for the buttstock, there's a magpul kinda "foam-like" that works well on the CTR stocks... about $20 IIRC.
Then just always hunt with electronic ear muffs and you're gtg.
(I always use them b/c lost a lot of hearing when I was in the Navy, plus my time in power plants... hearing is precious but so is controllability of the muzzle).
my $0.02 for ya.

If you can't decide on the Wilsons and want a good option, look at the ballistic advantage fluted ones... hand lapped and about $240 or so on sale, that's what I paid for my latest one. Sub-moa guarantee and I've already got that in shots 20-24 down the tube.
"Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"
Reply


Messages In This Thread
Does a muzzle brake really make a difference? - by grayfox - 05-18-2019, 01:19 AM

Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)