05-17-2019, 08:31 PM
(This post was last modified: 05-17-2019, 08:40 PM by Michael-95037.)
I've got an 18" Wilson Combat Recon Tactical barrel and Q-comp muzzle brake on back order, but I'm really wanting to build my rifle NOW. I'm feeling like I have "kid at Christmas" syndrome. I can get a 20" Wilson Combat Hunter barrel (not threaded -- no muzzle brake) shipped immediately.
This is for a hunting (boar) gun that will see an equal amount of time target shooting at a friends private range (200-800 yards -- He's a lucky guy). I've been using a Browning A-Bolt BOSS in .270 Winchester for my pig hunting so far. The BOSS gives it .243 recoil. It's a great hunting gun, but I can't shoot it as much as I'd like at the range due to a past should injury. 5-10 shots and my shoulder is done for the day.
As for recoil, since I have never shot a Grendel and have a damaged shoulder, will a muzzle brake really make a difference, or am I overthinking the whole recoil thing? My 5.56x45 AR-15 has around 3-4 ft/lbs of recoil energy (No problem at all), I'm guessing my .270 with the BOSS is around 11-12 ft/lbs (with my shoulder, that's about my limit). According to my online research, the Grendel is close the 9 ft/lbs. Do you think I'll need a muzzle brake to be able to shoot 50-100 shots in a day or am I over analyzing?
Thanks!
This is for a hunting (boar) gun that will see an equal amount of time target shooting at a friends private range (200-800 yards -- He's a lucky guy). I've been using a Browning A-Bolt BOSS in .270 Winchester for my pig hunting so far. The BOSS gives it .243 recoil. It's a great hunting gun, but I can't shoot it as much as I'd like at the range due to a past should injury. 5-10 shots and my shoulder is done for the day.
As for recoil, since I have never shot a Grendel and have a damaged shoulder, will a muzzle brake really make a difference, or am I overthinking the whole recoil thing? My 5.56x45 AR-15 has around 3-4 ft/lbs of recoil energy (No problem at all), I'm guessing my .270 with the BOSS is around 11-12 ft/lbs (with my shoulder, that's about my limit). According to my online research, the Grendel is close the 9 ft/lbs. Do you think I'll need a muzzle brake to be able to shoot 50-100 shots in a day or am I over analyzing?
Thanks!

