12-15-2014, 10:26 PM
I think it's pretty much "dropped," it's pretty much understood that any non-compound throat is a non-SAAMI variant and everybody's OK with that, until guys like DDR come in and stir it up and claim that you can still label your barrels 6.5 Grendel as long as the SAAMI go/no-go gauge fits. If I bought a 6.5 Grendel barrel and it did NOT have the SAAMI compound throat it'd be a deal-breaker unless I asked for a non-compound throat.
The compound throat is such a unique feature, that if one understands it in the context of the whole 6.5 Grendel program, it is a fundamental part of the cartridge's identity and specification. Any deviation from that is not wrong, but should be noted up front by the manufacturer. Is that too much to ask? You gonna sell .223 Wylde but call it .223 Remington?
To Satern's credit, I checked their Website today and they advertise both 6.5 Grendel and 6.5 Grendel II barrels, so I'd say they're halfway there. But I know why they use the label "Grendel II" and I think it's petty and far beneath them as good people and patriots. I did not see a FAQ on their Website explaining the distinction between 65G and 65GII and I think they owe at least that to their buyers. Is it too much to say, "This is how our chamber differs from SAAMI 6.5 Grendel and why"? If I was into .223, I'd want the Wylde chamber, so these things matter. I guess gun guys can be a little particular and persnickety. If I want a 1:8 twist, don't switch it to a 1:9 and tell me to shut up cuz I'll never know the difference. We had a well-known reamer-maker brag last year about pulling a stunt like that.
Anyway, bottom line: More guns, more ARs, in America is good. And more chamberings that fire 6.5 Grendel ammunition is even better. I just get annoyed when grown men act like children, but I guess I'm old enough to have long since stopped expecting people to be perfect.
The compound throat is such a unique feature, that if one understands it in the context of the whole 6.5 Grendel program, it is a fundamental part of the cartridge's identity and specification. Any deviation from that is not wrong, but should be noted up front by the manufacturer. Is that too much to ask? You gonna sell .223 Wylde but call it .223 Remington?
To Satern's credit, I checked their Website today and they advertise both 6.5 Grendel and 6.5 Grendel II barrels, so I'd say they're halfway there. But I know why they use the label "Grendel II" and I think it's petty and far beneath them as good people and patriots. I did not see a FAQ on their Website explaining the distinction between 65G and 65GII and I think they owe at least that to their buyers. Is it too much to say, "This is how our chamber differs from SAAMI 6.5 Grendel and why"? If I was into .223, I'd want the Wylde chamber, so these things matter. I guess gun guys can be a little particular and persnickety. If I want a 1:8 twist, don't switch it to a 1:9 and tell me to shut up cuz I'll never know the difference. We had a well-known reamer-maker brag last year about pulling a stunt like that.
Anyway, bottom line: More guns, more ARs, in America is good. And more chamberings that fire 6.5 Grendel ammunition is even better. I just get annoyed when grown men act like children, but I guess I'm old enough to have long since stopped expecting people to be perfect.
