12-15-2014, 04:06 PM
I am watching this thread and DDR's contributions.
It is my official position that if a chamber that fires factory 6.5 Grendel ammunition does NOT adhere to BOTH the case AND throat specifications of the SAAMI drawing, it is a variant — which is perfectly fine in and of itself — but it should in NO way be marketed with the word "Grendel" in it.
Satern/Liberty should market their variant throat as something like 6.5 Satern or .264 Liberty, or such, but should not confuse the market with the argument about whether a throat specification is essential to — or an optional subset of — any given SAAMI specification.
I don't personally know the technical facts on the matter, so I have an open mind. I'm willing to have a major SAAMI member tell us, on the record, that they feel free to ignore — or not — the throat dimensions of any given SAAMI drawing for any given cartridge. I'm willing to have someone show us documentation that the SAAMI "rules" themselves consider throating dimensions optional. It would seem to me to be a crucial component of whether a chambering is safe or not, so I'd be surprised if they leave it to the manufacturer's discretion. But, hey, let's see documentation instead of "my secret source whispered this to me and winked. . . ."
At any rate, I consider attempts to market a "Grendel II" as acting out of petty vindictiveness and, in bad faith, trying to make trouble. Don't try and tell me it's at all comparable to the .223 Wylde, wherein someone is trying to offer a variant as a legitimate solution to a specific issue. (Also notice he didn't name it the .223 Remington II).
It is my official position that if a chamber that fires factory 6.5 Grendel ammunition does NOT adhere to BOTH the case AND throat specifications of the SAAMI drawing, it is a variant — which is perfectly fine in and of itself — but it should in NO way be marketed with the word "Grendel" in it.
Satern/Liberty should market their variant throat as something like 6.5 Satern or .264 Liberty, or such, but should not confuse the market with the argument about whether a throat specification is essential to — or an optional subset of — any given SAAMI specification.
I don't personally know the technical facts on the matter, so I have an open mind. I'm willing to have a major SAAMI member tell us, on the record, that they feel free to ignore — or not — the throat dimensions of any given SAAMI drawing for any given cartridge. I'm willing to have someone show us documentation that the SAAMI "rules" themselves consider throating dimensions optional. It would seem to me to be a crucial component of whether a chambering is safe or not, so I'd be surprised if they leave it to the manufacturer's discretion. But, hey, let's see documentation instead of "my secret source whispered this to me and winked. . . ."
At any rate, I consider attempts to market a "Grendel II" as acting out of petty vindictiveness and, in bad faith, trying to make trouble. Don't try and tell me it's at all comparable to the .223 Wylde, wherein someone is trying to offer a variant as a legitimate solution to a specific issue. (Also notice he didn't name it the .223 Remington II).
