12-14-2014, 12:11 AM
LR1955 Wrote:Guys:
You are confusing what I said about throat erosion with wearing out barrels. I bet that both designs of throat wear out barrels of the same make equally. 8K rounds or in that arena somewhere for the compound throated barrels and conventional throated barrels. Some would care and others not. Depends on what they use the rifle for.
Perhaps a better way to describe my statement is that I believe that you will see enough throat erosion with about 1K rounds fired so as to make any benefits from a compound throat be reduced or perhaps even eliminated. This depends on how someone uses his rifle. A IPSC guy who blasts magazines in rapid fire will wear one out much faster than a guy who shoots a hundred rounds a year slow fire.
Until someone out there does some chamber casting before and after along with some info on their bullets, loads, and general wear and tear such as rapid fire or slow fire, I bet this is exactly what happens. I would say a throat erosion gauge would probably give an indicator as well. However, a person would have to get two barrels made by the same place but with both throats, then shoot both the same way using the same loads.
As for Wildcats, there is nothing 'Wildcat' about a .295 neck in a Grendel chamber. Or a .300 neck. You use the same loading dies set the same way and given a decent functioning rifle or carbine, the brass works just fine in each.
LR55
If this were true, we'd see groups open up around 1000 round counts and load work up would have to be done again giving different results. Not saying it would not still be a sub MOA barrel, but a lose of a "benefit" to your accuracy would have to affect your groups/accuracy in some noticeable manner.
"Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin

