05-24-2019, 05:58 PM
Mouflon have a white saddle patch and a shorter coat; your looks like a hybrid of some sort.
Mouflon:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]14292[/ATTACH]
Mouflon:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]14292[/ATTACH]
|
Mouflon Ram Hunt
|
|
05-24-2019, 05:58 PM
Mouflon have a white saddle patch and a shorter coat; your looks like a hybrid of some sort.
Mouflon: [ATTACH=CONFIG]14292[/ATTACH]
05-24-2019, 06:45 PM
Jimla Wrote:Welcome to the big island, let me know if you ever come back. I have seen many very large herds 40+ near the road but never tried to hunt. Thank you. I usually make a trip to Big Island and Kauai every year to hunt with my island Ohana. During my trips, I've seen Goats close to the road but not Mouflons. Mahalo
05-24-2019, 07:04 PM
mbogo Wrote:Mouflon have a white saddle patch and a shorter coat; your looks like a hybrid of some sort.Mbogo, there are five subspecies of Mouflon. Armenian, European, Cyprus, Laristan and Esfahan. Not all look like the one in the picture in your post. I do enjoy hunting them.
05-24-2019, 08:08 PM
I'm aware of that.
European mouflon is above. Armenian mouflon: [ATTACH=CONFIG]14293[/ATTACH] Cyprian mouflon: [ATTACH=CONFIG]14294[/ATTACH] Isfahan mouflon: [ATTACH=CONFIG]14295[/ATTACH] Laristan mouflon: [ATTACH=CONFIG]14296[/ATTACH] None look like the one in the OP.
05-24-2019, 08:54 PM
May not be 100% Mouflon Sheep, here in hawaii we have Mouflon-feral hybrid sheep, a mix of Mouflon and domestic sheep that escaped in the late1800s during a major lava flow that completely covered and wipe out very large sheep farm.The Mouflon came to the island in the 1950s. The sheep I see by the road are Mouflon-feral hybrid sheep, heavy on domestic sheep. The Ram photo above is very heavy on the Mouflon, but could have a touch of domestic sheep that change color. Pure Mouflon live higher on the volcanos and feral sheep live lower, in between they mix.
https://dlnr.hawaii.gov/recreation/hunting/mammal/
05-24-2019, 09:09 PM
Djgrendel Wrote:Excellent!! Thank you. I was very proud to get him.
05-25-2019, 05:07 PM
Jimla Wrote:May not be 100% Mouflon Sheep, here in hawaii we have Mouflon-feral hybrid sheep, a mix of Mouflon and domestic sheep that escaped in the late1800s during a major lava flow that completely covered and wipe out very large sheep farm.The Mouflon came to the island in the 1950s. The sheep I see by the road are Mouflon-feral hybrid sheep, heavy on domestic sheep. The Ram photo above is very heavy on the Mouflon, but could have a touch of domestic sheep that change color. Pure Mouflon live higher on the volcanos and feral sheep live lower, in between they mix. Maholo my brother. If it's a Mouflon with a touch of domestic, so be it. I'm still very proud of this Big Island Ram and having a shoulder mount made. It's at the Taxidermist now.
05-26-2019, 06:59 PM
I'd be proud of that sheep too. Pure or partial Mouflon, it's a nice animal. Any idea how much it weighed? Post some photos of the mount when you get it back.
05-26-2019, 10:43 PM
Squid Wrote:Maholo my brother. If it's a Mouflon with a touch of domestic, so be it. I'm still very proud of this Big Island Ram and having a shoulder mount made. It's at the Taxidermist now. I would be proud of that Mouflon, best one I have seen it deserves to be mounted. I was just sharing the Hawaii history with others, explaining why a Mouflon could be missing the white spot that another person commented earlier about being a hybrid, in my book it is a Mouflon not "a hybrid", they look much different.
05-28-2019, 03:09 AM
Michael-95037 Wrote:I'd be proud of that sheep too. Pure or partial Mouflon, it's a nice animal. Any idea how much it weighed? Post some photos of the mount when you get it back. Thanks. I didn't get a chance to weight him. When I get the shoulder mount back I will definitely post pictures.
11-01-2019, 09:08 AM
Awesome
Story!!
11-01-2019, 03:25 PM
(This post was last modified: 11-01-2019, 03:26 PM by cwlongshot.)
Ya made me look for a old pic!! I found it too!
My first Mouflon Ram. Circa 1993 Right after building my 6.5/06. 1909 Argentine ?98 Mauser action. 120 Ballistic tip 3250 fps. Est 3K impact vel. Thru and thru penetration. ![]() Shot was about 300 yards on a preserve. (Not wild sheep) I have it mounted and its beautiful almost two full curls and almost all grey. It was iver 10yrs old. Great memories! CW
11-01-2019, 06:03 PM
Congrats on a fine Ram and great hunt. Memories and pride in the game an hunt are what make animals trophies to me.
11-01-2019, 09:58 PM
Hell of an animal , congratulations
|
|
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »
|