Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
AR Comp and XBR Velocities 24" Barrel AR
#21
Is your barrel bedded with a trued receiver face?
NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com
Reply
#22
I would like to know what your velocity's were at these charge weights?Big Grin
Reply
#23
The rifle is an AR that I assembled. It’s not trued. The barrel is floated.

The velocities are listed above.
Reply
#24
LRRPF52 Wrote:I bolded and color-coded based on pressure. Notice the 42fps jump from 28.2gr to 28.4gr with the 120gr ELD-M, which is a major departure from the trend line, followed by a slight velocity decrease with a charge weight increase.

Also notice the departure from the trend under the 130gr, where you saw ~30fps increase between 26.4gr and 26.6gr.

These are the things I look for when doing pressure ladders like this.

For 120gr ELD-M, if it were my rifle, I wouldn’t load over 27.8gr of AR Comp.

For the 130gr ELD-M, I wouldn’t load more than 26.4gr, unless there is room to extend your COL some.



I thought a large departure from the typical velocity increases was a big indicator of pressure being too high???
Reply
#25
ported45 Wrote:I thought a large departure from the typical velocity increases was a big indicator of pressure being too high???

.2gr per 30fps increase is something that sticks out at me.

With a lot of ball powders, we typically see 18-25fps per .3gr under a 120-123gr.

AR Comp as a faster stick powder generating 30fps increase per .2gr of charge weight.
NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)