Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
AR Comp and XBR Velocities 24" Barrel AR
#1
I had a chance to test some velocities today. All loads used Lapua brass and CCI 450s.

123 ELD
AR Comp
Grains FPS
26.5 2416
26.8 2443
27.1 2463
27.4 2479
27.7 2509

123 ELD
XBR
Grains FPS
27.5 2437
27.8 2463
28.1 2505
28.4 2535
28.7 2540

120 ELD
AR Comp
Grains FPS
25.0 2289
25.2 2312
25.4 2310
25.6 2340
25.8 2335
26.0 2369
26.2 2371
26.4 2399
26.6 2401
26.8 2456

130 ELD
AR Comp
Grains FPS
25.0 2251
25.2 2253
25.4 2283
25.6 2298
25.8 2308
26.0 2335
26.2 2345
26.4 2352
26.6 2385
26.8 2396

I didn't see any pressure signs that concerned me. I will likely work up from here. I'm hoping to get more velocity.
Reply
#2
Thanks for posting that. That top load pretty is a mirror of what I got with 120 Nosler. The 27.7 load which is as high as I will go.
Reply
#3
Yes, thanks for posting this, I recently pick up an 8# Keg of AR Comp, I have been looking for starting charge weight for my 18'' 1&8 barrel and my 24'' tube with this powder, My 11th Edi of the Hornady manual doesn't show this powder at all!Rolleyes
Reply
#4
I was able to get back to the range today. I am going to add some new data to my original data.

AR Comp and XBR Velocities 24" Barrel AR
I had a chance to test some velocities today. All loads used Lapua brass and CCI 450s.

120 ELD
AR Comp
Grains FPS
25.0 2289
25.2 2312
25.4 2310
25.6 2340
25.8 2335
26.0 2369, 2349
26.2 2371, 2393
26.4 2399, 2411
26.6 2401,2415
26.8 2456, 2439
27.0 2449
27.2 2491
27.4 2487
27.6 2502
27.8 2515
28.0 2541
28.2 2544
28.4 2586
28.6 2582
28.8 2601
29.0 2609
29.2 2630
29.4 2634
29.6 2670
29.8 2684

130 ELD
AR Comp
Grains FPS
25.0 2251
25.2 2253
25.4 2283
25.6 2298
25.8 2308
26.0 2335, 2327
26.2 2345, 2344
26.4 2352, 2357
26.6 2385, 2383
26.8 2396, 2399
27.0 2399
27.2 2426
27.4 2433
27.6 2459
27.8 2466
28.0 2476
28.2 2498
28.4 2520
28.6 2527
28.8 2540
29.0 2556
29.2 2570
29.4 2573
29.6 2593
29.8 2621

I didn't see any pressure signs on the 130s. The 120s were likely closer to the lands and started showing pressure in the 29s.
Reply
#5
What is the twist in your barrel?Cool
Reply
#6
1:8
Reply
#7
Not quite sure how you’re managing to get your loads much beyond 27.4-27.5 without very heavy compression and though you may not be seeing pressure signs in your brass, your primer pockets may tell a different story. I have several 20” barrels (Proof, Wilson Combat and Bartlein) that run low SD and 2550fps at 27.0 in Hornady brass with CCI450’s with 120gr Scenars. Your choice of course, but 29+ seems way over any sensible max load.
Reply
#8
Woah. I wouldn’t go above 27.7gr of AR Comp under a 120gr cup/core bullet.

For 130gr, I wouldn’t go above 26.9gr at common COLs.

What COLs are you loading?

You’re 2-3gr higher than book data.

With 8208XBR under 120-123gr cup/core bullets, carefully approach 27.8-28.5gr, but don’t go higher.
NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com
Reply
#9
I have to agree very strongly with 52 regarding the AR Comp max load recommendations.

With 120's my max is 27.6 and 129's it is 26.9. These are with Hornady brass.

Lapura brass, in my testing, does hold about 2 grains more H20 which may allow another .1 grain or so of powder.
Reply
#10
Thanks for posting guys! I'm glad I'm still searching for load data on this powder, most load data I see is at 26 to 27.5gns for AR Comp, I'm planning to develop a load with my 18' 1&8 twist barrel, I thought some of the loads here seemed a bit high above 27.5gns JMOSad
Reply
#11
AR-180 Wrote:I was able to get back to the range today. I am going to add some new data to my original data.

AR Comp and XBR Velocities 24" Barrel AR
I had a chance to test some velocities today. All loads used Lapua brass and CCI 450s.

120 ELD
AR Comp
Grains FPS
25.0 2289
25.2 2312
25.4 2310
25.6 2340
25.8 2335
26.0 2369, 2349
26.2 2371, 2393
26.4 2399, 2411
26.6 2401,2415
26.8 2456, 2439
27.0 2449
27.2 2491
27.4 2487
27.6 2502
27.8 2515
[COLOR="#FF8C00"]28.0 2541
28.2 2544[/COLOR]

[COLOR="#FF0000"]28.4 2586
28.6 2582
28.8 2601
29.0 2609
29.2 2630
29.4 2634
29.6 2670
29.8 2684[/COLOR]


130 ELD
AR Comp

Grains FPS
25.0 2251
25.2 2253
25.4 2283
25.6 2298
25.8 2308
26.0 2335, 2327
26.2 2345, 2344
26.4 2352, 2357
[COLOR="#FF8C00"]26.6 2385, 2383
26.8 2396, 2399[/COLOR]

27.0 2399
[COLOR="#FF0000"]27.2 2426
27.4 2433
27.6 2459
27.8 2466
28.0 2476
28.2 2498
28.4 2520
28.6 2527
28.8 2540
29.0 2556
29.2 2570
29.4 2573
29.6 2593
29.8 2621
[/COLOR]

I didn't see any pressure signs on the 130s. The 120s were likely closer to the lands and started showing pressure in the 29s.

I bolded and color-coded based on pressure. Notice the 42fps jump from 28.2gr to 28.4gr with the 120gr ELD-M, which is a major departure from the trend line, followed by a slight velocity decrease with a charge weight increase.

Also notice the departure from the trend under the 130gr, where you saw ~30fps increase between 26.4gr and 26.6gr.

These are the things I look for when doing pressure ladders like this.

For 120gr ELD-M, if it were my rifle, I wouldn’t load over 27.8gr of AR Comp.

For the 130gr ELD-M, I wouldn’t load more than 26.4gr, unless there is room to extend your COL some.
NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com
Reply
#12
LR52, thanks for your input on this thread! much appreciated.Cool
Reply
#13
LR52 27.7gr Arcomp was max in my BA 20"a also.
Reply
#14
Every conversation on reloading says to start low and work up. It is often said that each gun is different. That’s why we perform load development.

These data are what I found doing load development for one particular gun.
Reply
#15
180, not saying your load data doesn't work for your rifle, question are you shooting a bolt gun or an AR style rifle?
Reply
#16
AR-180 Wrote:Every conversation on reloading says to start low and work up. It is often said that each gun is different. That’s why we perform load development.

These data are what I found doing load development for one particular gun.

That is true, however, your gun most likely doesn’t deviate that much from all the other SAAMI spec Grendel AR’s, there maybe +/- several tenths of a grain latitude between individual guns but, it’s clear from some of those FPS numbers, you’re exceeding the SAAMI spec pressure limits! And in some cases, by quite a bit!

Looking for pressure signs only as a limiting factor in an AR Grendel is usually futile and a crap shoot because of its lower operating pressure limits, the chronograph is your friend. Bolt guns are another matter, you have higher PSI limits to work with and the classic pressure signs can be more diagnostic.

Pages 20-23 & 35 are worth a look. And those are the PDF page numbers, not the number at the bottom of the individual page.

https://saami.org/wp-content/uploads/201...g-Copy.pdf
Reply
#17
It’s been very strongly suggested that a far more reasonable max be observed when loading AR Comp, and wanted to document how much case capacity these loads appear to consume. Also wondering how much compression would be required in doing so. Additionally, how consistent could you possibly hold either loaded OAL or distance to lands with the powder column trying to push the bullet back out of the case. And nothing to confirm true pressure, beyond casual review of case condition.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]19490[/ATTACH]


Attached Files Thumbnail(s)
   
Reply
#18
Bobke, I agree! I just loaded 2 loads of AR Comp, 27.1gns and 27.4gns, both loads in new Starline unfired brass, and both IMO were about a compressed load, yes, I tried to tap the powder down to settle, but IMO I don't think your gonna stuff much more powder in these cases without being totally compressed, I know all about different brass can hold more or even fired cases of Starline can hold a tic more but from what I see your not going to put to much more powder in the cases with AR Comp without serious crunch!!!! and I try to stay away from compressed loads!!! Cold and windy here again so hopefully I can get out and shoot next weekend, I'll post my results from my range trip,Cool
Reply
#19
AR-180 Wrote:Every conversation on reloading says to start low and work up. It is often said that each gun is different. That’s why we perform load development.

These data are what I found doing load development for one particular gun.

Just keep in mind that the #1 indicator of pressure is velocity.

When you see velocity and charge weights that much higher than the max, it’s indicative of pressures that have exceeded safe levels.

Your 120gr load went up 150 fps above max.

Your 130gr max load is 264 fps over where it departed from the trend line at 2357fps.

If you look at AR Comp on a burn rate chart, you see why we advocate for hand loaders to be careful with it.
NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com
Reply
#20
I was able to get back to the range today to shoot groups with 26.9 and 27.7 for the 130s.

26.9 with the 130s was the better of the two. The groups with this charge averaged 3/4”.

I shot several loadings with the 120s, but they don’t seem to be a match for this barrel.
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)