Posts: 8,507
Threads: 241
Joined: Sep 2014
Is your barrel bedded with a trued receiver face?
NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO
CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor
6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:
www.AR15buildbox.com
Posts: 232
Threads: 17
Joined: Feb 2017
I would like to know what your velocity's were at these charge weights?
Posts: 23
Threads: 8
Joined: Sep 2014
The rifle is an AR that I assembled. Its not trued. The barrel is floated.
The velocities are listed above.
Posts: 285
Threads: 10
Joined: Feb 2018
LRRPF52 Wrote:I bolded and color-coded based on pressure. Notice the 42fps jump from 28.2gr to 28.4gr with the 120gr ELD-M, which is a major departure from the trend line, followed by a slight velocity decrease with a charge weight increase.
Also notice the departure from the trend under the 130gr, where you saw ~30fps increase between 26.4gr and 26.6gr.
These are the things I look for when doing pressure ladders like this.
For 120gr ELD-M, if it were my rifle, I wouldnt load over 27.8gr of AR Comp.
For the 130gr ELD-M, I wouldnt load more than 26.4gr, unless there is room to extend your COL some.
I thought a large departure from the typical velocity increases was a big indicator of pressure being too high???
Posts: 8,507
Threads: 241
Joined: Sep 2014
ported45 Wrote:I thought a large departure from the typical velocity increases was a big indicator of pressure being too high???
.2gr per 30fps increase is something that sticks out at me.
With a lot of ball powders, we typically see 18-25fps per .3gr under a 120-123gr.
AR Comp as a faster stick powder generating 30fps increase per .2gr of charge weight.
NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO
CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor
6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:
www.AR15buildbox.com