Posts: 7
Threads: 1
Joined: Jun 2019
JASmith Wrote:The 30-06 is truly hard to beat as an all-round big game harvester.
If you haven't already, order a set of the Grendel Reloading Handbooks. You'll see why the Grendel is also effective on both small and medium game.
The recoil is like that of the .243 Winchester, so the cartridge will be a lot more fun to shoot!
Oh yeah I love my .30-06. It drops everything in its tracks. It's just not fun on my shoulder. I only shoot that rifle just before hunting season to make sure all is good. It was a gift from my grandfather. I actually have a video of it on YouTube with the scope I had on it before my husband got me the Monarch 5ED. (SouthernHuntress829)
Slow is smooth, smooth is fast.
Posts: 6,193
Threads: 170
Joined: Mar 2015
FemmeFatale Wrote:Sweet! I'm not looking to do any precision competition shooting or anything which is why I didn't go crazy with it. I just want it to shoot nice groups and take some deer with it. Maybe in the future i'll do a really nice precision rifle build but I like bolt action rifles for that. I'm still pending to purchase a trigger, lower, stock, buffer tube assembly, and bcg. All expensive parts except the lower lol so it'll be some time until I finish the 6.5. Trying to think of a cool name for it in the meantime lol
Then I would suggest the howa 1500 mini grendel bolt action for a more presision rig in the near future.
Be warned like others have said grendels tend too multiply on their own in your gun safe late at night lol.
Posts: 1,568
Threads: 8
Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 34
Threads: 2
Joined: Jun 2019
06-22-2019, 03:58 PM
(This post was last modified: 06-23-2019, 06:34 PM by okstatefan.)
Another welcome from South Texas.
Posts: 8,507
Threads: 241
Joined: Sep 2014
Welcome aboard!
My oldest girl (7) is really interested in shooting more than I thought she would be. They got on a Top Shot binge watching streak and then want to shoot bows, throw rocks, shoot BB guns, pellet guns, you name it.
It's making me reevaluate my purchasing decisions to include various types of actions and ballistic tools, even with an armory already full of AR15s and carry pistols.
NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO
CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor
6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:
www.AR15buildbox.com
Posts: 42
Threads: 1
Joined: Sep 2019
FemmeFatale Wrote:Thank you all! It's great to have been introduced to the sport by my dad when I was young! Hoping that my little girl is into it just like her mama. She loves hunting and fishing already and shes only 2 so let's see!
As for my barrel, my husband got my upper from Delta Team Tactical. I will include the specs per their website below. Let me know what you guys think. We're on a tight budget so upper was not very expensive but I may swap barrels in the future when things are better.
I have a Nikon Monarch 5 4-20x50ED SF Advanced BDC scope on my Remington 700. I'm thinking of taking it out and putting it on the 6.5 and getting something else for the 700 which is my hunting rifle.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]14379[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]14380[/ATTACH]
If you have the tools and ability, I suggest taking the DTT assembled upper apart and reassembling it yourself. I've bought 5 assembled uppers from DTT and 2 or 3 had issues. One had a barrel nut so loose it actually rattled on the gas tube. It wasn't even hand tight. One had a loose gas block. Another had FTF/FTE issues, but I didn't identify any actual problem, so it may have been in the lower. All of them worked great after disassembly and proper reassembly.
If you don't have the tools and ability, make sure you inspect it at least. I like DTT's prices, and have bought lots of stuff from them, but their assembly quality control is obviously not that great.
Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Posts: 1,624
Threads: 58
Joined: Jan 2018
Welcome to the horde from the Republic of Texas!
Posts: 1,568
Threads: 8
Joined: Sep 2012
FF, I have purchased quite a number of things from pieces to upper assemblies from DTT, never had an issue with any of it. It keeping with ARE, however, any upper that I buy from anyone, immediately gets fully disassembled and then reassembled. I wanna be sure that it does what it's supposed to. Like ARE, I have gotten upper assemblies with loose barrel nuts but from other houses. I wanna be sure of what I have next to my face that has 40-50,000 psi in a very small space.