New Girl From South FL!
#1
Hey everyone!

My name is Krizia. I'm from South FL. New to this forum but been hunting and around the firearm world since a little girl. Turning 28 soon. Married to a wonderful man and blessed with a beautiful little girl! I am an NRA Certified Pistol Instructor and just absolutely love to shoot guns. I also sold firearms for 7 years which made my addiction just a little more.. well.. addicting!

I am currently building my 3rd AR platform rifle. My 1st was a 5.56 which I regret to have sold.. My 2nd is a 300 blackout pistol I just completed recently and now I'm in the process of building a 6.5 Grendel.

I built my 300 blk for hog hunting/ when we work in our land and the 6.5 will be for range time and some deer hunting. I may build another 5.56 or just an upper to swap with the 300 lower. What I would love to build some day is a 9mm AR pistol but that will have to wait.

I love to talk to others with similar interests which is why I am here! Hoping to get to know some of you guys/girls and hoping to learn new things about the 6.5 Grendel!
Reply
#2
Welcome to the Horde! The Grendel works well for hogs as well as targets and deer.

Grendels also have a propensity to grow in numbers
Reply
#3
Thank you Kmon! I really like the ballistics on this round and am very anxious to try it out! Once I complete it, I will make a video and post it on this forum with a range report. I am looking at the Hornady Black 123gr ELD match rounds. What do you think about those? I have a 20" barrel on my upper.
Reply
#4
Welcome to the horde Mam.
Reply
#5
Welcome! lots of opinions and help for building the Grrrr, plus loading and shooting.
Stay safe. Me personally, I would not recommend the several low-budget barrels out there, there are solid values for the $$ and also top line ones that are good... don't throw money after the lowest cost ones.
The barrel is your shooter, it translates what you want to do to the bullet which does your work!!
"Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"
Reply
#6
Welcome and I’ll second what grayfox said about the barrel. I’m not gonna bash BCA, but not buying another. I tried them when first available and had one great, one miserably inaccurate. For a little more $ the group buy barrels are great quality. Which barrel are you starting with?
Member since 2011, data lost in last hack attack
Reply
#7
Welcome
Reply
#8
The Hornady black shoots abuot MOA from my Grendels and I have not shot any critters with that load, but the older A-Max loads and SST loads I have used on game both worked well on deer, hogs and coyotes. I switched to the Nosler Accubond Long range bullets for hunting and really like them.

I also agree with the others about barrels, thought the group buy barrels have been good for the $ for sure and I would not hesitate to use them. My 2 are a 24 inch Overwatch upper from AA and a semi custom CZ 527 with an Obermeyer barrel from before CZ was chambering for the Grendel. The Overwatch is around a MOA shooter just above or below with about anything and the CZ shoots handloads half MOA or better.

Look at the knockdown survey for a lot of info on what others have been using.
Reply
#9
Welcome to the forum FemmeFatale!
Reply
#10
Welcome to the forum FemmeFatale. Unless you just want a 5.56, the Grendel has you covered.
Reply
#11
Welcome to the clan, FF, from the great nation of Texas! Your non-Grr toys are about to become very lonely. To repeat what has been said above, put your money in the barrel. The barrel and the upper receiver and that assembly makes or breaks an MSR platform, decides the difference between an outstanding one and an average or poor one.
Reply
#12
Welcome to the Gang. Enjoy time on the forum. Great to see more gals signing up on here.

Don't be afraid to ask for data. We're all here to help. This is the best mid size AR round out there.
Reply
#13
Welcome, so great to see more of you young ladies coming into our sport.
"Wild flower, growin' thru the cracks in the street" - Problem Child by Little Big Town
Reply
#14
Thank you all! It's great to have been introduced to the sport by my dad when I was young! Hoping that my little girl is into it just like her mama. She loves hunting and fishing already and shes only 2 so let's see!
As for my barrel, my husband got my upper from Delta Team Tactical. I will include the specs per their website below. Let me know what you guys think. We're on a tight budget so upper was not very expensive but I may swap barrels in the future when things are better.
I have a Nikon Monarch 5 4-20x50ED SF Advanced BDC scope on my Remington 700. I'm thinking of taking it out and putting it on the 6.5 and getting something else for the 700 which is my hunting rifle.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]14379[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]14380[/ATTACH]


Attached Files Thumbnail(s)
       
Slow is smooth, smooth is fast.
Reply
#15
What cartridge is your Rem 700 chambered for?

The Grendel is truly hard to beat for hunting any game one can find in Florida, or for that matter, the lower 48 states.

As someone said in an earlier post, Grendels tend to replicate in the gun safe. Same for how often one tends to use it rather than the "more powerful" classic hunting cartridges.
shootersnotes.com

"To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
-- Author Unknown

"If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished!" -- Milton Berle
Reply
#16
Femme, the barrel is in hand now, so best thing economy wise is to see what it can do. Do a nice break-in routine with factory ammo, maybe the first 50-100 rounds or so. Lots of advice on break-in routines. It might work out fine, I don't have any personal experience with DTT.
A 20" barrel will have plenty enough horsepower but still be pretty mild, them Florida critters need to look out.
Don't think I would try to do gator huntin' with it, however..... lol!
"Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"
Reply
#17
My 700 is chambered in .30-06
Slow is smooth, smooth is fast.
Reply
#18
FemmeFatale Wrote:My 700 is chambered in .30-06

The 30-06 is truly hard to beat as an all-round big game harvester.

If you haven't already, order a set of the Grendel Reloading Handbooks. You'll see why the Grendel is also effective on both small and medium game.

The recoil is like that of the .243 Winchester, so the cartridge will be a lot more fun to shoot!
shootersnotes.com

"To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
-- Author Unknown

"If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished!" -- Milton Berle
Reply
#19
I have talked with several who have gotten the DTT Grendels. All were found acceptable and I have gotten other uppers / barrels from them. You did OK.
Reply
#20
just_john Wrote:I have talked with several who have gotten the DTT Grendels. All were found acceptable and I have gotten other uppers / barrels from them. You did OK.

Sweet! I'm not looking to do any precision competition shooting or anything which is why I didn't go crazy with it. I just want it to shoot nice groups and take some deer with it. Maybe in the future i'll do a really nice precision rifle build but I like bolt action rifles for that. I'm still pending to purchase a trigger, lower, stock, buffer tube assembly, and bcg. All expensive parts except the lower lol so it'll be some time until I finish the 6.5. Trying to think of a cool name for it in the meantime lol
Slow is smooth, smooth is fast.
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)