01-23-2014, 11:39 PM
Any of you use a brass catcher to keep hold of your brass (and prevent it from flying off and hitting your neighbor)?
Do they work well? Are they worth it?
Do they work well? Are they worth it?
|
brass catcher?
|
|
01-23-2014, 11:39 PM
Any of you use a brass catcher to keep hold of your brass (and prevent it from flying off and hitting your neighbor)?
Do they work well? Are they worth it?
01-24-2014, 12:16 AM
I use the Caldwell catcher, it works pretty well. I think I ordered mine from JoeBob Outfitters
![]() And there is a guy on the Predator Masters website that makes them, and sells them for $12 shipped that get good reviews from users. www.predatormastersforums.com
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Guns kill people the same way forks make people fat.
01-24-2014, 12:16 AM
I thought of one to have while hunting to keep me from loosing my brass.
Try draping a small towl over the top and cover the ejection port. I've heard that works well but never really tried it.
01-24-2014, 12:26 AM
I have one from utg. It looks a lot like the Caldwell one above and works great.
01-24-2014, 12:30 AM
For walking about, I use the strapped on brass catcher, since I don't fire many rounds in the process. At the bench, however, I find it an annoyance, because it can cause ejection port obstructions, if the brass doesn't clear the opening.
Instead, I use a stationary brass net, seen here: ![]() http://www.midwayusa.com/product/771785/...brass-trap I just wish I'd gotten one sooner, as they work for almost any autoloader, hand gun or long gun (unless they eject straight up). You can also mount them on a stand or tripod, if that pleases you.
01-24-2014, 01:05 AM
I use the strap on style when at the range just to keep track of brass it's on sale for $6 at midway right now http://www.midwayusa.com/product/855937/...c=wishList when hunting I don't want the clutter and consider the one shot I might take sacrificial brass varmint hunting would be a different story and the strap on style can be modified a little to let the brass clear a little better
Punctuation is for the weak....
01-24-2014, 01:05 AM
I use the utg. It really helps on the bench when working up loads. Catch each brass and inspect for pressure signs. I leave it I unzippered and the brass just roll out on the bench. Good product
01-24-2014, 01:54 AM
I made this unit from a minnow net I bought at Academy for 6 bucks and a scrap piece of 7075. Works really well shooting off a bench....got lots of positive comments from my shooting neighbors:
01-24-2014, 02:22 AM
This is mine, The Brass Snatcher. I just picked 20 more up today from the shop. New model connects to the handguard via picatiny bracket like you see connected to my Beowulf on the 4wheeler. I reduced the measurement so it only sticks out 3" off the side of the upper. 6061 Aluminum powder coated to rock hard surface in black. Velcro bottom and no more embroidering to keep cost down and holds at least 100 rounds no problem. I have run over 1,000 rounds into the one on my Beowulf using the .50, Grendel and 223. All cases go in and no brass to pick up out of the grass.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]4458[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]4459[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]4460[/ATTACH]
01-24-2014, 04:23 AM
(This post was last modified: 01-24-2014, 04:26 AM by NugginFutz.)
I think I'm more interested in the mobile shooting bench, than anything else. Quite the piece of kit, there, Ted.
Back to brass catchers, though. What I like most about the Brass net, is actually illustrated well by Ted's collection. I only need the one, and never have to change it out or remove it, when shooting another weapon. Additionally, I am always able to check/clear the chamber, without any impairment. Especially useful, at the local range, where the RO likes to get a visual on all open bolts and empty chambers, during a cease fire.
01-24-2014, 05:37 AM
The biggest problems I have had with the velcro strap-on models is that they shift until you get deflection-induced malfs, and the wired opening doesn't stay formed how it needs to be.
There is a rail-mounted version from Brownell's that doesn't have those problems, made in USA, and it plugs in and out of the small mount that you attach to your rail. ![]() I have an el cheepo that I'm using right now, but you do have to check it between firings to re-adjust it so it doesn't malf your blaster. You can add grip tape or rubber inner tube to the section of handguard that the velcro straps wrap around to help it hold in place, but I haven't defaced my guns like that yet.
01-24-2014, 05:53 AM
LRRPF52 Wrote:There is a rail-mounted version from Brownell's that doesn't have those problems, made in USA, and it plugs in and out of the small mount that you attach to your rail. I bought one of these for a left handed 223 that I put together for my FIL. It didn't work on my rifle due to the mount taking up most of the rail on the receiver. IT fit perfect on his as I turned the bracket to the back of the rifle... LH
01-24-2014, 01:11 PM
LRRPF52 Wrote:The biggest problems I have had with the velcro strap-on models is that they shift until you get deflection-induced malfs, and the wired opening doesn't stay formed how it needs to be. The issue I had with my 1st model was the same as the above model, mounting to the top. It can interfere with the scope mount so I moved mine to the handguard. There is a company that makes one sort of like mine but much bulkier, heavier and very pricy. http://www.leavenotracear15.com/pictures_2.html I have been working on mine and making adjustments as needed and it really functions nice. Quick disconnect too. My shooting range likes mine and that's a good place to show them off. And I keep all my Grendel Brass too.
01-24-2014, 01:12 PM
bigbear_98 Wrote:I bought one of these for a left handed 223 that I put together for my FIL. It didn't work on my rifle due to the mount taking up most of the rail on the receiver. IT fit perfect on his as I turned the bracket to the back of the rifle... LH Mine is right or left handed.
01-24-2014, 01:27 PM
I just ordered the Caldwell brass catcher for my Grendel because I don't like scrounging through the dirt/sand/weeds trying to find my brass and risking other people stepping on "my precious".
[video=youtube;Iz-8CSa9xj8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iz-8CSa9xj8[/video]
01-24-2014, 02:36 PM
Tedward Wrote:Mine is right or left handed. I think his is too, but my scope mount is all the way to the front of my reciever, so there was no room for the catcher mount to fit. When I put it on his, I put the catcher mount behind the scope mount and it worked perfect. Easy to remove and install to.
01-24-2014, 02:54 PM
Caldwell now makes one similar to the one lrrpf52 posted. The pic mount is adjustable from front to back and it works well. I just wish they'd release extra pic mounts.
01-24-2014, 03:33 PM
http://www.elmfg.com/store/brasscatcher.html
I use these for all my AR15 uppers and some of my Colt 45ACPs. The mounting on an AR can be tricky. I use the 3/4" YHM risers to get the scope up and out of the way. Great product and even better customer service.
01-24-2014, 03:43 PM
Brasscatcher.com is worth a visit. I've got two. Everyone I shoot with that's seen mine has bought one and everybody's happy.
01-24-2014, 07:14 PM
|
|
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »
|