Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Woops I jacked up my barrel
#1
My Grendel was shooting great, but I just had to put a new Sampson handguard on. In this process I had the barrel viced and was tightening the barrel nut - something gave. My Sabre barrel started screwing out of the extension. Now the timing is off and theres no way I can reset it personally. Im in East Texas does anyone know a gunsmith close to me and/or have any idea what it might cost to have this tightened back on?
Reply
#2
Did you strip your upper receiver threads?
Reply
#3
No. I unscrewed the barrel from the barrel extension (I think thats what its called.) The part of the barrel with the pin that goes into the upper.
Reply
#4
It sounds like you snapped that pin.
"Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin
Reply
#5
Relax, guys. The OP knows the problem. Anybody know a gunsmith in East Texas, who can reset his Barrel Extension?
Reply
#6
Can you post a picture of the barrel extension and the damage so a good course of action can be suggested? Returning the barrel extension to it's "pined" location and replacing the pin should restore the head space.
Reply
#7
[Image: 1387642535_zpsfb56c36a.jpg]

Yeah I'm sure all its needs is to retime the barrel with the extension, but the 3/16in more turn that it needs to realign the pin with the gas tube on the barrel is going to require a hell of alot more torque than I'm equipped to apply. I put it in the only barrel vice I have which is aluminum and it just spun. And that's with as much pressure as I could apply with a bench vice.
Reply
#8
I dont think it's really "damaged." Just disassembled. lol
Reply
#9
You will probably need to take it to a smith or send it to somebody like woohoo that can put enough torque on it.

It takes around 150 pounds to do it right.

I've seen where a guy drilled a hole the size of the barrel into a piece of hard wood and cut it in half and used lead shims it to clamp the barrel to get it to hold without spinning.
Reply
#10
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/226100/...d-bushings

[Image: 226100.jpg]
Reply
#11
Please show a picture of the extension on the barrel as a close-up so we can see what you mean with " the 3/16in more turn". I'm also not sure about "realign the pin with the gas tube on the barrel"? I'll post a pic of the tool you'll need. I do not know of a way to "move" the extension 3/16" (in rotation) no matter what the force once the shoulders are in contact. If you send it to someone do not forget to include the bolt body.
Reply
#12
It may not be 3/16, but if the gas tube hole is 12oclock the extension pin is about 11 with shoulder contact. It must be able to tighten that much more because thats the way it was.

What is that bolt tool called?
Reply
#13
If it came off that easy you should be able to get it back on aligned with a hand torque wrench and the extension socket tool. We use an impact wrench. Most of the time after they are on we can't get them off with the same impact.
Reply
#14
woohoo Wrote:If it came off that easy you should be able to get it back on aligned with a hand torque wrench and the extension socket tool. We use an impact wrench. Most of the time after they are on we can't get them off with the same impact.

What size impact wrench do you use? Size does matter.
Reply
#15
montana Wrote:What size impact wrench do you use? Size does matter.
If they reach 150 they reach 150. Spinning the barrel in the vice doesn't help tighten or loosen it.
Reply
#16
woohoo Wrote:If they reach 150 they reach 150. Spinning the barrel in the vice doesn't help tighten or loosen it.

150 foot pounds,gotcha. Using an impact wrench was a good idea, thanks.
Reply
#17
woohoo Wrote:If it came off that easy you should be able to get it back on aligned with a hand torque wrench and the extension socket tool. We use an impact wrench. Most of the time after they are on we can't get them off with the same impact.

Can you be more specific about exactly what brand and model of tools you prefer for barrel installation? That step is important (and intimidating) enough that it has made me shy of doing my own builds.
Reply
#18
Nukes Wrote:Can you be more specific about exactly what brand and model of tools you prefer for barrel installation? That step is important (and intimidating) enough that it has made me shy of doing my own builds.

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-...27452.aspx

I have never installed a barrel extension on to a barrel before but I would think it would be something like this. Barrel installation is easy but putting a barrel extension on to a barrel and getting the proper head space," I would want training" by some one like woohoo.
Reply
#19
Nukes Wrote:Can you be more specific about exactly what brand and model of tools you prefer for barrel installation? That step is important (and intimidating) enough that it has made me shy of doing my own builds.
barrel extension socket-https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/image...VqttjTAi4a

If you use a hand torque wrench like a snapon you will have a hard time holding the barrel from rotating. Any 1/2-3/4" air driven impact that will hit 150ft lbs will rattle the extension on and get it much tighter than a hand turned wrench.

The round part vise I use weighs about 40lbs and runs around $200. Rosin on the round alum jaws will help hold the barrel still in a normal vise.

You can't change the headspace unless you have a reamer or a lathe. It is what it is. The only thing you can do is check and change bolts to one that matches better.
Reply
#20
http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-...30794.aspx

I was close Smile
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)