XcountryRider
Unregistered
I went out hunting with my son this morning and bagged my first San Diego public land pig. I would have liked larger but it was big enough to shoot so i did. Its skinned and cleaned now what? Any advice on cooking a small pig would be appreciated.
[video=youtube;_jLSnG3b4X4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jLSnG3b4X4&feature=youtu.be[/video]
Posts: 3,654
Threads: 17
Joined: Aug 2013
I watched your video and have to say I found myself grinning along with you guys. There's something about hunting that most of my city firends just don't get. Thanks for sharing.
That squeeler didn't stand a chance against those 'Ferrari' guns. A clean, humane kill. Nice one!
I'll let someone else chime in about cooking that thing because I'm not a pig expert, other than to say we have a saying about 'young and tender'. Those backstraps are going to melt in your mouth.
If you have a barrel type smoker, either leave him whole or split in half and smoke with generous amounts of pecan, apple, mesquite, or whatever cooking wood is available in your area. Season before cooking with a good pork rub that you normally use on ribs, Boston butts, etc.
It should probably take around 8-12 hours, depending on size of pig. Temperature in pit should be between 275-325. Just don't over cook, as feral swine have much less fat than their domestic brethren and will dry out quickly. If you don't have a pit big enough,you'll need to quarter the pig and cook individual cuts of meat. Hope this helps.
Almost forgot, while cooking, depending on your tastes, spray the pig down with vinegar, lemon juice, salt and pepper or just plain old apple juice and apple cider vinegar. And don't forget the cold adult beverages to keep your grilling senses sharp.
Richard
Posts: 86
Threads: 4
Joined: Jan 2013
Well that is just the right size for cooking. The big boars are left to feed coyotes and buzzards. What I do with them is season them up. Put them on the pit for about 3-4 hours then wrap with foil and cook another 3-4 hours depending on how big it is. I cook with hardwoods and try to keep the temperature around 250-300. Now keep in mind Im cooking on a large BBQ smoker. You could also cut it up and do the same. Watch the ribs as they will get done first as they are so thin. May cut them off and start them later.
Denim is right, I forgot about the foil. That is key to the tenderness and moisture in the meat.
Posts: 1,143
Threads: 51
Joined: May 2012
if you have a large slow cooker roaster you could turn the whole thing into pulled pork lately i have been making the dr pepper pulled pork
http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2013/...ecipe.html i have been using this recipe but adding some extra spices and adjusting for the size of the meat just make sure you thoroughly cook wild pig
Punctuation is for the weak....
XcountryRider
Unregistered
mongoosesnipe Wrote:if you have a large slow cooker roaster you could turn the whole thing into pulled pork lately i have been making the dr pepper pulled pork
http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2013/...ecipe.html i have been using this recipe but adding some extra spices and adjusting for the size of the meat just make sure you thoroughly cook wild pig
Thanks i don't have a full day in the next couple weekends to smoke it so i think i'll have the wife make pulled pork in her roaster.
Posts: 1,143
Threads: 51
Joined: May 2012
XcountryRider Wrote:Thanks i don't have a full day in the next couple weekends to smoke it so i think i'll have the wife make pulled pork in her roaster,
It's still a lengthy process but rather low maintenance after you get it in the roaster
Punctuation is for the weak....
XcountryRider
Unregistered
mongoosesnipe Wrote:It's still a lengthy process but rather low maintenance after you get it in the roaster
With bones on?
(1)Slow cook. Long time like 8- 10 hrs. Drink lots of beer while it is cooking. Or the way I like to do it now.(2) Put all the meat in a couple of crock pots and cover with Orange Soda. Dont drink beer all day, keep your wife happy and go hunting again. Cook pork all day in the crock pots. Meat comes out tangy, sweet and moist that way. Make BBQ pork sandwiches.
Posts: 692
Threads: 63
Joined: Nov 2011
Keep on ice for a week and let it bleed out.
Marinate overnight on ice with apple cider vinegar. after rubbing it down with mustard and salt lick rub.
Slow smoke for 10+ hours.
I have yet to really find a way to cook a feral hog in Texas that actually is worth the trouble. but good luck to you.
Personally I prefer to feed the coyotes (Bait) and buzzards gotta eat to :-D
If you want a good feral boar you first need to catch them young then cut there junk. Wait about 2-3 years locate boar then he will be nice and fat. otherwise they just run around chasing tail not fatty at all and are tough as chewing leather
XcountryRider
Unregistered
I'm thinking the California acorn feed hogs are better tasting. This pigs stomach was full of acorns. Like gorged full.
Posts: 692
Threads: 63
Joined: Nov 2011
Well in that case bon appetit :-D
Be sure to let us know how you decide to prepared it; and how it turned out.
Was it a boar or sow? Boars taste worse. Did the meat smell bad-on the out side? If so the meat wont be any better on the inside. Not all is not lost.Pigs that size are good. I put a couple of hundred pounds in the freezer a year. Another receipt involving slow cooker. Bone. Find a receipt for BBQ sauce on internet with lots of vinigar and brown sugar. Cook long time.//// Other thoughts on your hunt; you maybe could have tried to neck shoot little guy,their vitals are a little forward and lower then where a dears are. When engaging a passle (heard) of pigs, I like my scope to be at its lowest setting giving the largest FOV. Still, you took took a pig, I didnt even know San Diago had pigs.
XcountryRider
Unregistered
hm2 clark Wrote:Was it a boar or sow? Boars taste worse. Did the meat smell bad-on the out side? If so the meat wont be any better on the inside. Not all is not lost.Pigs that size are good. I put a couple of hundred pounds in the freezer a year. Another receipt involving slow cooker. Bone. Find a receipt for BBQ sauce on internet with lots of vinigar and brown sugar. Cook long time.//// Other thoughts on your hunt; you maybe could have tried to neck shoot little guy,their vitals are a little forward and lower then where a dears are. When engaging a passle (heard) of pigs, I like my scope to be at its lowest setting giving the largest FOV. Still, you took took a pig, I didnt even know San Diago had pigs.
It was a sow. The pigs were introduced by a local tribe of Indians in 2006. Initially it was 35 Eurasian/feral hybrids released on the reservation. They are now all over the county and at huntable levels. The state was pretty pissed off and actually an eradication program was due to start on July 1st but was canceled due to "enforcement issues" whatever that means. Here's a video from May when i first found a huntable area while out scouting on my motorcycle.
[video=youtube;wN7Gyx2cEtU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wN7Gyx2cEtU&feature=youtu.be[/video]
Posts: 990
Threads: 8
Joined: Oct 2012
In addition to the suggested ways of braising or roasting, consider sous vide or solar oven cooking as well for no-maintenance ways of slow cooking which will drastically soften tough meat without any flavor changes (unless you want to change the flavor, in which case of course you can).
Hmmmm...Southern California now has increasing numbers of feral hogs. I suspect the price of marijuana is going to skyrocket.
XcountryRider
Unregistered
I can slow cook in roaster with bones on correct?
Posts: 990
Threads: 8
Joined: Oct 2012
Why not butcher it and cook the individual cuts as you need them?