I really wish I had endless funds but unfortunately that's not the case. Whats my best bet on a barrel in the $200-$300 range? I keep searching and going back and fourth and kind of driving my self a little nut. I'm mostly looking at ar performance and black hole. I wanted 22" or 24" but will most likely settle on a 20".
Thanks y'all!
Posts: 1,143
Threads: 51
Joined: May 2012
They price difference between a entry level barrel and a high end barrel isn't that much the differnce inwait time however is huge the ar stoner barrel and bolt runs around 300 custom satern is 443 with the advantage to the stoner is you can catch them in stock or back order them and have hem quick I have been waiting since may for my satern if I knew it was going to be a long as it has been I probably would have gone with a production barrel the stoners are nice barrels from what I have heard if you want it quick go with the stoner but for the extra 150 If go custom you will have 6+ months to come up with the extra money
I think you need to know exactly what your expectations are. My gr upper is from Model 1 sales with a 24" ER Shaw barrel. By the standards of most on this web site it would be considered "lower shelf". However, I've found a couple loads that shoot just under MOA at 100yds and 2 that shoot about .5 MOA. with consistency. For now I'm happy with this. A more expensive set up may shoot just about enything well but, in my opinion, once you find your barrel's node your good to go. What are your expectations?
Tikka
I would like to shoot 1"moa better is always better obviously but 1" would be nice.
Posts: 415
Threads: 6
Joined: Mar 2011
I doubt you'd be disappointed with either the Black Hole or the ARP barrel, personally I'd go Black Hole Weaponry.
Μολὼν λαβέ
Posts: 3,340
Threads: 46
Joined: Mar 2011
500 Wrote:I really wish I had endless funds but unfortunately that's not the case. Whats my best bet on a barrel in the $200-$300 range? I keep searching and going back and fourth and kind of driving my self a little nut. I'm mostly looking at ar performance and black hole. I wanted 22" or 24" but will most likely settle on a 20".
Thanks y'all!
500:
The fast answer is none. Take my word for it, if there was a $300.00 barrel that shot well, Satern, Krieger, etc would be out of business.
If you want something to hold a minute or less at 500 or 600 yards, you want to get the top end barrels. If you think that holding a minute some of the time at distances under 200 yards is fine, or that you will be hunting big game, then by all means get a Shaw or something of the same price and quality.
LR1955
How do shilen barrels stack up to the rest?
Posts: 3,340
Threads: 46
Joined: Mar 2011
500 Wrote:How do shilen barrels stack up to the rest?
500:
It depends. If you want a $300.00 hunting grade Shilen barrel, and they make such a thing for that low a price, then you get a hunting grade barrel stamped 'Shilen'. If you want a match grade barrel from Shilen, then you will pay for one and get that level of quality.
Many times guys buy one brand of barrel like they stick with one brand of car. So, guys may buy nothing but Shilens or nothing but Kriegers. I think Shilen button rifles and Krieger cut rifles. If that has any meaning to you, then your decision may be which one uses the type of manufacturing process you think is better.
Buy a barrel based on your intended use for the rifle. If you are going to hunt at relatively close ranges, then a Shaw will be fine. If you intend on seeing how well you can shoot at any range, then you need the best quality barrel you can get. And the best quality sighting system you can get. And the best quality trigger you can get. Cosmetics do not improve performance and you will not get away with a cheap barrel if precision is your end state.
LR1955
grin&dull
Unregistered
Kind of comes to a few things all working together. What do you want the rifle to do? If you use all the money on a high dollar barrel but can’t mate it up with a good scope and trigger you don’t get any benefit of the higher price barrel. I went with a BHW barrel for a hog and deer hunting rifle and have been very happy. I have a scope and trigger that are about right for this 18” barrels useful range if I want to reach out further I’d need more barrel and better glass plus a 2 stage trigger / more money.
As I said: Buy a barrel to meet your expectations.
Posts: 783
Threads: 65
Joined: Apr 2012
Others have already addressed the issue of intended use. If its hog or deer hunting, then a 16 - 18" Shaw barrel with good quality single stage trigger with 4-10x scope will work. My 16" Shaw barrel shoots 1 - 1.5 MOA routinely, and I've found a couple of loads that get it to 0.8 - 1.0 MOA. For it's intended purpose, this is more than accurate enough.
Because you've interested 20 - 24" barrels, it seems like you're interested in better accuracy and longer ranges. Then LR1955 and grin&dull's comments about quality trigger and scope are .... um.....accurate. I think you would be better served by waiting and continue saving for a higher quality barrel. And be prepared to spend about as much on a trigger and 2 - 3x as much on a scope.
I spent more money for my 24" Satern barrel. I also invested in a Geissele trigger. The results are quite obvious - a 0.5 MOA gun. But with a 24x scope it weighs in over 12 lbs without bipod or magazine. So its not a gun that I would want to (or intend to) carry over hill and dale very far.
I guess I kinda want the best of both worlds. It will be used for hunting but I want 1" moa or better. I don't really hunt out to 500 yds but I want that ability to do so if the opportunity comes up. I will save and go with one of the better barrels. When ordering from a company like satern do you a deposit or pay the full price up front?
I have a stripped upper and lower for the build so my plan is to build the upper first that way I can use it on my current ar and slowly build my lower with a better trigger and stock.
Thanks for all your advice!
When Midway gets the 16" AR Stoner barrels and bolts back in stock I'm going to try one and also put a Satern or Shilen on back order.
The shilen says its expected back in stock today.
Posts: 1,143
Threads: 51
Joined: May 2012
Satern does not require a deposit they just call you when your barrel is done
So i guess I need to decide to get a 20" bull or go for the 24" fluted
Is there any other specific things I should ask for other that a 24" fluted barrel when I place my order? Is everything pretty standard when ordering from satern or should I ask for a specific twist rate or anything like that?
most of what Ive seen of theirs in 6.5 is 1-8.75". That should serve you well
Well I ordered my satern barrel today. I went with a 24" fluted medium heavy contour with a target crown. Now I just have to wait 8 months. Yeah it cost a lot more but at least I know what kind of quality I will be getting!
Posts: 1,827
Threads: 111
Joined: Jun 2011
You won't regret it!
I have two Satern barrels in Grendel
LIFE member: NRA, TSRA, SAF, GOA
Defend the Constitution and our 2A Rights!