So comparing glass quality/price for the money what are your opinions on the following:
-Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40 rz600 reticle
-Leopold vx-r 4-12x40 w/cds turrets
-Vortex PST 2.5-10x44 MOA/MOA
-Burris TAC 30 4.5-14X42 mil-dot
Any other suggestions are welcome also. Trying to stay under a 44mm objective and ~$600 budget. I would like it to be capable of occasionally shooting 600+ yards
I have the Vortex PST 2.5-10x44 in the MOA version and I love it. Ranging in MOA is really easy to do. I can't comment on the other scopes mentioned, but I do own a Leupold VX3 with the CDS knobs. I like it, too, but I think the optics are nicer on the Vortex.
ChellieWiles
Unregistered
I have two Zeiss conquest scopes; one with the 3-9X 44mm with rapid z 800, the other is 4-14X 44mm with rapid Z 1000. Both are awesome and crystal clear. I've dropped the 3-9 off the hood of the car into gravel and p.o.i. was not changed at all, only a few scars for the rifle. They're very good scopes for the price range they fall in. You'll fall in love with the rapid Z reticles and won't like another unless it has similar mil dot features.
Whatever you get, make sure you get Mil-dot reticles. I prefer fixed scopes myself, makes ranging and compensation much easier...but to each his own!
Posts: 1,081
Threads: 34
Joined: Apr 2012
I have a 4.5-14 Nikon with MD retical sitting waiting for my build to finish. Have had it on anther rifle (7x57 custom for initial load testing then swapped it out for a 2.7 Leupold with LR retical) and it is an excellent scope as is the 4-16 with the same MD retical I have on my 20 VarTarg. Good clear glass and crisp well defined vision.
Von Gruff.
Posts: 1,685
Threads: 55
Joined: Mar 2011
My only suggestion is a mil-type reticle, and turrets that agree (either both mil, or both moa). This allows dialing up or holding over (or a combination of both) using the same dope. A reticle in the first focal plane would be another plus, but would likely exceed your budget. Though I've successfully used ballistic-type reticles, I view mildot-type as being superior. YMMV. Buy the very best glass you can with the features you want.
Drifter
Posts: 1,685
Threads: 55
Joined: Mar 2011
This Vortex 5-15x44mm is a MidwayUSA exclusive that gets good reviews and fits your budget:
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/183567/...icle-matte
Drifter
Posts: 2,075
Threads: 35
Joined: Mar 2011
+1 more for Zeiss Conquest. The glass can't be beat in that price range. It's as good if not better than many $3000+ scopes I've used.
If it wasn't for the backorder being till September I would be ordering that Viper HS. I'm still up in the air on what scope to actually buy still
I might stretch my dollar a little more and go for a Viper PST 4-16x50 FFP even though it has a 50mm objective. Thoughts or opinions on other scopes in the same price range as the 4-16 FFP Vortex?
Posts: 1,685
Threads: 55
Joined: Mar 2011
06-26-2012, 06:09 AM
(This post was last modified: 06-26-2012, 06:13 AM by Drifter.)
Chato308 Wrote:I might stretch my dollar a little more and go for a Viper PST 4-16x50 FFP even though it has a 50mm objective. Thoughts or opinions on other scopes in the same price range as the 4-16 FFP Vortex?
That scope will be tough (if not impossible) to beat in its price segment and with the same features. And I wouldn't worry about the 50mm objective; plenty of room for it on an AR if the scope is mounted at the appropriate height.
Drifter
What kind of mounts are most people using, Burris and LaRue? Any others at a good price?
Posts: 2,075
Threads: 35
Joined: Mar 2011
06-26-2012, 06:38 PM
(This post was last modified: 06-26-2012, 06:48 PM by txgunner00.)
Bobro is a good one. I wasn't too impressed with the ADM I've used. Return to zero wasn't too good- it took a few shots to settle in.
Posts: 1,685
Threads: 55
Joined: Mar 2011
Chato308 Wrote:What kind of mounts are most people using, Burris and LaRue? Any others at a good price?
Bobro and ADM are my favorites. LaRue also has options. Most will run ~$200.
If you don't plan to remove the scope, and / or don't need precise return-to-zero, I'm sure there are quality options without the QD aspect that are less expensive. But an AR cantilever mount of some sort will usually have the appropriate height and eye relief. Absent a monolithic design, the mount needs to connect to the receiver only (and not the railed handguard).
If you go with the Vortex scope, they also offer AR-style Vortex-brand mounts (manufactured by ADM).
Drifter
Posts: 2,075
Threads: 35
Joined: Mar 2011
Drifter Wrote:Bobro and ADM are my favorites. LaRue also has options. Most will run ~$200.
If you don't plan to remove the scope, and / or don't need precise return-to-zero, I'm sure there are quality options without the QD aspect that are less expensive. But an AR cantilever mount of some sort will usually have the appropriate height and eye relief. Absent a monolithic design, the mount needs to connect to the receiver only (and not the railed handguard).
If you go with the Vortex scope, they also offer AR-style Vortex-brand mounts (manufactured by ADM).
Larue has a option for this. It's the same mount sans throw levers. You need a wrench to remove & install it but it mounts and returns to zero just like the lever model. Knocks $50 off the price of the mount. This is what I have on my Grendel and it has held up and performed very well.
one more option, if you're going to go really long range is an Aadland semi fixed 20moa base and rings. got one to go with my 4-16-50 pst and this is built like the proverbial brick s...house. not the lightest, but extends your scope's range another 20moa on those really long days. have bobro's on my swfa 30mm's that move around occasionally, and a 1" 3.5-10 leupy in an adm recon that i like as well. hell to have good options, eh?
Very happy with the Vortex HS 2.5-10x44 and Larue 158 mount set-up on my Grendel. For pictures, if your interested, clink on my name and open my Grendel #2 album. Primary purpose is for Whitetail.
Chato308, Have you looked at the HorusVision scopes? They are First Focal Plane, and have matching turrets / reticle. Hold overs are a simple matter of an (x),(y) coordinate system. You can even use the reticle to estimate range. If you can get passed the common misconception that the reticles are "too" busy, they are a very capable long range shooting solution. If you have an Iphone or an Android device, you can get the "SHOOTER" App and have a complete shooting system. The App will also accommodate the clicky scopes as well.
horusvision.com
Bwild97 Wrote:Chato308, Have you looked at the HorusVision scopes? They are First Focal Plane, and have matching turrets / reticle. Hold overs are a simple matter of an (x),(y) coordinate system. You can even use the reticle to estimate range. If you can get passed the common misconception that the reticles are "too" busy, they are a very capable long range shooting solution. If you have an Iphone or an Android device, you can get the "SHOOTER" App and have a complete shooting system. The App will also accommodate the clicky scopes as well.
horusvision.com
This would be perfect for my needs
http://www.horusvision.com/hawk.php#scopeSpecs
|