Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Thoughts on Lyman 51st edition load manual
#1
Anyone here given the Lyman 51st edition load manual a look, yet? Personally the 6.5 Grendel load data has my interest more than anything else. Suppose I have little faith Ill find anything new or question if the data will do much if anything to compliment Hornady load data.
Reply
#2
6.5 Grendel was already in the Lyman 50th edition.

I think I have every Hornady edition since the 8th, bought the 11th Edition last year.

Big reasons to get the Lyman 51st Edition are for:

224 Valkrie
22 Nosler
6mm ARC
6mm Creedmoor
6.5 PRC
6.5 Weatherby RPM
6.8 Western
300 PRC

I think Hornady has the last 6 of those covered well already since 4 of those are their cartridges.
NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com
Reply
#3
SDguy Wrote:Anyone here given the Lyman 51st edition load manual a look, yet? Personally the 6.5 Grendel load data has my interest more than anything else. Suppose I have little faith Ill find anything new or question if the data will do much if anything to compliment Hornady load data.

Haven’t seen the 51st edition, I have the 50th. I like some things about it but, the only time I’ve ever had any trouble with load data was the Lyman 6.5x55 Swede data.

I look at the Hornady data but almost always use the Hodgdon data as the baseline. I shoot a lot of Speer 90 TNT and 120 Gold Dots, so, I use a lot of their data too.

Hodgdon and Speer data is free online too. Just saying…….
Reply
#4
If there’s a particular cartridge I load for more often than others, I like to have as much data for it from as many sources as possible if I’m going to be using different powders and bullets.

Vihtavuori has 2 different sets of data for 6.5x55 Mauser based on different pressures, for example.
NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com
Reply
#5
Quote: Vihtavuori has 2 different sets of data for 6.5x55 Mauser based on different pressures, for example.

A lot of manuals do. I know you know this but for anyone else. Low pressure data is for the old military issued Mausers, high pressure for the new commercial actions. My issue was piercing/popping primers with the minimum load data for the older military actions. I have a chopped down 1907 Carl Gustav M96 to M38. I started out with the minimum charge weight in the Lyman manual and it was piercing/popping primers. Turns out it was a little too low of a charge and it was detonating, not burning. Increased the charge a grain and the problem went away!
Reply
#6
Try loading for 45-70 Government! Most manuals have three different sets of data for the cartridge. I've loaded for all three. Gotta be careful marking cartridge boxes & not grabbing the wrong ones when headed to the range. I do plan on using two different loads for both 6.5 Grendel & 6mm ARC in my gas & bolt guns. I'll just have to be careful keeping brass separated when processing them. Best not try to reload both at the same time.
I refuse to be victimized by notions of virtuous behavior.
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)