Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
hornady 123SST velocity in handloads
#1
I am asking if anyone has tried this handload with the bullet crimped at the cannelure. Would be interested in any velocity change was
discovered in crimp vs no crimp for identical loads. Hornady 123SST, Hornady brass, CCI400 primer, 31gr CFE223, crimped at cannelure.
Temp 62deg, cloudy, no wind, press 30.13, elev 194ft.

AR15 Anderson lower, Velocity trigger, BCA bcg, BCA 18" 5R hvy barrel. Has approximately 1000rds through it.
chrono at 10ft from muzzle, 2 year old Caldwell chrono.

1.2486fps
2.2467fps
3.2488fps

2 minutes between shots to pickup brass and check for pressure signs. NONE

Rifle has been used in rotation with 1 more grendel and 2 more 7.62x39.
Previous grendel loads were 30 grains CFE223, uncrimped. Average fps was 2379 for this grendel and 2407 for the other identical grendel.

If anyone else has tried the 31 grain load please give me the velocity.
Reply
#2
That’s right where my velocities are from 17.6” and 18” Grendels, no crimping.

From my 18” LaRue with 31.2gr CFE223 under the 123gr A-MAX:

2477
2528
2517
2524
2544
2518
2523

31.0gr of CFE223 under a 123gr Hornady is a pretty mild load, but delivers excellent velocity and long-term brass life.

My brass comes out looking new as long as I’m not shooting suppressed.
NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com
Reply
#3
Thanks for the response. Put my mind to rest. Will accuracy test this coming week if the weather will let up. I was looking for somewhere close to 2500fps
for my hunting load next season. I will probably be using Grendel only, as shoulder is acting up and I am too old to go through replacement again! Guess the kids will get to try my swede, 270, remington 600/308 and my favorite, custom Mauser 30-06 26" barrel. I have 2 stands for long range (for us southeast types).
One is 265 yds and the other is 425. That is why I was trying to get the Grendel to at least the 265 yard stand. Again, thanks for the reply.
Reply
#4
Haven't shot CFE223 in years. My rifles preferred 8208 and LVR. But I've found in several calibers unless crimp is heavy, the only impact I've seen on velocity has been to reduce ES.
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)