Posts: 92
Threads: 13
Joined: Apr 2019
How important is it to get .264 of the bullet seated into the case when reloading with Speer Tnt? My manual says oal of 2.2 with as short as these bullets are Im at 2.2 oal but that only puts .210 of the base of the bullet in the case. Either they used much longer brass or Im doing something wrong. My brass is 1.508 in length.
Posts: 1,716
Threads: 42
Joined: Aug 2011
09-07-2020, 12:02 AM
(This post was last modified: 09-07-2020, 04:02 PM by biodsl.)
Are you overthinking this? Your brass length is in spec and your OAL is by the book.What's your concern? I shot a TNT loaded to 2.212 last week. It shoot great with no trouble.
Paul Peloquin
Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?
Posts: 92
Threads: 13
Joined: Apr 2019
biodsl Wrote:Are you overthinking this? Your brass length is in spec and your OAL is by the book.What's your concern? I shot a TNT loaded to 2.212 last week. It should great with now trouble.
Maybe but I guess I was wondering if I pushed them into the case to the .264 minimum my oal will be shorter then my book. But will it help stabilize the bullet and maybe get more accuracy? Ive shot these rounds at 2.2 oal and accuracy is decent. This will be my yote hunting round so the tighter the better.
Posts: 384
Threads: 25
Joined: Jan 2017
There is nothing wrong with playing with the seating depth to get your best load accuracy, at a difference of .054 you're looking at an OAL of 2.146. I say give it a try.
"Wild flower, growin' thru the cracks in the street" - Problem Child by Little Big Town
Posts: 781
Threads: 29
Joined: Feb 2018
The seating depth that is given in loading data is the length that will operate safely in all firearms for the caliber according to SAAMI specifications. It does not mean that this is the seating depth that is best for YOUR firearm. As has been mentioned you can play with the seating depth some and I doubt that with the short 90 gr TNT you would ever be able to hit the lands and have enough base of the bullet in the case to hold it. As long as you have enough base of the bullet in the case to hold it securely you are good to go. It does not have to be a minimum of the measurement of the diameter of a bullet. This is just an old school ball park figure that will keep you from jamming a bullet into the lands in most weapons.
Posts: 1,397
Threads: 48
Joined: Jun 2019
Ive always seated Speer 90g TNT at 2.200 with great results.That is what I was told from the start. And I never even tried changing anything. Shoots great.
Posts: 1,479
Threads: 108
Joined: Nov 2019
same im either at 2.190 or 2.200 depending on if supressed or not