Posts: 11
Threads: 2
Joined: Jul 2020
I've been unsuccessful with this LFCD, foolishly I bought another incase the one which came with the lee set was flawed.
I can't get a crimp without ruining the brass.
I've not had this issue with other calibers.
I reckon I'll purchase a set of RCBS or Hornady before I load any more.
Posts: 1,479
Threads: 108
Joined: Nov 2019
i dont crimp any of my loads its not needed
Posts: 11
Threads: 2
Joined: Jul 2020
I should mention the reason I thought about using the LFCD was because I noticed bullets were being seated deeper when loading my Ruger American.
Posts: 1,479
Threads: 108
Joined: Nov 2019
what bullets ? maybe ur die isnt sizing the neck properly ive tried to push a bullet into the case after loading and couldnt do it , i use lee dies
Posts: 11
Threads: 2
Joined: Jul 2020
Hi mel,
I've not had any issues with seating bullets. I've been loading Sierra 120 gr SP AND Hornady 100 gr SP.
Rob
Posts: 1,624
Threads: 58
Joined: Jan 2018
Do yourself a favor get a set of Forster's and probably won't need the crimp die. Haven't crimped one yet. Probably not reading this right but sounds like a neck tension issue more than the crimping.
Posts: 6,193
Threads: 170
Joined: Mar 2015
ira41magfan Wrote:I should mention the reason I thought about using the LFCD was because I noticed bullets were being seated deeper when loading my Ruger American.
That's due to your die not giving you enough neck tention.
Get a better die that gives more neck tention and you will never have to crimp again.
Posts: 11
Threads: 2
Joined: Jul 2020
Thats what I'll do , new set of die only a different brand.
Thanks
Rob
Posts: 11
Threads: 2
Joined: Jul 2020
New set of dies it is then!
Thanks
Rob
Posts: 14
Threads: 3
Joined: Sep 2019
I hunt w my Grendel in an AR almost every night. I burn through 100-200 rounds each month. All rounds are reloads and all rounds are crimped w a LFCD with no troubles. When you say it ruins the brass, what exactly is it doing to the brass?
--HC
Posts: 1,106
Threads: 8
Joined: Nov 2017
I use Lee,s LFCD and found that you really do not need a lot of crimp , when I first started I would score the bullet , way to much .
Posts: 3,654
Threads: 17
Joined: Aug 2013
My experience of the Lee crimp die in .223 is it's somewhere in between a handgun roll crimp and a rifle taper crimp die. It concentrates the crimp at the mouth and leaves a slight, permanent indent after firing.
Posts: 11
Threads: 2
Joined: Jul 2020
Everyone's input has been very helpful, thank you...
I did buy a set of RCBS die and....
Just now, looking over my 2 LFCD's, I realized that the die which came with the set was sticking. When the first cartridge is pushed into the die it doesn't reset which means the next cartridge gets the shoulder pushed in.
I've then used the one bought separately and seems to be working properly. I can see the results but not to the brass.
So now I'm a proud owner of two sets of dies as well as two LFCD's.
Anyway, l like having a backup set. Something I started with the 41 mag.
Great site, thank you all for your input!!
Rob
Posts: 11
Threads: 2
Joined: Jul 2020
Well upon closer inspection one of my LFCD's, the one which came with the set was sticking and the other works properly.
So! I now have 2 sets of dies, however I like having backup tools.
Thank you all for the input, now on to reloading M1 Carbine with the grandsons!
Posts: 41
Threads: 11
Joined: Aug 2020
For what it's worth, here are some observations on the Lee crimping die. Factory instructions advise starting with one half turn when putting it on the press. I've found that you need a little more; say, about the two o'clock position. Any more and you end up with a cartridge that is around .005 shorter. So I simply seat the bullet about .005 shallower and get a perfect OAL.
Now, here's the question. Are you shooting these rounds through a bolt action rifle, or an AR-15 platform? Bolt action rifles really don't require a crimp, nor should they have one since it diminishes accuracy. As for the AR-15, I would probably not roll crimp, but taper crimp, as per the advice of Rabbi Mermelstein.
That's all I have to say about the subject.