Hay to all
I am a new be to the grendel, so I am looking for someone that has found a sub Moa load for a bca 20" heavy barrel. I would appreciate any bullet weight and powder charges that you have found that shoots Moa I your bca rifle.and what type of powder used, and bullet weight. I appreciate any input for anybody that's interested in responding thank you all and keep shooting
ljdavidson, there is info that can help, and there is info you will have to find out for your self.
What you need to find out for yourself is at what oal will bullets touch the lands, that leads to the starting point of seating depth variations to test for accuracy.
In my BCA 24" rifle I achieved sub moa loads using the 120 Sierra Match King and also the Sierra 120 Pro Hunter seated between 2.260 to 2.290.
Winchester 748 worked great and Power Pro Varmint worked fine as well.
01-10-2020, 03:15 PM (This post was last modified: 01-10-2020, 03:22 PM by 1Shot.)
It really depends on your individual BCA barrel as to it's accuracy. If you do some research on this site you will find some horror stories about BCA barrels. My first upper I got to get into 6.5 Grendel cheaply was a 20" stainless fluted BCA and it was a nightmare. It shot patterns not groups. After a number of unanswered emails and two unreturned phone voice mails I finally got to talk to the warranty person and was sent a UPS pick up ticket. I sent the upper back and they replaced the barrel. It shot much better out of the box but still was averaging 2 to 3 inches. It took almost 100 rounds through it before it started to settle down and I found a couple loads that would shoot just under MOA. First off I found that it as well as another rifle that I built with an Oden Works barrel do not like Hornady 123 SST bullets either in factory or many different hand load combos.
Here is what I found and settled on with the BCA. THESE ARE MAX LOADS IN MY RIFLE AND IF YOU USE THIS DATA YOU DO SO AT YOUR OWN RISK BECASUE IT IS OVER MAX PUBLISHED DATA.
Cases were match prepped by removing the inside of the case flash hole burr and all cases were trimmed to 1.513 which gives enough case length to get a good Factory Crimp on.
Load 1
Hornady case, CCI 450, 28.0 IMR 8208, 120 Speer Gold Dot, COAL 2.275 This length will not work in Elander magazines because it is too long. It works fine in ASC/AR-Stoner magazines. I use a medium Lee Factory Crimp on my loads. I average 2550 fps. This is devastation on deer.
Load 2
Hornady case, CCI 450, 28.5 grs IMR 8208, 120 Sierra Pro Hunter, COAL 2.250 and I use a medium Lee Factory Crimp.
By medium Lee Factory Crimp I mean raise the ram with the shell holder installed all the way up. Then screw the die down while watching the fingers inside the die until they close half way between fully closing and being fully open. This is what works for me you may find that no crimp works for you. You will just have to experiment.
thank you all for the information that you have to give. i will look into it and add some of the input to my reloading. i have been using lees loading data so far, and plan on picking up some other loading data books. but for now getting some other powders in my area is hard to do.
thanks again and keep shooting
20" BCA heavy barrel upper, 1 in 8 twist, no modification of the upper and fired on a Frankenstein built lower.
Starline brass, CCI 450 small rifle mag primers, 26.7grn AR-COMP under a Hornaday 129gn SST or 130gn Nosler RDF or 129gn Nosler LRAB.
All set to magazine length. (ASC 10 or 25 round 6.5 Grendel magazines)
I got lucky and received my Omega 300 in 87 days, I changed the stock flash hider to a SiCo ASR mount and the darn rifle shot better with the suppressor on the barrel!