05-21-2019, 11:44 PM
Has anybody held both? Seems like the oryx may be a little heavier if you Go with a light luth stock on the lss
Any wisdom?
Any wisdom?
|
MDT lss vs Oryx
|
|
05-21-2019, 11:44 PM
Has anybody held both? Seems like the oryx may be a little heavier if you Go with a light luth stock on the lss
Any wisdom?
05-22-2019, 12:24 PM
Robpiat Wrote:Has anybody held both? Seems like the oryx may be a little heavier if you Go with a light luth stock on the lss What is a MDT Iss and an Oryx? Also, what is a 'light luth' stock? LR55
05-22-2019, 02:09 PM
It's the MDT LSS chassis, and their Oryx single-piece chassis. The Oryx is pretty new; don't know anyone who has it though.
I use an LSS on one of my other bolt rigs, a 243, it's pretty nice IMO. A little short on the for end but ok.
"Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"
Oryx list the chassis at 4.3 pounds. Granted that's everything the MDT lss v1 weights in at around 1.3 pounds. Pistol grip, stock and buffer tube I'd estimate would add up to 2 pounds. That is using my xlr stock for reference. The luth ar should be a little lighter when compared.
If you are trying to go as light as possible, ctr with cheek rest/riser is the lightest combo I've seen.
05-22-2019, 10:17 PM
Personally I think it is a marketing goof by making the oryx so heavy...
"Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"
05-25-2019, 03:52 AM
I have the mini in LSS with folding CTR w/riser, hogue grip and good buttpad. I held the Onyx 2 days ago and 1st thing I thought was how heavy it was. I wanted one right up till I held it. Not my cup of tea for ergo either.
Just my 2 cents discounted to a penny.
05-25-2019, 09:34 PM
Depends on purpose, I guess. Most of my shooting is from a bench, the extra weight of the Oryx is a plus in my book, I'm a little disappointed that the Boyd's Classic I got is only about 2.5 lbs. I really want an Oryx, but just can't justify the cost (yet
!). Later.
05-26-2019, 03:19 AM
Here is mine with a Ruger 6.5 Grendel Predator
[ATTACH=CONFIG]14301[/ATTACH]
05-26-2019, 04:44 PM
LtDan Wrote:Here is mine with a Ruger 6.5 Grendel Predator Very nice! What's it tip the scales at?
05-29-2019, 03:22 AM
Javman Wrote:Very nice! What's it tip the scales at? Right at 10.5 pounds
05-29-2019, 03:57 AM
LtDan Wrote:Here is mine with a Ruger 6.5 Grendel Predator What mag are you useing in that chassis.
05-29-2019, 06:59 PM
That's not a mag that is a single loading sled that I made from Delrin type plastic. That chassis uses a AICS type mag and to date there are no magazines that will work properly with the Grendel cartridge. However the guys at Oryx have contacted me and Iam waiting for a 6br insert for their MDT AICS mag . The current mag insert is only in 12 round and I'm in Commiefornia behind enemy lines and I need a ten round insert so I'm getting a 12 round insert to reduce to 10 to try out.
05-29-2019, 07:08 PM
LtDan Wrote:That's not a mag that is a single loading sled that I made from Delrin type plastic. That chassis uses a AICS type mag and to date there are no magazines that will work properly with the Grendel cartridge. However the guys at Oryx have contacted me and Iam waiting for a 6br insert for their MDT AICS mag . The current mag insert is only in 12 round and I'm in Commiefornia behind enemy lines and I need a ten round insert so I'm getting a 12 round insert to reduce to 10 to try out. Keep us updated on how the mag insert works out. Couple of guys tryed one from primal rights for the aics mags. And they didn't work out too good. Be interesting too see how yours turns out.
06-17-2019, 02:32 PM
Just had my first range day with the Oryx on my 20" Brownells 6.5 Grendel Howa build.
Super comfortable and it held the same group size as my pillar bedded boyds. Very solid. Have to say, I really like the ergonomics on this one. It's a great chassis.
06-19-2019, 05:56 PM
A5BLASTER Wrote:Keep us updated on how the mag insert works out. Couple of guys tryed one from primal rights for the aics mags. And they didn't work out too good. Ok after cajoling MDT about a mag insert because in CA (Commiefornia) we only can have a ten and MDT is making them in 12. So I received the 6BR internal for an MDT 10 round mag which I had to shorten the spacer which is no problem. To make a long story shorter it doesn't work for the Ruger. The taper of the shell causes nose diving. I played with it for 2 days in my shop. What does work is modifying the Ruger RPR 556 AICS mag to fit the Grendel cartridge. I tried everything even to machining a front spacer with a ramp works great for a single round but when they stack it turns the cartridge nose low. As far as the sled it has worked great from the get go. I made that before I ever shot the rifle at the range. I'm 72 and I target shoot from a bench don't want to fix bayonets and charge anymore.
06-19-2019, 10:07 PM
LtDan Wrote:Ok after cajoling MDT about a mag insert because in CA (Commiefornia) we only can have a ten and MDT is making them in 12. So I received the 6BR internal for an MDT 10 round mag which I had to shorten the spacer which is no problem. To make a long story shorter it doesn't work for the Ruger. The taper of the shell causes nose diving. I played with it for 2 days in my shop. What does work is modifying the Ruger RPR 556 AICS mag to fit the Grendel cartridge. I tried everything even to machining a front spacer with a ramp works great for a single round but when they stack it turns the cartridge nose low. As far as the sled it has worked great from the get go. I made that before I ever shot the rifle at the range. I'm 72 and I target shoot from a bench don't want to fix bayonets and charge anymore. So what did you do to modify the rpr 556 aics mags? A5BLASTER Wrote:So what did you do to modify the rpr 556 aics mags? Making the Grendel cartridge fit the Ruger PRP 556 AICS mag is using a large ball tip with a Dremel and carefully open the top of the feed lips so the cartage fits. Also the I had to notch the front of the mag 1/8" and recut the rear 1/8" to get the mag to sit higher and closer to the bolt. There is a lot of room for loading long. The round in the mag is 120 gr SMK at 2.308" which is .010 off the lands on my RAP [ATTACH=CONFIG]14381[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]14382[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]14383[/ATTACH]
06-20-2019, 04:43 PM
LtDan Wrote:Making the Grendel cartridge fit the Ruger PRP 556 AICS mag is using a large ball tip with a Dremel and carefully open the top of the feed lips so the cartage fits. Also the I had to notch the front of the mag 1/8" and recut the rear 1/8" to get the mag to sit higher and closer to the bolt. There is a lot of room for loading long. The round in the mag is 120 gr SMK at 2.308" which is .010 off the lands on my RAP Thanks for the update sir. Now if others want too go this route their is data for them too follow.
06-20-2019, 04:46 PM
LtDan. Forgot to ask. How is the bolt feel? Is it smooth or kind of gritty when you work it?
06-21-2019, 04:21 AM
LtDan Wrote:Ok after cajoling MDT about a mag insert because in CA (Commiefornia) we only can have a ten and MDT is making them in 12. So I received the 6BR internal for an MDT 10 round mag which I had to shorten the spacer which is no problem. To make a long story shorter it doesn't work for the Ruger. The taper of the shell causes nose diving. I played with it for 2 days in my shop. What does work is modifying the Ruger RPR 556 AICS mag to fit the Grendel cartridge. I tried everything even to machining a front spacer with a ramp works great for a single round but when they stack it turns the cartridge nose low. As far as the sled it has worked great from the get go. I made that before I ever shot the rifle at the range. I'm 72 and I target shoot from a bench don't want to fix bayonets and charge anymore. I thought the 10 round mag rule only applied to semi auto. Are they really limiting bolt actions to 10 as well? |
|
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »
|