I was wondering if anyone has made their own upper receiver vice block.if so how did you make it.and do you have building plans for one.
|
Has anyone made their own upper receiver vice block?
|
|
04-24-2019, 02:01 PM
Why? Do you need one?
04-24-2019, 02:39 PM
A5BLASTER Wrote:Why? Do you need one?Is there a way to hold the upper receiver to install a barrel without having to have one?
04-24-2019, 03:50 PM
Kevinohio Wrote:Is there a way to hold the upper receiver to install a barrel without having to have one? Reaction Rod or MagPul Bev Block, but Wheeler Engineering's vice block is probably the cheapest at $30 from Midway. Making one would be more time and effort than its worth unless you have a billet upper.
04-25-2019, 12:32 AM
I just put the barrel in a barrel vice and torque against that. I don't trust that thin aluminum upper with that much torque, vice block or not.
04-25-2019, 03:15 AM
Deep Six Wrote:I just put the barrel in a barrel vice and torque against that. I don't trust that thin aluminum upper with that much torque, vice block or not. It doesn't matter how you do it. Your screwing a threaded part on to a aluminum receiver your going to torque on the aluminum either way. Torque goes both directions when installing a threaded device. OP. Get yourself a bev block and your good to go for barrel and muzzle device installs.
04-25-2019, 04:37 PM
NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO
CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor 6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here: www.AR15buildbox.com
04-26-2019, 12:06 AM
Torque against the steel barrel and not the fragile aluminium upper. Use either a reaction rod or barrel vise depending on what works best with the barrel nut and torque wrench.
I don't even know why I still have that old nylon upper clamp.
04-27-2019, 03:17 PM
Klem Wrote:Torque against the steel barrel and not the fragile aluminium upper. Use either a reaction rod or barrel vise depending on what works best with the barrel nut and torque wrench. What kind of upper clamp do you have? Would you want to part with it.i just need something to hold it for my first build.probably be only build I do.
04-27-2019, 04:07 PM
If you want to pay for shipping and ship it back to me i will lend you mine? What stripped upper do you have?
04-27-2019, 05:54 PM
My upper was a Anderson one.i done got the forward assist.and ejection port dust cover on it already.
You could clamp two blocks of wood together and drill a hole along the seam the diameter of the barrel. Then line the concave mating surfaces with paper towel or thin leather for grip. Poor mans barrel vise.
Like this one. https://modernrifleman.net/2015/03/01/ho...vice-work/ Out of respect for your gun I wouldn't even give you my upper clamp. Clamp that barrel instead. |
|
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »
|
Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

