Posts: 354
Threads: 28
Joined: Apr 2017
I was wanting to do some research on the Barnes 100 grain TTSX and ran across this video on youtube.
I am sure most of you has seen the Multi-Caliber Carbine Analysis - Terminal Effects of Barnes TSX (16" barrel) gel test on youtube. I wish they would have used the Barnes 110 grain instead of the 120 so we could get a better idea of exactly how it lines up against the 6.8 SPC.
I may be biased but the Grendel's performance was pretty impressive. The 6.8 did seem to dump a lot of energy earlier than the Grendel but this could have been due to lower weight projectile and little faster speed. I was also surprised at the Grendel yaw using the Barnes. It was the penetration winner for sure.
Posts: 1,787
Threads: 49
Joined: Feb 2016
Posts: 6,206
Threads: 50
Joined: Mar 2011
This video is probably the one grendelnubi mentioned.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cf4_5S_J6gU
Posts: 2,555
Threads: 383
Joined: Sep 2013
Based on the video VASCAR2 shows, the Barnes 120 doesn't seem to do all that well. It failed to open fully in bare gel.
Quote:I am sure most of you has seen the Multi-Caliber Carbine Analysis - Terminal Effects of Barnes TSX (16" barrel) gel test on youtube. I wish they would have used the Barnes 110 grain instead of the 120 so we could get a better idea of exactly how it lines up against the 6.8 SPC.
No, I have not. Not sure what you are talking about. However I did search for it. It is here...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BROdbEm5wqA
Quote:I may be biased but the Grendel's performance was pretty impressive. The 6.8 did seem to dump a lot of energy earlier than the Grendel but this could have been due to lower weight projectile and little faster speed. I was also surprised at the Grendel yaw using the Barnes. It was the penetration winner for sure.
Note that the differences you see between to very similar calibers is likely due to several things and not just the caliber. Bullet construction is not universally the same between calibers, despite being the same bullet. In the bare gel, the Barnes opened up more than the Grendel bullet. The Beowulf was dumping energy even faster despite being slower. It also opened up better. The 6.8 was undoubtedly faster, particularly given that the Grendel was loaded by Alexander Arms (which loads on the slow side). The Grendel in this case and generally speaking has a higher sectional density than the 6.8 and so has the potential for better penetration, all other factors being equal. Yawing is simply a matter of lost stability, in part due to the lack of opening and a heavier tail end.
Generally speaking, the TSX bullets did not seem to do all that well with either 6.8 or Grendel. I would have expected to see both fully opened in the bare gel test before exiting the gel. Only opening partially is indicative of not fully functioning at the velocities fired in the medium being tested. If the gel test is supposed to be representative of how the bullet will perform in animal tissue, then neither did that well.