Posts: 23
Threads: 3
Joined: Dec 2018
Interested in what members of The Horde use when they are sighting in or shooting groups with their rifles. Do you all use sand bags or some sort of fabricated rest or some other means? I have both a set of bags and a metal sight-in rest. I kinda like the bags better myself. What does everybody else think?
Uva Uvam Vivendo Varia Fit!
Posts: 4,287
Threads: 156
Joined: Jan 2017
I use a rock jr bench rest (front) and various bags/sand rest under the rear depending on the shape of the stock, all from a solid bench, 100 yds.
"Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"
Posts: 6,193
Threads: 170
Joined: Mar 2015
Caldwell bags front and rear.
Posts: 568
Threads: 44
Joined: Jun 2016
Caldwell bags front and rear from bench. Bipod from prone.
Posts: 209
Threads: 10
Joined: Sep 2018
Bipod is all I use on my AR rifles. Bolt guns I use a MTM rest that works well.
Posts: 2,555
Threads: 383
Joined: Sep 2013
We use sandbags. At my place, we actually have a large ammo can next to the shooting table in which the sandbags reside. They have been there for 10 years or so.
Let's face it. I need all the help I can get.
Posts: 243
Threads: 13
Joined: May 2014
An old Protektor rear bag I've had since about 1980 and a bipod in the front.
http://protektormodel.com/index.php?main...ucts_id=13
Posts: 104
Threads: 5
Joined: Nov 2018
I have been using my Tipton vise but then I don't have any good sandbags so .
Posts: 217
Threads: 12
Joined: Jun 2016
For anything needing accuracy the caldwell heavy bags front and rear. Prone bipod, hunting usually sticks but depends on terrain
Posts: 23
Threads: 3
Joined: Dec 2018
I need to try some of those heavy bags sometime.
Uva Uvam Vivendo Varia Fit!
Posts: 560
Threads: 18
Joined: Jan 2018
I just start using the Caldwell tack driver 4 sided bag this year, love it with a soft rear bag. I shoot at a couple different ranges that have different style benches, and this gives me good support and flexibility to set up on the different benches. Just be sure the muzzle device is way clear of the bag.
I have a bipod, shooting sticks, small bags, and prefer this setup for load development and accuracy testing.
Posts: 145
Threads: 20
Joined: Nov 2018
12-27-2018, 02:26 AM
(This post was last modified: 12-27-2018, 02:45 AM by GREYBUFF.)
I just built a great adjustable front rest made from a car scissors jack with a 1" dia. X 5" pipe weled to the top of the jack (in-line with the screw) and covered with a piece of swimming pool noodle. The rest is adjustable from 5" up to about 12". Sandbag for the rear. I have over the years fabricated several different front rests and this one is by far the most adjustable and stable.
Posts: 23
Threads: 3
Joined: Dec 2018
GREYBUFF Wrote:I just built a great adjustable front rest made from a car scissors jack with a 1" dia. X 5" pipe weled to the top of the jack (in-line with the screw) and covered with a piece of swimming pool noodle. The rest is adjustable from 2" up to about 10". Sandbag for the rear. I have over the years fabricated several different front rests and this one is by far the most adjustable and stable.
Sounds highly useful. Cool idea.
Uva Uvam Vivendo Varia Fit!
Posts: 145
Threads: 20
Joined: Nov 2018
If I knew how to post a picture I would do so.
Posts: 1,936
Threads: 48
Joined: Dec 2016
Bipod front, home made bag for the rear. I can not shoot off a bench, and where I shoot the most there are no benches. Prone for me. Working on being like DNS and sit rock steady off of a tripod or sticks.
Sticks
Catchy sig line here.
Posts: 1,936
Threads: 48
Joined: Dec 2016
GREYBUFF Wrote:If I knew how to post a picture I would do so.
http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showthrea...t-pictures
Sticks
Catchy sig line here.
Posts: 2,555
Threads: 383
Joined: Sep 2013
GREYBUFF Wrote:I just built a great adjustable front rest made from a car scissors jack with a 1" dia. X 5" pipe weled to the top of the jack (in-line with the screw) and covered with a piece of swimming pool noodle. The rest is adjustable from 5" up to about 12". Sandbag for the rear. I have over the years fabricated several different front rests and this one is by far the most adjustable and stable.
Cool.
Posts: 1,973
Threads: 28
Joined: Mar 2017
GREYBUFF Wrote:I just built a great adjustable front rest made from a car scissors jack with a 1" dia. X 5" pipe weled to the top of the jack (in-line with the screw) and covered with a piece of swimming pool noodle. The rest is adjustable from 5" up to about 12". Sandbag for the rear. I have over the years fabricated several different front rests and this one is by far the most adjustable and stable.
I just cut and pasted your description to a text file for future consideration. Great idea. Toyota scissor jack? Smallest size?
Posts: 1,973
Threads: 28
Joined: Mar 2017
I use the Caldwell Lead Sled. Very steady.
I did buy a Caldwell shooting bag to compare POI between rests but did not try it yet.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/394466...oting-rest
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/264776...n-unfilled
I filled the bag with wood pellets from the pellet stove. It hasn't gotten wet yet.
Posts: 175
Threads: 14
Joined: Jul 2018
I use a Caldwell front rest The Rock and a rear bag. Sometimes it s a triangle bag, other times a flat bag or round bag. Trying to see which one I like better! I do have harris and caldwell bi pods, but I prefer the Rock front rest. Easier to adjust elevation on it.