Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
16" AA barrel build
#1
New guy here... picked up a new 16" AA 6.5G barrel and JP bolt off another board. Barrel looks nice, I'm looking forward to the completed project.

Been looking hard at the 6.5G for a while... was either going to do a 6.8 build or 6.5 and this barrel made the decision for me.

I have two 6.8 builds already that shoot very well (Bison 18" and WOA 18") so this new cartridge is exciting.

I'd be interested in some first-hand comments on the AA barrel from those who have built a rifle with one. Performance, pet loads, what you found the barrel liked and did not like.

I'm experienced in loading, been doing the 6x45 and .30HRT for years. This is being built specifically for night hunting with PVS-14's and IR laser.

Thanks!
Reply
#2
I have the 16" AA barrel. Its a shooter. I don't think you will be disappointed one bit.
Reply
#3
I have had very good success with factory loads (Hornady 123 SST) and my own hand loads.(123 gr SST over 31 gr of CFE)
Reply
#4
Like mine. I don't think you'll be disappointed. Mine has run flawlessly with Wolf steel and factory Hornady SST. The Wolf Gold 120 MPT sometimes would hang up but I'm sure it's the tip getting caught on the feed ramps. On my list of things to do is blend and polish them.

I'm using a nitrided PF BCG and SLR adjustable gas block.

SST's are about .75 MOA. They all combined to put meat in my freezer last fall.
Reply
#5
Got the barrel and Seekins rail/gas block put together... waiting on the PF NOX FS to arrive tonight vis UPS, he usually shows about this time.

Loaded 1 round of Hornady 123 A-Max in the ACS magazine, inserted in the rifle with bolt locked back. Released the bolt, round chambered as normal. Extracted as normal. Repeated the process and fired the round, bolt locked back as it should.

Loaded 2 rounds, repeated the above and it functioned as it should. No GB adjustments needed, ejection was at 3:00/3:30, no unusual marks on brass. Very happy. Can't wait to hit the range for performance testing. Pics to follow...
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)