Posts: 6
Threads: 3
Joined: Oct 2014
I have enjoyed shooting the Grendel for quite some time. I have a Sabre Defense 20" upper that I use for hunting and have taken multiple deer, pigs, and yotes with it. I reload and normally shoot 100 gr NBT and Partitions. I wanted to build a grendel that was quite a bit lighter with just irons and maybe a red dot for general use, home protection etc. I have never built an Ar-15 from the ground up.
I am starting to gather parts. I ordered a billet upper and lower Spartan-15 from Joe Bob's a couple of years ago. I also ordered an 18" barrel from Brownell's at the same time. Since then I have read about all the trouble with that barrel being over gassed because of the large gas port. I have read that I will need an adjustable gas block and heavy buffer and would like recommendations. I am planning on using a ACS-L stock and a MI gen 2 SS 15" rail. I also purchased a BCG from Palmetto when they were on sale. It is a Full Auto Nickel Boron. I think this is a heavier BCG and might help with the over gassing. I would like your suggestions on which gas block I need and which buffer will work. I am trying to keep it as light as I can. Any other suggestions on parts would also be appreciated. Thank you.
Posts: 6,193
Threads: 170
Joined: Mar 2015
JP, SLR are the top brands in my mind, I use the JP split yoke micro adjustable gas block myself and it is a very good part as far as looks and function.
If you are going to use a adjustable gas block to tame overgassing I don't think you need to use heavier internal parts i.e. buffer and bcg.
Ushering the block to cut the gas down will help with being able to run lighter buffer and bcg.
And if your wanting a very light rifle then it's best to use all light weight parts, a billet upper and lower will be heavyer then a standard forged set, so you could save some weight by changing from a billet set to forged set.
You could also save some weight by useing a handgaurd that's shorter and doesn't have any rails built in or you can go very light and use carbon fiber handgaurd.
Also you can save more weight by useing a shorter barrel or a barrel with a lighter profile, like the 18 inch barrel made by JP.
At the end of the day you can build a super light gun but the lighter you go the price will come up as well so you have to take that into account as well.
Hope this info helps you in some way sir.
Posts: 6,206
Threads: 50
Joined: Mar 2011
You might want to measure the gas port on your Brownell's barrel. A Friend of mine bought an 18" Brownell's last year and used a non adjustable gas block with a commercial carbine buffer tube, carbine buffer and carbine recoil spring. Suprisingly this build is not over gassed. It's possible Brownell has specified a smaller gas port. If your going to use a suppressor then I'd definitely put an adjustable gas block on it.
Whichever route you go just make sure the gas block will fit inside your MI 15" hand guard.
Posts: 6
Threads: 3
Joined: Oct 2014
Thanks for the replies. Vascar2----The barrel does have the larger port, I measured it already. A5Blaster----I realize that The parts I have already are not lightweight, but I am stuck with them. When I bought them I was thinking about building another scoped hunter. I decided I would rather have a relatively light rifle with iron sights for plinking and self defense. That's why I was thinking about a long rail, to get my front sight as far out as possible. I just want to keep the parts I purchase from now on to be as light as possible. Is there another rail out there that would work better for what I am doing? I am also trying to decide on a nice trigger. The trigger I have on my other rifles are just RRA NM, and I have not tried any others. On the trigger I wanted to keep it under $150. Any thoughts?
Thanks,
Chuck
Posts: 6,193
Threads: 170
Joined: Mar 2015
Not sure on what other rails might be lighter, I use the seekins sp3rv3 myself and it's weight is fine for me but others would know better on what rails compare to others.
As far as triggers I started with the RRANM trigger and thought it was a good trigger then upgraded to the SSA-E and wow is the best way to describe the diffrence, not sure what they are going for right now but anything made by gissele is top self.
Posts: 590
Threads: 43
Joined: Mar 2013
ChuckK Wrote:Thanks for the replies. Vascar2----The barrel does have the larger port, I measured it already. A5Blaster----I realize that The parts I have already are not lightweight, but I am stuck with them. When I bought them I was thinking about building another scoped hunter. I decided I would rather have a relatively light rifle with iron sights for plinking and self defense. That's why I was thinking about a long rail, to get my front sight as far out as possible. I just want to keep the parts I purchase from now on to be as light as possible. Is there another rail out there that would work better for what I am doing? I am also trying to decide on a nice trigger. The trigger I have on my other rifles are just RRA NM, and I have not tried any others. On the trigger I wanted to keep it under $150. Any thoughts?
Thanks,
Chuck
Chuck, you on a budget???
http://slrrifleworks.com/index.php?route...57_125_169
http://rhinorifles.com/product/tactical-...handguard/
I have nothing but good things to say about SLR regarding their customer service, and function/performance. I just put a titanium block on my last upper, and damn if it isn't light! I don't know if its really necessary, but what they hell....
On that same build i put a Lancer handguard on, which is very similar to the rhino's, but i think the rhino's attachment is superior, from what i can tell. Also it offers mlok or keymod attachment. I would buy one of those if i had to do over again....
But again.....how much cash you looking to throw around.....
Posts: 8,507
Threads: 241
Joined: Sep 2014
I have seen it work both ways with the 18" MLGS barrels from Brownell's and Midway. Some of them need to be choked at the gas port, while others work just fine.
Some of the ones I've seen work were shot in really cold weather, so that could explain part of it, but you really need a .076" port on a MLGS 18", not a .094" port.
NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO
CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor
6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:
www.AR15buildbox.com
Posts: 6
Threads: 3
Joined: Oct 2014
02-14-2017, 05:33 PM
(This post was last modified: 02-14-2017, 07:09 PM by ChuckK.)
Keystone183---That titanium SLR gas block looks good. I was going to try to limit my spending to about $1000.00 not including the parts I have. I am just going to have to buy items a piece at a time, don't want the wife getting suspicious. LRRPF52----What can I do to improve the functioning of my MLGS since I do have the .094" port?
Posts: 251
Threads: 36
Joined: Dec 2016
OdinWorks has a Tunable Low Profile Gas Block for $54.00
Posts: 8,507
Threads: 241
Joined: Sep 2014
ChuckK Wrote:Keystone183---That titanium SLR gas block looks good. I was going to try to limit my spending to about $1000.00 not including the parts I have. I am just going to have to buy items a piece at a time, don't want the wife getting suspicious. LRRPF52----What can I do to improve the functioning of my MLGS since I do have the .094" port? Choke it and buffer it heavily for rate reduction.
A .094" gas port on MLGS allows too much gas to flood the inside of the carrier too quickly, causing too early carrier inertia, which causes too early unlocking.
You'll often see belted cases come out, and increased wear on the bolt and extractor, even in 5.56/.223 Rem.
NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO
CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor
6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:
www.AR15buildbox.com
|