Posts: 29
Threads: 8
Joined: Jan 2017
My current 20" Grendel is a Red X Arms upper with a Stainless 1/8.5 twist. Shooting the 123 grn Hornady AMAX I'm capable of 1.5 inch or better groups at 100 yrds. when I'm on my game( The gun is better than me. lol) And that round seems just right for whitetail so far. Drops 'em like a stone.
So I recently got an upper and BC from my brother and decided to do a Grendel build. I chose to get a Saturn 24" with the 1/8 twist from Brownells.
I'm hoping to hunt hogs with this thing and to use a heavier bullet weight than the 123 grain AMAX.
With this barrel length and twist rate what would be the optimum projectile weight for accuracy and delivering a knockdown punch to a central Texas hog?
Thanks-
Posts: 6,206
Threads: 50
Joined: Mar 2011
01-17-2017, 01:22 PM
(This post was last modified: 01-18-2017, 09:50 AM by VASCAR2.)
From everthing I've read the 123 grain A-Max and SST are very effective on hogs. If you desire more penetration you could use 110 or 120 grain Barnes TTSX. Federal is supposedly going to release a 120 grain Fusion bonded bullet in 6.5 Grendel, pretty good indication 120 grain class bullets work. Unless your hunting from a blind or stand I'd choose the 18" 6.5 Grendel from Brownell's over the 24" 6.5 Grendel. The 18" 6.5 Grendel will have sufficient velocity to open projectiles out to 350 yards plus depending on particular bullet and elevation.
If you still want a heavier factory load Alexander Arms used to sell a 130 grain Swift Sicirocco factory hunting load. Alexander Arms also sell a factory load with the 129 grain SST.
http://www.shopalexanderarms.com/Ammunit...o_box.html
Posts: 783
Threads: 65
Joined: Apr 2012
If you don't mind carrying the 24" barrel, it will open up a number of opportunities to shoot heavier weight lead-free projectiles.
See
http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showthrea....5-Grendel
Posts: 713
Threads: 42
Joined: Feb 2014
24 inch barrel is a heavy one. 16 and 18 inch barrels for hog work fine. What it is to be young!!!

BANG BANG!!
Posts: 29
Threads: 8
Joined: Jan 2017
VASCAR2 Wrote:If you still want a heavier factory load Alexander Arms used to sell a 130 grain Swift Sicirocco factory hunting load. Alexander Arms also sell a factory load with the 129 grain SST.
http://www.shopalexanderarms.com/Ammunit...o_box.html
Yeah, I was looking at those as likely being my best bet. anything heavier and I'm going to have to load it myself and I'm not there yet (I have too many hobbies) I think I'll give these a try and see how they go.
Posts: 29
Threads: 8
Joined: Jan 2017
rickOshay Wrote:If you don't mind carrying the 24" barrel, it will open up a number of opportunities to shoot heavier weight lead-free projectiles.
See http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showthrea....5-Grendel
Cool, thanks for the link
Posts: 70
Threads: 3
Joined: Dec 2016
This is what you want. Berger 6.5mm 140 Gr Elite Hunter
http://buybergerbullets.3dcartstores.com...p_269.html
Posts: 15
Threads: 2
Joined: Sep 2016
rickOshay Wrote:If you don't mind carrying the 24" barrel, it will open up a number of opportunities to shoot heavier weight lead-free projectiles.
See http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showthrea....5-Grendel
I built a 24 in with a heavy PRS stock and carried it for deer. Hiked miles up and down mountains and it was pretty rough. Love the rifle but for a hunter I would probably go shorter. You can dl plenty of calculators to put in distance, velocity, weight and bc and it will tell you the energy at impact so you can know if it will kill cleanly at distances.
Posts: 8,507
Threads: 241
Joined: Sep 2014
jcjarmon Wrote:This is what you want. Berger 6.5mm 140 Gr Elite Hunter
http://buybergerbullets.3dcartstores.com...p_269.html
Those are a bit long.
We usually stay with bullets that aren't much longer than 1.300". You can get away with it though, but you will often have a lot of powder column intrusion by the tail of the projectile.
NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO
CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor
6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:
www.AR15buildbox.com