12-18-2016, 12:11 AM
Can I build a better lightweight hunting upper that costs less than the Alexander arms 18" light upper?
|
Budget minded "lightweight " complete upper recomendations.
|
|
12-18-2016, 12:11 AM
Can I build a better lightweight hunting upper that costs less than the Alexander arms 18" light upper?
12-18-2016, 12:26 AM
It'll be tough. They can get way better pricing on components than we can.
That said, if you build your own, you can get exactly the handguard, etc. that you want.
12-18-2016, 12:34 AM
Thanks, I just want a real accurate lightweight hunting upper in 18" length . I really like their light hunter upper but it's out of my price range.wish I could find out the difference between the 18" hunter upper and the 18" light upper.
12-18-2016, 12:12 PM
Any reason it has to be 18"? The 16" from Alexander Arms costs less. When i started shopping for my grendel i thought i could build one for less then Alexander Arms but i ended up spending twice the money.
12-18-2016, 02:57 PM
Bigs28 Wrote:Any reason it has to be 18"? The 16" from Alexander Arms costs less. When i started shopping for my grendel i thought i could build one for less then Alexander Arms but i ended up spending twice the money. Will I lose any accuracy out to 600 yds?
12-18-2016, 03:36 PM
The difference between 16" and 18" 6.5 Grendel is about 50 FPS. Barrel length usually does not equate to accuracy. Either 16" or 18" will keep a 123 grain bullet supersonic past 900 yards even at sea level. The shorter the barrel means less muzzle velocity which can affect the bullets on target effectiveness. If a bullet needs a minimum of 1800 FPS to expand then the effective range for an 18" barrel will be slightly longer than a 16" barrel.
I was really wanting to test the Faxon 1:8 twist QPQ barrels and bought a 16" off the group buy to build a light weight 6.5 Grendel. My 16" Faxon weighs 6.4 pounds empty with no scope or mag. Here is a list of my components as I was trying to build a cheaper 6.5 Grendel. Prices include shipping and tax. Faxon 16" barrel. $205 Precision Firearms 6.5 Grendel BCG on sale $187.36 Anderson stripped upper. ( $60 plus $8 shipping ) $68 Rousch Sports 10" keymod Hand guard. $59.98 Rousch Sports midlength gas tube. $15 Rousch Sports Charging handle. $12.23 Brownell's foreward assist. $16 DPMS port door cover. $5 Black Rain .750 gas block. $49 A-2 Flash Hider $12.47 Upper Total $630.04
12-18-2016, 07:07 PM
Jbjayzon Wrote:Will I lose any accuracy out to 600 yds? It depends on your expectations Just.realize in the pursuit of.accuracy the barrel is the most important component. Trigger is next. You can do all kinds.of accurizing tricks but if that barrel is not up to snuff all is for naught
12-18-2016, 07:49 PM
Rickc Wrote:It depends on your expectations OK then, thanks for the input guys, so with this great info I guess my deciding question is will the AA 16" light upper barrel perform well out to 600 yes provided I invest in a quality trigger and do my part?? Thanks again everyone!
12-18-2016, 07:55 PM
I already have the following parts, Anderson lower, minimalist stock, Daniel defense grip and vortex hst 6-24X50 optic. I also have a rockriver arms 2 stage national match trigger,but I am considering upgrading that.
12-18-2016, 10:05 PM
Go look up lrrp52 posts. He has a AA 16" barreled upper that has impressed him at just over a 1000 yds. He is up in elevation so 600 at sea level shouldn't be too big a problem.
I've not had a chance to shoot mine past 200 yds but at that it showed good potential.
Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.
Mark Twain http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showthrea...-Whitetail
12-27-2016, 07:17 AM
Only question is why would you want to upgrade the RR Nat match trigger? They have a good rep and mine works just fine. Would not really recommend going lighter on pull in a hunting rifle. Anything significantly better will cost half of vascar's rifle.
Queen of Battle
Follow Me Life NRA, DAV ,VFW, SASS
12-27-2016, 02:06 PM
From my experience with the RR NM trigger it leaves some performance on the table. My G-SSA has a heavier first stage/lighter second vs the opposite in the RR.
I'm waiting on a Larue MBT but it will be a while due to the volume of orders around Black Friday.
12-27-2016, 10:19 PM
I ordered my larue mbt on black Friday for the $99 wait a while price and received it 2 weeks ago.
|
|
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »
|