FTF 50% of the time or more...
#1
Bah humbug.

First: it's a 24" Saturn\Brownells barrel,rifle length gas, STD m16 bcg and buffer.
Shooting both factory hornady SST 123 gr and ppu 110gr along side my ownloads, more than 50% of my rounds are having to be hand fed into the chamber. Failure to feed, tisk tisk.

Any pointers? Have I given enough information?
Thanks for your time,Pete.
Reply
#2
You didn't say what mags? My first thought. . . .
:: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::
Reply
#3
How are they getting hung up? A picture of the malfunction would be helpful. Take a look at your feedramps to make sure they're lined up with your receiver and that you have the proper feedramp type between your upper receiver and your barrel extension.

BFT is right though, magazines are a common culprit to feeding issues.
Reply
#4
The feed ramps do line up and are polished. I dont have a pic of the feed issue. But the mags are a ASC and a C products defense.
Reply
#5
Sounds under gassed, are you sure the gas block is centered over the gas port. What buffer tube are you using Rifle or carbine and what buffer?
Reply
#6
I had FTF problems that got fixed by replacing the extractor spring with an enhanced version...

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-Extra...ring-3.htm
Reply
#7
pistolpeta Wrote:Bah humbug.

First: it's a 24" Saturn\Brownells barrel,rifle length gas, STD m16 bcg and buffer.
Shooting both factory hornady SST 123 gr and ppu 110gr along side my ownloads, more than 50% of my rounds are having to be hand fed into the chamber. Failure to feed, tisk tisk.

Any pointers? Have I given enough information?
Thanks for your time,Pete.

Lube heavily on breakin. A dry bolt carrier won't run.

Check your gas block alignment. Plug the breach end of the barrel, pull the bolt carrier and take can of compressed air seal the muzzle around the compressed air.tube and see what kind of flow you get from the gas tube. Might take 2 people.
Reply
#8
So It looks like it wasnt aligned. I had it roughly straight on but not on enough.
On most of my other AR jobs If I didnt leave a small gap between the gas block and the shoulder(where the handguard cap would normally reside) it wouldnt be centered over the gas port, but not this time!

Its also a rifle length buffer and spring.


[Image: wvo6mx.jpg]
[Image: cov9e.jpg]
Reply
#9
Would it lock the bolt back on the last shot?
What bcg are you using?

I had 2 similar issues with a 20" bbl, rifle gas, and A2 extension.
Edit: Ahh I see its a 24" now, hmmm
It turned out to be 2 causes as well.

1. ASC mag followers were to lose to lock the bolt back in time.
Switched to AA and never looked back.

2. My bcg was defintely short stroking. I dont remember your bbl length while typing this but a rifle gas system will give you relatively less dwell time versus intermediate. This was in my case. I got a jig to make sure my gas block was centered, which it was. So then I played with the buffer weight, spring and carrier. Ended up with a light bolt carrier, reduced weight spring, and JP light buffer for the A2 extension.


Now I didnt have a bunch of FTF after I broke my rifle in but maybe play with your buffers, or throw the upper in a different lower and try it once you get the block centered.

pistolpeta Wrote:So It looks like it wasnt aligned. I had it roughly straight on but not on enough.
On most of my other AR jobs If I didnt leave a small gap between the gas block and the shoulder(where the handguard cap would normally reside) it wouldnt be centered over the gas port, but not this time!

Its also a rifle length buffer and spring.


[Image: wvo6mx.jpg]
[Image: cov9e.jpg]
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)