Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
ar tools ?
#1
what tool do you guys like for removing the barrel nut ?

Ed
Reply
#2
The Brownells brand AR tool.
http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-...ke_3=AR-15
Reply
#3
I would just get a good wrench and a reaction/extension rod and some of the proper punches.
. (http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-...ke_3=AR-15)
The plastic clam shells do not fit many of the billet uppers, I have not used the clam shell in years. The reaction rod works great, as long
as you have a good vise to use.
Reply
#4
ended up with a pri wrench, changed out my handguard today with it works great.it is heavy duty.

Ed
Reply
#5
I bought the crappy wheeler AR combo tool and torque wrench when I first started. It is junk

Now I have a quality torque wrench and I too found the PRI barrel nut wrench. Quality tool. Works great.

http://www.midwayusa.com/Product/123930/...ench-ar-15
Reply
#6
If your into AR's just buy once from Brownells and cry once. If your in Arizona I can even let you borrow mine.
Reply
#7
Great question, Ed. I've been working on ARs for about 4 years now and I've never been satisfied with my receiver clamshell. I'm seriously considering dropping the coin on a Geissele Reaction Rod this coming Black Friday. At first blush it seems like a lot of money for what it is yet it seems to be getting good reviews.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Tc7tOQ_UHo

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2013/...5x390-jpg/
Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?
Reply
#8
I have one. Great tool.
Reply
#9
Wow fly guy I do live in AZ but my nieces husband had an upper block that fit top and bottom of the receiver that worked just fine for installing the barrel and the flash hider. I am considering buying him the Brownell rod for Xmas.
Reply
#10
diddlyv Wrote:Wow fly guy I do live in AZ but my nieces husband had an upper block that fit top and bottom of the receiver that worked just fine for installing the barrel and the flash hider. I am considering buying him the Brownell rod for Xmas.

Don't use a clam shell or receiver block or reaction rod installing a flash hider. Use a barrel clamp.
Reply
#11
Rickc Wrote:Don't use a reaction rod installing a flash hider. Use a barrel clamp.

May I ask why?
Reply
#12
Rickc Wrote:Don't use a reaction rod installing a flash hider. Use a barrel clamp.

Lakeray Wrote:May I ask why?

Because you are now placing torque on the barrel and barrel extension, not just the barrel.

Anytime you're doing muzzle device work, clamp the barrel only, never the upper receiver.

A common principle in tool use/applied physics, is to isolate the work to the parts being worked on, without introducing other components into the mix.
NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com
Reply
#13
Are there any vises that don't require bolting to a workbench (and punching holes in it) but instead use a clamp style to tighten the fit to the table?
Reply
#14
Mindreader1 Wrote:Are there any vises that don't require bolting to a workbench (and punching holes in it) but instead use a clamp style to tighten the fit to the table?

you are speaking of a barrel vice right? this is the one I use. I have a black & decker workmate that I clamp it to. couple of C clamps is all it takes. I have a savage switchbarrel and change them around quite often. I wrap my barrel with a leather strap to protect it and give a better grip. they do make wooden vice blocks that will do the same.

I am sure someone will chime in with a homemade one in a minute. Nothing wrong with that either. I like mine because it is pretty.



http://www.pmatool.com/barrel-vise-by-viper/
Reply
#15
Mindreader1 Wrote:Are there any vises that don't require bolting to a workbench (and punching holes in it) but instead use a clamp style to tighten the fit to the table?

Yes, I have no experience with them so I don't know how well they work, but I don't see why they wouldn't.

This one is pretty cheap and it's big enough to work on an AR. Just make sure your bench is solid.

https://www.amazon.com/IRWIN-Clamp-On-Vi...B0001LQY44
Reply
#16
Take an appropriate sized piece of wood that is thick enough to provide proper strength, mount your vice to it and then use wood clamps to mount it to your bench. Remove and store when not in use.
Reply
#17
You're going to have to clamp it somehow. C-clamps will work if you don't have a bench vise.

You can use a dedicated barrel vise like this with C-clamps;
[Image: p_749006352_4.jpg]

Or a set of barrel clamps (cheaper) in a normal bench vise like this;
[Image: l_795015100_1.jpg]

Or, for one-off type fits then two blocks of wood drilled down the seam and used in a normal bench vise will work, like this;
[Image: IMG_0047.jpg]
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)