Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Another Lightweight Hunter
#1
[ATTACH=CONFIG]7176[/ATTACH]

You've got to love the modularity of the AR platform. I've got about $300 in this build including an AA 16" lightweight barrel, new mid-length gas tube, Yankee Hill Machine clamp-on gas block, and VLTOR flash hider. To be fair, maybe it's $380, since I had to use my spare Grendel bolt.

I swapped out the barrel on my original AR, a Stag Model 3 and lapped the receiver. Pulled the Troy Alpha mid-length handguard off of my first 5.56 build, and grabbed a Redfield 4-12 off of my muzzle loader. Without the sling, scope and mount, the bathroom scale shows 6 lb even. It beats the heck out of lugging a 20" bull barrel through the woods.

I'm cautiously optimistic on the accuracy, in that I had several 3/8" to 1/2" pairs while zeroing the scope. We'll see what it does for 3 to 5 shot groups after deer season is over. The lower has a stock trigger that I've trimmed the trigger spring on and used the set screw to reduce the amount of creep.

The deer aren't cooperating yet. I've only seen a yearling doe just wasn't big enough and some at 400 yards that I wasn't ready to attempt. That said, we did the same thing for a buddy and he shot 2 does with his one afternoon (another happy Grendel convert). Either he's got a better lease, or he's just better at this game than I am.
Reply
#2
I agree . I built a few out of left over parts .
Reply
#3
Lookin' good!
:: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)