dented case mouths
#1
All of my case mouths are dented upon ejection. 20 rounds, new build, Wolf Gold 120.
Overgas issue?

BHW 20 inch barrel w/bolt, rifle length gas system, non adjustable gas block. Aero precision upper receiver.

Ejecting to about 4 oclock,
Reply
#2
With 4 O'Clock ejection and 20 inch BHW barrel I doubt it is over gassed. If the dented brass bothers you a lot of guys put a soft piece of velcro on the brass deflector. Maybe someone else will chime in with the same barrel but most of my brass from my 16" 6.5 Grendel gets beat up pretty good. I have some Hornady brass I've loaded five times without issue.
Reply
#3
I took 1 1/2 coils off my ejector spring, radiused the ejector and no more dented mouths. Velcro for a non-surgical approach.
Reply
#4
The dent doesnt bother me, My buddies Tavor does it, and ive loaded plenty of his spent brass. Was just curious of the cause. Still learning the intracasies of the AR platform.
Reply
#5
I had the same problem with one of my rifles. An adjustable gas block and heavier buffer didn't fix it for me. I had to clip two coils off the ejector spring, same as NugginFutz. It hasn't been a problem since.

If you don't address the cause or the symptom, it will shorten brass life because you will be overworking the brass every time you shoot and resize.
Reply
#6
VASCAR2 Wrote:a soft piece of velcro on the brass deflector.

That works for a very easy fix. I actually used a piece of felt pad cut to match the shape of the deflector. Works perfectly. I have a 24" barrel with rifle length gas system, non-adjustable gas block. Also used the same solution on my 5.56 uppers. And, most of the time, I have Caldwell's brass catcher installed, so my brass doesn't get dinged or scratch hitting the ground, either. http://www.midwayusa.com/product/779085/...mesh-black
My "6.5" = 24" AA Overwatch upper 1/9 twist, NC based US Tactical lower, standard A4 6 position stock, AR Gold Trigger, JPS SCS buffer, Vortex 6-24 x 50 FFP PST with EBR-2C MOA reticle
Reply
#7
Could trimming the ejector spring cause reliability issues in the future? I understand any spring will weaken with use, wondering about how much useable life will be lost. Not that this one will ever see 10,000 rounds. Can anyone link a guide, or reference to radiusing the ejector? just so i understand the concept a little better.
Reply
#8
dieselmudder Wrote:Could trimming the ejector spring cause reliability issues in the future? I understand any spring will weaken with use, wondering about how much useable life will be lost. Not that this one will ever see 10,000 rounds. Can anyone link a guide, or reference to radiusing the ejector? just so i understand the concept a little better.

Here's one of the better examples of ejector spring tuning, complete with twenty seven eight-by-ten color glossy pictures with circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back of each one.
Keep in mind that the spring is the same as the safety detent spring, found in the pistol grip. There's your spare, just in case you over do the mod.

http://www.gswagner.com/arejector/arejector.html

And here's a link to a picture of a typical radiused ejector.

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showthrea...#post98047
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)