Posts: 184
Threads: 8
Joined: Dec 2011
11-01-2014, 10:03 PM
(This post was last modified: 11-02-2014, 05:00 AM by aclark.)
Just was looking through my first lot of brass and found a couple things I'm not sure about.
First you can see below that one side of the neck flattened out. What does this mean? Happened on 18 of 20 rounds fired.
I also see some marks on the case rim, which I'm assuming are extractor marks. Going to try to find a write up on rounding that out, no biggie I hope. But i do see 2 lines scraped down the side of each piece of brass. Seems to be even with the ejector marks. At first I though it was maybe the bolt scraping the top of the next round, but not sure. Its hard to see, but I tried to get a good shot.
Rifle shot great, just want to make sure these aren't signs of something major. This is the first build I've done completely 100% on my own, so I want to keep everything safe.
Posts: 667
Threads: 19
Joined: Mar 2011
The pictures aren't really clear. Flat necks are probably from hitting the deflector. If the extractor has sharp edges they will gouge the hell out of the rims. Those long marks down the case are probably from the sharp edges on the inside of the feed lips of the magazine. One thing I don't see in the pictures are the gouges in the neck from barrel extension lugs. The other thing I don't see in the pictures are the pictures.
Posts: 184
Threads: 8
Joined: Dec 2011
Whoops, moved them around in the albums on my photobucket account, and it seems they were cached for me in the post. Sorry, fixed now
Posts: 4,444
Threads: 97
Joined: Mar 2011
Lol! Rasp65 nailed them without the pictures!
You seek escape from pain. We seek the achievement of happiness. You exist for the sake of avoiding punishment. We exist for the sake of earning rewards. Threats will not make us function; fear is not our incentive. It is not death that we wish to avoid, but life that we wish to live. - John Galt
Posts: 184
Threads: 8
Joined: Dec 2011
So nothing to worry about really? Just resize the necks when I reload and I should be good?
Posts: 2,075
Threads: 35
Joined: Mar 2011
11-02-2014, 03:18 PM
(This post was last modified: 11-02-2014, 03:21 PM by txgunner00.)
Nothing to worry about really. Just a few of the quirks of the Grendel.
A "fix" for the bent necks is stick some sort of cushion on the face of the deflector. Most common material used is a piece of adhesive backed Velcro, loop side. Other fix is get an upper without a deflector.
The extractor bites can be fixed by polishing off the corners of the extractor claw.
The fang marks for the locking lugs can be fixed by polishing the corners on the ejection side.
The mag marks, again, polishing.
It's really up to you if it bothers you enough. My long gun is polished, my SBR is not.
NRA life, GOA life, SAF, and TSRA
"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason, co-author, 2nd Amendment.
Posts: 184
Threads: 8
Joined: Dec 2011
Perfect. That's what I figured, just wanted to be sure. Thanks guys!
Posts: 328
Threads: 3
Joined: Jan 2012
bwaites Wrote:Lol! Rasp65 nailed them without the pictures!
yet another reason why this is such an outstanding forum. much free-flowing knowledge from very helpful shooters on this site.
Posts: 8,507
Threads: 241
Joined: Sep 2014
Your brass looks totally normal for an AR15, actually on the cleaner and less damaged side than what we might see in another rifle that is behaving within acceptable parameters.
NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO
CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor
6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:
www.AR15buildbox.com
Posts: 184
Threads: 8
Joined: Dec 2011
Great, just what I wanted to hear. New to reloading but have been collecting brass for all my calibers. Wasn't sure what I needed to be looking for. Thanks again for all the help guys.